Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If superhero comics were played more broadly comedic like Popeye, Peanuts or Archie, I can see why no one would even bother explaining the ages of characters dating back to World War 2, but keeping one foot in some kind of "realism" has always been part of superhero comics.

Just look at Action Comics #1, which actually spent time giving a "scientific explanation" for Superman's powers. Even characters that predated Superman, like Tarzan, came up with explanations for their longevity. Like it or not, pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo hand-waving away the sheer ridiculousness of superheroes so they can be somewhat plausible is a part of the earliest DNA of the concept.

Incredible Member

As much as I wasn't a real fan of the whole Onslaught/Heroes Reborn thing, maybe DC can just do a version of that. The JSA exist on Earth two with Ian Karkull/Ragnarok or whatever then somehow get transferred to crowded earth with muddled memories via Thunderbolt or whatever for a little while to account for the John's era adventures (which really don't account for too much time in a comic sense) only to return to their earth in Rebirth, where either the Infinity Inc kids have been running things in the interim or they came to crowded earth and returned as well. Makes as much sense as the melding of Superman memories/realities. It leaves the door open for the yearly crossover and those adventures when they were all on the same earth. Now is this earth set in the 80's or now? Whose to say it might be cool to not just have two versions of the exact same place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I really don't know why some fans are fixated on the ages of the JSAers. It's only a complaint I became aware of since the internet--where every discussion always gets bogged down in talking about it. Rich Morrissey had the attitude that it's a comic book and the characters don't age, end of discussion.
    The age of a character is not that big of an issue unless you have a fixed point in time for when they were in action. If many of the major heroes had a past story that involved specific events in history (like the Fantastic Four or Iron Man, both dealing with Communism), their stories are later changed slightly to remove the specific time-anchored event but otherwise are largely kept in tact. (The Fantastic Four no longer tried to beat the "commies" into space, and Iron Man's origin is shifted to a more recent war than Viet Nam.)
    But with the JSA, when you tie them into the World War II era, it doesn't play as well if you shift the event to something like the Viet Nam war or the Reagan presidency. Unless you have an event that removes the JSA from the regular timestream (like DC did when they reintroduced original Captain Marvel in the 1970s), age can become an issue for some of the characters.

What is everyone's favorite storyline of the Johns run? I just finished Fair Play and that's my favorite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    What is everyone's favorite storyline of the Johns run? I just finished Fair Play and that's my favorite so far.
    I would probably go with vol. 3 The Return Of Hawkman. That was quite an epic tale.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I would probably go with vol. 3 The Return Of Hawkman. That was quite an epic tale.
    Yeah, that along with Fair Play I enjoyed the most.

Mister Terrific and Black Adam are two of my favorites so far. Along with the old guard of course. I enjoyed 52 a hell of a lot and now I can appreciate Black Adam and Atom Smasher's relationship more.

It's a shame I wasn't a fan of Mr. Terrific's New 52 book. I bought it only because the cover looked amazing and I was a little familiar with him but not too much. I read I think 2 issues of that book and it stunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I'm in the middle of reading JSA: Lost (Vol. 9) and I'm enjoying that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

That was a good one! What did you think of prince of darkness, vol 7? It was nuts!

Some good stuff in there, but aside from the Hourman parts, it's not exactly my favorite JSA material. Now the trade after that...well I think you're gonna get a real kick out of that.

That was a good one! What did you think of prince of darkness, vol 7? It was nuts!
    That was definitely the peak of craziness for the whole series. Loved it.
    Current Top 20 Titles: New Super-Man and the Justice League of China/Runaways/Go Go Power Rangers/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Maxwell's Demons/Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles/Paper Girls/All-New Wolverine/Unbeatable Squirrel Girl/Quantum and Woody/Exiles/Fence/Domino/Mech Cadet Yu/X-Men Red/Ms. Marvel/Falcon/The Flash/The Wildstorm: Michael Cray/New Mutants: Dead Souls

It's been a while since I read that one, so I can't really recall.
    (I haven't been reading these in chronological order.)

(Looking at the covers to the JSA trades) Good times .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    (Looking at the covers to the JSA trades) Good times .
    Does anybody know if we already have a thread for JSA (1999-2006) arcs/trade collections (or might it be worth starting one)?

Does anybody know if we already have a thread for JSA (1999-2006) arcs/trade collections (or might it be worth starting one)?

If we don’t, I would definitely say it would be worth starting. I love that run!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Some good stuff in there, but aside from the Hourman parts, it's not exactly my favorite JSA material. Now the trade after that...well I think you're gonna get a real kick out of that.
    Just finished reading JSA: Black Vengeance (Vol. 10), and while there were parts I enjoyed, others were annoying.

In the first section ("JSA/JSA"), it was enjoyable but also naggingly convoluted the way the story had to make it so important that the Legacy JSA members had to convince their predecessors to resume their identities, especially since many of those predecessors hadn't been active with the JSA (at least in published stories) for years. As it was, it was hard for me to define how "important" some of them were to defeating Degaton's plans.
    Also curious: why didn't Johns include former JSA member Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance) in the group he brought back to 1951 since her mother (Dinah Drake Lance) was present for both the Justice Society's last Golden Age appearance and was part of the group's first post-disbanding story (in the 1991 eight-issue limited series)? At least I can understand not having Jade or Obsidian involved from the standpoint that they hadn't really been JSA members yet, and Golden Age Hawkman & Hawkgirl's son might have been harder for Rip Hunter to reach out to (Hector being the then-current Doctor Fate).

As for the "Black Vengeance" arc (with an out-of-control Spectre and Jean Loring as Eclipso), Geoff Johns does seem to love writing those "doom-and-gloom/death-and-destruction" stories, doesn't he?

Fantastic Member Captain Midnight's Avatar

Got a hunch they might be back soon
    Somewhere the Justice Society of America is shaking their heads in disbelief
    Mr. Oz is secretly holding Captain America for Joe Quesada