Super Moderator

Default Allison Types - Jun 30, 2014

This week Allison talks with her husband and Monkeybrain co-publisher Chris Roberson about her new roles as IDW's Director of Operations.

Full article here.

This was fun and cute article. I have to appreciate Allison's enthusiasm for IDW's diversity agenda. I think it's extremely vital for this industry to create various niches as opposed to just sticking with one that has the lowest risk. However I would like to point out that as much as I like the idea of children's licensed comics like My Little Pony....the price point of comics ($3.99) today kills any chance of it gaining longterm success. I think children's comics that are aimed at 12 year olds or younger shouldn't be more than a dollar for 25+ pages of story. I really don't know how that can be accomplished in floppy format. I'm not sure children are exposed to digital comics, which would be easier to lower the price.

As much as I've praised children's licensed comics, the general population of America remains ignorant about who comics are for. By large most think of superheroes aimed at adolescent boys. So while we do need more access to younger materiel, I think the market could use some adult materiel (licensed or otherwise) that do not revolve around superheroes. But most importantly these books should be accessible, much like The Walking Dead, which has steadily increased it's readership thanks to the TV show. When I say Accessible I mean one book to follow, not 2 or 3 spin-offs. Which is something IDW needs to consider with their Transformers, GIJOE, and Star Trek franchises....just too many spin-offs. I actually want to get into a GIJOE book...but I have no clue where to start, nor do I know which is the "regular or main" GIJOE book.

So if Allison can help Streamline IDW's books, there will be a lot less cancellations and reboots. Looking forward to seeing what she can do.

My eyes began bleeding 1/5 of the way through this.........

Quote Originally Posted by cray_ws View Post
    This was fun and cute article. I have to appreciate Allison's enthusiasm for IDW's diversity agenda. I think it's extremely vital for this industry to create various niches as opposed to just sticking with one that has the lowest risk. However I would like to point out that as much as I like the idea of children's licensed comics like My Little Pony....the price point of comics ($3.99) today kills any chance of it gaining longterm success. I think children's comics that are aimed at 12 year olds or younger shouldn't be more than a dollar for 25+ pages of story. I really don't know how that can be accomplished in floppy format. I'm not sure children are exposed to digital comics, which would be easier to lower the price.
    I think there is definitely room for manga or Archie-sized digest books. 150-200 page comic printed on toilet paper-quality paper for 5-10 bucks is in the right price range for kids (and their parents). 4 dollars for a premium quality 20 page comic that is just going to be mangled by children is not a good investment, especially not with how cheap other forms of entertainment have become.

Having said that, many of the new properties acquired by comic book companies (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, My Little Pony) have markets that are broader than just kids, so I can see the value of creating normal comics for them (although they should all have low budget/cheap trade paperbacks that can be sold in stores to snag that kid market).

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    I think there is definitely room for manga or Archie-sized digest books. 150-200 page comic printed on toilet paper-quality paper for 5-10 bucks is in the right price range for kids (and their parents). 4 dollars for a premium quality 20 page comic that is just going to be mangled by children is not a good investment, especially not with how cheap other forms of entertainment have become.

Having said that, many of the new properties acquired by comic book companies (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, My Little Pony) have markets that are broader than just kids, so I can see the value of creating normal comics for them (although they should all have low budget/cheap trade paperbacks that can be sold in stores to snag that kid market).
    A big part of what parents look for when they buy reading material for their kids is the value of what they are getting. They are more inclined to buy something new, whether it's a toy or snack if the price is deemed worth it. When I say something new, I'm talking about coming across product with no preconceived notions, such as not knowing whether your kid likes Dexter's Lab or not. A parent will jump if they see a really good deal. So I think it's important to price these comics accordingly. I love that IDW is picking up these licenses, as I think they can really raise the profile of their imprint. I just think on long term basis, they need to be priced effectively and remain free of spinoffs so they can be accessible to anyone.

Meh. Methinks there's far more wrong wrong with IDW than just issues relating to titles. For starters, they're pretty big on themselves and not very supportive of legitimate new media outlets. You can pick up new licenses all you want, but if you're completely unwilling and/or unresponsive to working with new media to get the word out on you, your titles, and what you're doing, then who cares? It's not like anyone will know what you're doing, especially when you shoot yourself in the foot by ignoring folks trying to do you and your titles a solid by just being there.

Congrats Allison. I had missed the original announcement-- you are a great fit for the role and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Hopefully Allison will help steer IDW in a better direction. They are cranking out a lot of popular licensed properties but aside from those, little original material. Locke & Key was an opportunity to boost original output but I haven't seen much in the way of that.

It's all well and good encouraging kids to read My Little Pony and whatnot but if you don't supplement that with stuff that complement that demographic then you aren't really encouraging comics readers that will become loyal to your company.

I haz hope Allison can help make IDW a more creditable company for comics