View Poll Results: How do you feel about him?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love him

    31 14.09%
  • Too early to tell, give it time

    106 48.18%
  • Dislike him

    83 37.73%
Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707677787980818283 LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1238
  1. #1186
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Yeah, the over the top nature of some people's hatred for Duke isn't really making me hate the character either though it's certanly making me annoyed with certain people both here and in real life.
    This is a comic book forum; everyone has the right to say what they please, as long as they stay in the guidelines. You'll notice that this thread is twice the size of the Duke Appreciation thread. It's obvious from the first word or two of a post how people feel; you can always stop reading right there and go back to the Appreciation thread. If people wanna bitch, let 'em bitch. It's not like DC is listening so I don't have a problem with people letting off some steam.

  2. #1187
    THE RED HOOD JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WITH THE OUTLAWS
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    This is a comic book forum; everyone has the right to say what they please, as long as they stay in the guidelines. You'll notice that this thread is twice the size of the Duke Appreciation thread. It's obvious from the first word or two of a post how people feel; you can always stop reading right there and go back to the Appreciation thread. If people wanna bitch, let 'em bitch. It's not like DC is listening so I don't have a problem with people letting off some steam.
    Letting off steam is perfectly fine and I have no problem with people who are doing so or who have bothered to explain why they are having such a problem with the character but there are few posters who are over the top about it. Also I don't care for the condescending attitude toward people who happen to like the character on the part of those who hate him. We have just as much of a right to be in this post as you do. As you say this is a forum and everyone has a right to their opinions.

    Aftershock: Alters
    DC: Action/BM/Batman Beyond/Blue Beetle/Flash/Gotham City Garage/GLS/JLA/Kamandi/Mister Miracle/NS-M/NW: The New Order/RHATO/SG/SM/Super Sons/TT/Trinity
    Lion Forge: Accell/Astonisher/Incidentals/Jazz Maynard/Noble/Superb/VLD
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Eternity/Harbringer Renegade/Ninja-K/Q&W/War Mother/X-O

  3. #1188
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    This is a comic book forum; everyone has the right to say what they please, as long as they stay in the guidelines. You'll notice that this thread is twice the size of the Duke Appreciation thread. It's obvious from the first word or two of a post how people feel; you can always stop reading right there and go back to the Appreciation thread. If people wanna bitch, let 'em bitch. It's not like DC is listening so I don't have a problem with people letting off some steam.
    As long as it remains THAT.

    Not elsewhere where you get attacked for being a POC, LGBT, female, Inhuman, an employee of a company, not starring in a book with FF or X-men, drinking milkshakes or calling for boycotts of books based on no data.

    At least folks here have READ something with Duke in it.

    I think the point is why blame Duke for what is being done to others when he has nothing to do with it.

    Now has Duke benefited? Only if the crap down to others like Tim was so bad that it was better to not use him-just to be able to tell a story without whoever has an issue with the ENTIRE 90s teens screwing it up.

    Now what would be the point of all that rage when others got it like Damian and ended up getting hosed over like Tim and the rest?

  4. #1189
    THE RED HOOD JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WITH THE OUTLAWS
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As long as it remains THAT.
    It's a fine line to be sure and honestly I feel that some people have crossed it on occasion. That's just my personal opinion though. Everyone's mileage may vary.

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000
    I think the point is why blame Duke for what is being done to others when he has nothing to do with it.
    That's my point. Duke isn't what is keeping them from using other Bat characters in their stories, though he is the one getting the backlash for it certainly. Snyder and others at DC are the real ones to blame for this mess.

    Aftershock: Alters
    DC: Action/BM/Batman Beyond/Blue Beetle/Flash/Gotham City Garage/GLS/JLA/Kamandi/Mister Miracle/NS-M/NW: The New Order/RHATO/SG/SM/Super Sons/TT/Trinity
    Lion Forge: Accell/Astonisher/Incidentals/Jazz Maynard/Noble/Superb/VLD
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Eternity/Harbringer Renegade/Ninja-K/Q&W/War Mother/X-O

  5. #1190
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Why is DC taking objects from the Bat-mythos and turning them into hero names? Batwing and now the Signal, whats next someone named the batmobile or bat-pole?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff

  6. #1191
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Why is DC taking objects from the Bat-mythos and turning them into hero names? Batwing and now the Signal, whats next someone named the batmobile or bat-pole?
    "Christine the ballerina, from now on, you will be known as, "Shark Repellent!""
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

    "Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

  7. #1192
    Incredible Member Lady Nightwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Kilkenny, Ireland
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Why is DC taking objects from the Bat-mythos and turning them into hero names? Batwing and now the Signal, whats next someone named the batmobile or bat-pole?
    The Signal is not a great name but it's no worse than Lark IMO. With the new outfit he really does look like Batboy. I dislike the name Batwing, after watching an episode of Conan O'Brien I learned it has an unfortunate double meaning. Though I can imagine a gaggle of teenage Robins getting a laugh out of it.

  8. #1193
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    https://twitter.com/CullyHamner/stat...77802895261701

    This new costume isn't even his actual new look.
    Facepalm, even malnourished children in Africa aren't as desperate for food as someone's need for Duke to be a thing.

  9. #1194
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    "Christine the ballerina, from now on, you will be known as, "Shark Repellent!""
    That's "Bat-Shark Repellent!!!!!" Christine the Batterina, are you listening?

  10. #1195
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    The Signal is not a great name but it's no worse than Lark IMO. With the new outfit he really does look like Batboy. I dislike the name Batwing, after watching an episode of Conan O'Brien I learned it has an unfortunate double meaning. Though I can imagine a gaggle of teenage Robins getting a laugh out of it.
    Nah - Lark is awesome! I want a whole flock of birds following Batman and making the world a better place. The Signal is so impersonal. Like "The Lightbulb" or "The Rock." Though if he were played by a teenage The Rock, I might like it more.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

  11. #1196
    Incredible Member Lady Nightwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Kilkenny, Ireland
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Nah - Lark is awesome! I want a whole flock of birds following Batman and making the world a better place. The Signal is so impersonal. Like "The Lightbulb" or "The Rock." Though if he were played by a teenage The Rock, I might like it more.
    I dunno Robin gets a pass, it was created back in the day and it's well established. I don't care for Bluebird. Does it have any meaning other than she likes the colour blue and it fits the bird theme? Lark Is not very threatening. It doesn't seem like something that would drive fear into superstitious and cowardly lot. The Signal at least calls to mind Batman. My main problem with that is it sort of undermines Duke a bit.

  12. #1197
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I dunno Robin gets a pass, it was created back in the day and it's well established.
    And it was iirc originally a reference to Robin Hood and not to the Bird. (The thing with Robin being a nickname Dick's mother gave him is a addition from the 90s).

  13. #1198
    Incredible Member Lady Nightwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Kilkenny, Ireland
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    And it was iirc originally a reference to Robin Hood and not to the Bird. (The thing with Robin being a nickname Dick's mother gave him is a addition from the 90s).
    I think you're right. But I was saying that Robin is iconic now, it gets a free pass. Lark and Bluebird are just cute bird names. They have no real meaning for Duke and Harper. It's not like Stephanie who created the Spoiler persona for herself or Jason who took the Red Hood identity and made it his own or the sweet, touching way that Superman helped Dick out by telling him about Nightwing. Lark and Bluebird are just fulfilling a weird bird aesthetic, with no emotional resonance to the characters. At least Duke might have a chance to make The Signal his own thing. Fingers crossed that it's Dukes idea and not a Bat mandated name.

  14. #1199
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Not sure how much of a chance Duke is really being given to make The Signal his own thing draped in all that Batman paraphernalia.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-10-2017 at 05:48 AM.

  15. #1200
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I dunno Robin gets a pass, it was created back in the day and it's well established. I don't care for Bluebird. Does it have any meaning other than she likes the colour blue and it fits the bird theme? Lark Is not very threatening. It doesn't seem like something that would drive fear into superstitious and cowardly lot. The Signal at least calls to mind Batman. My main problem with that is it sort of undermines Duke a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I think you're right. But I was saying that Robin is iconic now, it gets a free pass. Lark and Bluebird are just cute bird names. They have no real meaning for Duke and Harper. It's not like Stephanie who created the Spoiler persona for herself or Jason who took the Red Hood identity and made it his own or the sweet, touching way that Superman helped Dick out by telling him about Nightwing. Lark and Bluebird are just fulfilling a weird bird aesthetic, with no emotional resonance to the characters. At least Duke might have a chance to make The Signal his own thing. Fingers crossed that it's Dukes idea and not a Bat mandated name.
    Well, to me, I never bought the Robin Hood thing, because it was such a retcon. The bird theme makes me smile - trying to make it scary or threatening doesn't matter to me, because ultimately, Batman may be more "realistic" than other superheros, but he's still a deeply symbolic figure, and his family also having symbolism works for me. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine. But I love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Not sure how much of a chance Duke is really being given to make The Signal his own thing draped in all that Batman paraphernalia.
    Well, he's the Batsignal.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •