Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Legendary Star-Lord, #1

"Legendary Star-Lord" #1 sets Peter Quill off on a solo adventure written by Sam Humphries and drawn by Paco Medina.

Full review here.

Read the issue myself... I wouldn't give it a 4 ou of 5. It was definietly average at best. The ending reveal and kitty flirting isn't that great as many other sites hype it up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    "Legendary Star-Lord" #1 sets Peter Quill off on a solo adventure written by Sam Humphries and drawn by Paco Medina.

"Humphries' interpretation of Peter Quill is a charming gambler, never too concerned about himself to do the right thing. Quill has been a placeholder in other books, but here, under the spotlight, Humphries is ready to let Star-Lord shine."

Full review here.
    Hehe, nice burn for Bendis there.

But that's exactly what I needed to hear.
    Quill is a FAR more well rounded character then he's been portrayed as in the main GotG series thus far.
    Let that whiny daddy-issues Quill fade away forever with that embarrassingly bad sparkly blue-lightning costume.

Will be picking this up tomorrow, and I'll hopefully be agreeing with the reviewer.

I thought Peter Quill was completely driven by Vengence in the beginning? Guess i'll save my critique until get my hands on the first issue, hope it's good!

The kitty stuff was... ugh. Could have been a lot better. The issue on the whole wasn't bad at all. But the Kitty stuff. Not good.

Yeah the Kitty stuff was kind of meh. Outside of that, it wasn't too bad at all. More development for Quill than he's gotten in Guardians.

That outfit is so incredibly stupid-looking. It works for a comedic take on him -- in the film, but without a 70s soundtrack to make this pop, I don't see this series taking off.

Personally, I'd like to see his classic uniform return. Maybe he could find "Ship" in this series. That would be great.

Peter Quill having a biracial sister he's never heard makes no sense and is really stupid! If you want to have Peter Quill have a Spartoid villain then give Gareth, Peter's uncle a son or daughter out for revenge against Peter for killing there father that would be a great inverse of Star-Lords origin story but this just seems like a big slap in the face to continuity since J'son had adopted sons and daughters and that Peter being his blood was a big deal, and also reinforces the fact that making Peter Quill blonde again was pointless if it has nothing to do with the Spartoid being people of the sun or to tell you are a descanted of the royal family. Hopefully she's just adopted like Peter's other brothers and sisters.
    Last edited by Trevel8182; 07-02-2014 at 12:46 PM.

BANNED

I liked it.

People obsessed with continuity or who can't let go of past interpretations probably won't...
    but whatever. It was a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    The kitty stuff was... ugh. Could have been a lot better. The issue on the whole wasn't bad at all. But the Kitty stuff. Not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Yeah the Kitty stuff was kind of meh. Outside of that, it wasn't too bad at all. More development for Quill than he's gotten in Guardians.
    Good to know. Would only have picked up for Kitty's appearance but it sounds like I can wait 6 months until it hits Marvel Unlimited.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Laurel Lance, Carol Danvers, Kitty Pryde, Bobbi Morse, Kate Bishop, Forever Carlyle, Cast of Death Vigil
    Pull List: Black Widow, Death Vigil, Lazarus, Velvet, Rat Queens, Captain Marvel, Red Sonja, All-New & Uncanny X-Men

So...is Medina the new Paul Pelletier for the new Marvel Cosmic? That's a shame. He's of decent quality, but he's no Pelletier.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Peter Quill having a biracial sister he's never heard makes no sense and is really stupid! If you want to have Peter Quill have a Spartoid villain then give Gareth, Peter's uncle a son or daughter out for revenge against Peter for killing there father that would be a great inverse of Star-Lords origin story but this just seems like a big slap in the face to continuity since J'son had adopted sons and daughters and that Peter being his blood was a big deal, and also reinforces the fact that making Peter Quill blonde again was pointless if it has nothing to do with the Spartoid being people of the sun or to tell you are a descanted of the royal family. Hopefully she's just adopted like Peter's other brothers and sisters.
    What continuity? All of the classic Star-Lord stuff is non-continuity. Frankly, all of the modern Star-Lord stuff has been just throwing random whatevers at the wall.

Fun issue! I enjoyed the comedy quite a bit. The Kitty scene was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    The old continuity was thrown out when Peter came back in Giffen's run during Thanos #7-12. He was a different Peter then, and under Bendis he's a much different Peter. So take it as completely different characters, otherwise it will hurt our brains.

The issue read well, but this Peter was more the movie Star-Lord then anything else. He's even different from Bandis' Star-Lord. No one seems to write a definitve Star-Lord. He's whatever the story needs him to be apparently.

That said, I would love Ship to make a return. She was one of the best parts of the old stories.