Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default X-POSITION: Bunn Brings "Magneto" to "AXIS"

Cullen Bunn joins X-Position to discuss Magneto's current status quo and his involvement in the upcoming "AXIS" event.

Full article here.

Good x-pos. I'm guessing magneto's powers are still broken, so going forward will be interesting.

Good interview. He seems to get more confident with each interview as he should since it's fantastic. Looking forward to tomorrow's issue.

Bunn said on tumblr that Magneto's powers being broken is different from Scott.

Cool

Yay they included two of my questions. he didn`t say much but I hope he gets the space and time to develop all those subplots.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

Yes, Bunn has a pretty good handle on the character although perhaps I am saying that because it is precisely how I have felt about the character all along and I am glad a writer shares that view. Looking forward to how things unfold going forward.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Hardie! Franche! Claire! People Of The Earth's Avatar

Nice interview, really insightful ! Though I'm surprised about him "discovering" via someone else that the Red Skull roaming right now is just a fake copy of the original.
    That's not the first time some writers seem to be disconnected with what's going on in the rest of their shared universe...
    Not a fan of Magneto, probably never will, yet it's a read I look forward to every week because of the sheer quality.
    Bunn is doing a remarkable work.
    "When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance you don't really have to do anything — you just let them talk."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Nice interview, really insightful ! Though I'm surprised about him "discovering" via someone else that the Red Skull roaming right now is just a fake copy of the original.
    That's not the first time some writers seem to be disconnected with what's going on in the rest of their shared universe...
    Not a fan of Magneto, probably never will, yet it's a read I look forward to every week because of the sheer quality.
    Bunn is doing a remarkable work.
    I believe that would be his editor is nice to know how he and Bunn communicate to avoid continuity problems. I agree with Bunn in that it would be very confusing to talk about "original red skull" "clones"etc.

I am a Magneto fan, I donīt completely like Bunnīs take on the character given heīs a little too dark for my tastes which is a given with the "Noir" context of the comic, but I also find his take interesting enough to see where it will lead the character. I just hope he is given enough time to tell the story he has in mind, is true that Solos today donīt last much.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-01-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

Ugh, not looking forward to Rogue being in this. Just like Gambit Mags is a much more interesting character when he isn't with her. Hopefully Rogue guilt tripping him doesn't make for too much of a distraction.

I donīt think he will be with her. Bunn probably will just have them talk and then they will go their separate ways. I am looking forward to it because he really has been doing his research about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I donīt think he will be with her. Bunn probably will just have them talk and then they will go their separate ways. I am looking forward to it because he really has been doing his research about them.
    I am hoping for at least balance. The same thing that happened in the GAMBIT book; Rogue being all judgmental and negative. But ideally, I'd really love for Mr. Bunn to leave Rogue and Magneto alone, for the opposite reasons than some folks here. Because I am a Rogneto fan, and I don't want to see a potential future relationship messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    I am hoping for at least balance. The same thing that happened in the GAMBIT book; Rogue being all judgmental and negative. But ideally, I'd really love for Mr. Bunn to leave Rogue and Magneto alone, for the opposite reasons than some folks here. Because I am a Rogneto fan, and I don't want to see a potential future relationship messed up.
    But we donīt know it will be messed up or even a relationship. I agree it most probably will be a short story. I am not so much a Rogneto fan but I enjoy some aspects of their relationship be it a friendship or a romance, but I think they are too apart in their pov atm for Mr. Bunn to realistically addres a romantic relationship between them imo he would really need to force the subject for that to happen and he himself has said he doesnīt really has much space for that.

I just want to point out that Derek was incorrect in his assessment of Magneto's actions after the Savage Land arc. And Cullen Bunn should have called him on it, instead of agreeing.

Magneto did not declare war on humanity again, at the end of UNCANNY #275. It's quite the opposite. He told Rogue, he could never be a Xavierite, could never BE Xavier, and that he was off to hunt down evil mutants and people who threaten mutants--pretty much what he's doing now in this series.

Except, he didn't end up doing that. He spiraled into depression instead. He built himself a fancy "Asteroid M" III, replete with palaces and swimming pools, and retreated there, fed up with all of humanity, mutant and non mutant alike. This was the furthest from declaring war on humanity as it gets.

He wanted nothing to do with anyone. But then, in Claremont's X-MEN #1 (the original adjectiveless X-MEN), Fabian Cortez led the future acolytes to his doorstep, leading to maybe the most iconic Magneto moment in Marvel history, with him standing in space, saying, "I am Magneto! This is my home."

It was Cortez who manipulated Magneto into becoming a terrorist once more, along with the X-Men being so ready to misjudge him. Magneto most certainly was very reluctant to get involved with that life again. He was kind of pushed into it, and into psychosis, and he spent the next few weeks either injured, playing defense on Avalon, or psycho until he was mind-wiped by Charles Xavier.

Xmen-page02-03.jpg

Hey I got my question answered.
    This was a good interview and I'm really enjoying Bunn's take on Magneto. I hope his story doesn't get hurt by the Axis event. If Magneto really is a key player in it then whatever Remender decides to do with him, sadly Bunn has to deal with.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona

He mentioned an Issue 13. So that means it will at least get a 3rd Arc.

No doubt the AXIS tie-ins will help sales. Plus strong reception to the series is another boost. Hoping we can get to 24 issues at least.