Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    I have not read a positive review of this thing. Sad, really. Spidey could work on stage, especially with U2 penned songs. A Batman musical would be possibly even more awesome, though.
    http://www.batmanlive.com/
    "A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step."

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

The guy who played Norman Osborn was terrific and some of the music is catchy.

- Jason G. Carr

Spectacular Member

I haven’t seen it, but I have read up on it.

The story was silly and stupid, but I liked the music. Especially Peter’s solos.

Peter Parker was played by Reeve Carney Penny dreadful's Dorian Gray.
    Hail Hydra!

I wanted to see it. I very curious to the story changes the show went through (I heard it went through many story changes from opening previews to closing). I heard that the cd music is missing many songs plus how they sing them on the cd is different to how they are performed on the show itself (very disappointing but not shocking as I've seen other shows where the songs on the cd and how it's presented on the show is very different)

Spider-man and any comic hero could have a great show and stunts if written and done well. To be honest the production tossed alot of money and rushed it out vs other shows whom would have test runs in other locations before going to the experience Broadway scene. Aladdin had 3 years of runs and changes starting in Seattle then Ivins, Utah, St. Louis, and many other places before going to Broadway.

"Aladdin had a pre-Broadway tryout at the Ed Mirvish Theatre in Toronto, Ontario, from November 2013 to January 2014. Nicholaw again directed and choreographed, with book and additional lyrics by Beguelin, scenic design by Bob Crowley, and costume design by Gregg Barnes.

The musical premiered on Broadway on February 26, 2014, in previews and officially opened on March 20, 2014, at the New Amsterdam Theatre, taking the place of Mary Poppins. The show was nominated for five Tony Awards, winning one for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical for James Monroe Iglehart. The cast album was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album."

Disney knew that greatness took time and test runs and according to some reviews the show was different from it's Toronto run. Some songs got cut while others added in or altered, story was tweaked, and so on which for good musicals that isn't shocking to read about.

In Spider-man the producers got a famous director who did a good job with Lion King but she made many costly decisions and many of the costly effects and props made in the end wasn't used. When making the musical no story was in place and the story that was made wasn't well put together from the start which added to the costs and lack of quality. Bono and the Edge's might be a famous singers and songwriters but writing for a musical shows vs for a cd album can be different experience. Finally the stunts could've been great and worthy of a show in itself (I'm think Cirque de Soleil stunts and training) associated to Spider-man but it feels they pushed themselves but didn't properly test the stunts, lack of experience to master, not everybody was on point, or knowledge in training and safety measures if needed.

Overall it felt like "We are inexperienced but Let's toss tons of money relying on the Brand name and big names to advertise the show and get it out as soon as possible without proper test shows outside of Broadway to test publics to see what needs to be changed story and/or songs to make money now!" Usually that creates disaster and a production nightmare. Now this wasn't fully the case as the show production started in 2002 but death and inexperience hurt this show and when experienced talent finally came in to help late in the game it was far too late and deep in debt and advertise by other shows and people as a flop and a joke.

The wiki page has alot of info about the show and it's production woes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider...n_Off_the_Dark

Personally I saw on the Late Show the performance of "A Freak Like Me Needs Company" and loved it and read that the actor for the Green Goblin did a fantastic job and entertainly chewed the scenery.

I saw it in April 2012 and thought it was decent, I'm glad I saw it. The stunts were pretty impressive, the music was reasonable and I particularly enjoyed Green Goblin and Jonah's roles. The villains looked terrible though!