Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Which part? The Owlman thing was the epilogue to JL #50, and the Dr. Manhattan reveal & Pandora's fate were in Rebirth #1. The rest is just my conjecture

Edit: As for worth reading, it's hard to say. I've been a trade-waiter since Batman Inc ended, so I wasn't following JL or Superman. I did pick up Rebirth (worth it, I'd say) and it immediately told me I needed to read JL 50 and Superman #52 before continuing...so like a sucker, I bought them lol Both issues were good reads, but I will admit to being a little lost for a few pages.
    Yeah I only got Rebirth and saw references to "the chair", was wondering how else the Watchmen characters were showing up. Thanks!

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Also, it irks the CRAP outta me that Johns doesn't know something about Batman as simple as the fact that Alfred would NEVER call Bruce "Master Wayne". This dude is being called a genius and writing the batman movie? No thanks.
    While it irks me too, it's not like it's just Johns who does it. The live-action movies have been doing it for a while.

It's better then when Johns (or even Greg Pak) is writing Alfred and he just calls him "Bruce" all the time. That really irks me.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "hope v. despair, love v. indifference, 'Watchmen' made super-hero comics dark, yada yada..."

That's not what this is about in my mind. All that stuff is just to justify what this has always been about: $Money$

Comics got "dark" when comic book fans were getting older and unlike previous generations, *continued to read comics* rather than outgrow them. So, DC put forth product that would appeal to their more adult sensibilities.

Now, with the WB, movies, merchandising, etc becoming the real money-maker, they can't put out product that is only going to appeal to the niche adult super-hero comics fan. It's become much bigger and has to have broader appeal - all ages, "four quadrant" appeal, *kids* again. Thus, the new "happy" post-birth DCU.

IMO...
    Well, I think money is obviously a factor because DC has lost a lot of market share and have had to reevaluate what they're doing, what their fans want, and the current comic market. So, yeah, a part of it is obviously that they want to make more money, because they're a business.

But that doesn't mean the message behind Rebirth and what Johns is trying to do is any less relevant or true.

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post

My only beef with it was that it set up this premise - as I understood it - of hope and new heroism - and then the adverts at the back just seemed like the same old same old.

'Wally West uncovers a secret that will destroy his friends!'

'The Biggest Threat facing Earth's new Green Lanterns IS EACH OTHER!'

And my least favourite:

Wonder Woman's 'Everything SHE KNOWS & TRUSTS will be TAKEN from her'

I mean - really? How about "Wonder Woman: Submit to love!" (I jest - or do I....?)

I dunno - just felt like a let down.
    LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the same thing.

I LOVED Rebirth though.
    If the new books have the same vibe as this one I think this reboot could work out pretty well.
    "Yeah, but where's [INSERT CHARACTER'S NAME HERE]??"
    - The CBR Marvel Comics Forum Motto

Avatar by: http://blushmallet.tumblr.com/

There still has to actually be, you know, conflict in the books.

That said, I think it would be an interesting experiment if DC did an arc or two where the characters basically just wiped the floor with the villains, nobody got hurt, and everybody had ice cream at the end. Just to see how people react.
    For the love of God, people, just put "In my opinion..." at the beginning of your posts so that we can stop wasting bandwidth arguing about whether someone was trying to express a fact or not.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    There still has to actually be, you know, conflict in the books.

That said, I think it would be an interesting experiment if DC did an arc or two where the characters basically just wiped the floor with the villains, nobody got hurt, and everybody had ice cream at the end. Just to see how people react.
    You mean full-on Silver Age reversion?

Let's party like it's 1959!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Veteran Member

this has a chance to be one of DC's greatest "villain" arcs if they play their cards right with Manhattan

I hope this is a 2-3 year arc and not a short thing

Can't believe people are asking 10 for this comic on eBay already lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Actually, she appeared in those first issues because they thought it was a novel idea and would give an impression that New52 and Flashpoint really were connected.

And in Rebirth #1 I think she gives away her real purpose, as now envisioned, of being an agent of Dr. Manhattan's.
    I don't think it was for a novel idea; DC stated there was a reason for her Pandora appearing in all those issues

Well next month, this question will finally start to get answered. TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA will find this mysterious character starring in her own ongoing series. Today, take a look at this incredible spread from the series’ debut issue, which shows Pandora’s appearances in all of the New 52 #1s. The twist? They’re all seen from her perspective for the very first time. She’s clearly on a mission to find something … but what – or who – could that be?
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/05...hes-the-new-52

So, in Trinity of Sin Pandora #1, Shazam told her that someone can open the box and break her curse.

I don't think that panel reveals her as being an agent of Dr. Manhattan, not to mention it wouldn't make sense after all she has been through. I do think it reveals she finally knows who was responsible for putting Pandora's box in front of her thousands of years ago. But nothing more.
    Last edited by AriesWarlock; 05-26-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AriesWarlock View Post
    I don't think it was for a novel idea; DC stated there was a reason for her Pandora appearing in all those issues

So, in Trinity of Sin Pandora #1, Shazam told her that someone can open the box and break her curse.

I don't think that panel reveals her as being an agent of Dr. Manhattan, not to mention it wouldn't make sense after all she has been through. I do think it reveals she finally knows who was responsible for putting Pandora's box in front of her thousands of years ago. But nothing more.
    I figure it works like this.

Dr. Manhattan finds Pandora in pre-Flashpoint. Gets her to participate in the new52 changeo.

Pandora does it, but then quickly falls victim to the same changes. The Pandora we saw after the last issue of Flashpoint was actually the new52 version of Pandora. That's why in her series she didn't do or say anything that had anything to do with what she said to Flash during Flashpoint - she forgot all of that.

Until Dr. Manhattan reveals to her that she was involved in what he did. She yells back at him, and...zap.
    For the love of God, people, just put "In my opinion..." at the beginning of your posts so that we can stop wasting bandwidth arguing about whether someone was trying to express a fact or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AriesWarlock View Post

Probably, I skipped a lot of New52 books between 2012 and 2014.
    However, to me, her dialogue read a lot like an assistant to a scientist who suddenly disagrees with the ethics of the experiments and wants nothing more to do with it.
    Marv Wolfman, regarding Convergence: New Teen Titans: "I've got to say that after I handed in the book, I got a call from Dan (Didio) and at some point he said, 'You really love those characters, don't you?'"

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I figure it works like this.

Dr. Manhattan finds Pandora in pre-Flashpoint. Gets her to participate in the new52 changeo.

Pandora does it, but then quickly falls victim to the same changes. The Pandora we saw after the last issue of Flashpoint was actually the new52 version of Pandora. That's why in her series she didn't do or say anything that had anything to do with what she said to Flash during Flashpoint - she forgot all of that.

Until Dr. Manhattan reveals to her that she was involved in what he did. She yells back at him, and...zap.
    That makes sense.
    I would go so far to say that her appearances in the first issues were part of Manhattan's plan and her falling victim to the changes happens immediately after.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-26-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    Marv Wolfman, regarding Convergence: New Teen Titans: "I've got to say that after I handed in the book, I got a call from Dan (Didio) and at some point he said, 'You really love those characters, don't you?'"

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    I don't think the later works well. Wally mentions that he had gotten lost in the speedforce before, but returned due to Linda, and that doesn't seem to be some memory from another life, but his own. We only see the whole backstory about him disappearing during a battle from the New 52 Teen Titans from Barry, who initially didn't even remember Wally. Wally's own memories before the speedforce are all from before Flashpoint. The Titans Hunt backstory just seems to be way that the current world found to fit him there, rather than some event that actually happened. Remember, although the Teen Titans team was forgotten, none of the individual members were, only Wally. So, it's more likely that his disappearance had nothing to do with the Teen Titans' event.
    Exactly. Plus Wally pretty much says as much, to boot.
    ANAD Marvel
    All-New Wolverine, All-New X-Men, Astonishing Ant-Man, Black Panther,
    Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spidey
    DC Rebirth
    !: Detective Comics, Batman, Nightwing, Gotham Academy, Blue Beetle, Titans
    ?: Action Comics, Superman, Wonder Woman, Trinity, Super-Sons, Batman Beyond
    Other
    Archie, Betty & Veronica, Jughead, Mezolith, Morning Glories, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine, The Woods,...

1) What does Dr. Fate's appearance here mean for the current Dr. Fate series?

2) Vixen? Steel? Captain Atom? Beast Boy? What are they doing here and when was the last time we saw them in DC comics?

3) From the group shot at the end of the book it looks like the Captain Marvel family is returning.

4) Not another 'mystery' that is going to take years to solve if it does get solved. Comics move at a bit of a slow pace nowadays with it taking six issues to tell one story.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I wonder how old the original JSA members must be? I mean looking at Johnny Thunder and that we are going with the idea that they fought in WWII they must be getting up there in age unless their powers manage to keep them young. Of course they will probably also go with Geoff Johns JSA run idea of recruiting younger heroes related to past members, why else would they mention Johnny Thunders grandson.
    Well they do say that Johnny Thunder was born in 1917 so he is pushing 100.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

This was your standard setup scenes for other books while having someone narrating to tie it all together. I was hoping for our heroes going against some big villain who could remake the universe but is partial stopped at the end. Our heroes thinking that the villain was stopped but some changes did happen.