Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    King stands a good chance of matching or outdoing Snyder it seems.

But we have to remember that Capullo is a big reason why Snyder's run is so liked, and I'm not sure King will have the art talent like Snyder.
    King has a alot of ticks that really turned me off him, but so did Snyder. I don't know if I'll like King's Batman run, but I don't think it will be worse for me than Snyders.

That said, he has Janin on art for at least every other arc and Janin will absorb a lot of problems. His work really is beautiful and (other than the occasional same facing), don't think he has any weak spots.

I can't imagine enjoying Batman comics less than I have during Snyder's tenure.

I have high hopes for Mr. King.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It's not too often that I'm as excited as I am. King & Snyder at the same time is great and diverse. Yes, we'll able to compare and contrast their approaches/tones/personalities (makes you wonder if either writer will bend on their approach for the sake of the other (assuming their approaches will be significantly different)).

I loved when we had Morrison going and Snyder on Tec for Black Mirror and then Batman. (Morrison & Dini was ok too, but a bit hit & miss on Dini's part IMHO)

(Sadly, Batman seems to be the only DC character who has a realistic chance of having two top talents on his main books at once)
    Well to be fair Batman had Daniels and Finch on Tec and TDK lol and Tynion isn't exactly wowing many people unless they're Cass and Bluebird fans.

Veteran Member

I have high hopes from King but I dont really get the angle of his Batman book. Snyder and Tynion have established the tone, setting and the type of stories they'll be telling but King just comes across like a question mark.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I have high hopes from King but I dont really get the angle of his Batman book. Snyder and Tynion have established the tone, setting and the type of stories they'll be telling but King just comes across like a question mark.
    He is a question mark as far as his Bruce & Batman. I don't think he's done any interviews tipping his hand on how his approach will be different or similar to Snyder's.

Will Batman's gritty vulnerability still be emphasized? Bruce's love life? More of Bruce's fam in issues? Bruce/Batman's personality like Snyder's? Continued distrust and distance between Bruce & Dick?
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-27-2016 at 11:35 AM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

It's gonna be hard. Snyder and Capullo are one of the best teams to touch the character, ever. That being said, if anyone can do it, it's Tom King (although this run already has catch-up to do, since Finch's art isn't very good).
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 05-27-2016 at 02:54 PM.

I hope so... i haven't read The Grayson series yet (waiting my Forever Evil trade to arrive)i'm so behind of the current stroy lines... but i hear great things about him so my expectations are high.
    Bat-napped at young age
    Current Favorite Titles (Trade Waiter) :
    Batman-Batman Earth One-Amerian Vampire-Invincible-Baltimore-Berserk

Grayson was always the better book when both were being published, so I think so easily.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

As others have said, since King is better than Snyder (and the fact Snyder's run is overrated as F), I don't doubt it.

I think the key is if King has big picture/concept/long term ideas or is just on the title for a year or so.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison

Veteran Member

King's got the same deal Snyder had when he took over the book; he is replacing the former front runner for the Bat-books, but the old guy still has a limited series to write. I think he'll do fine; I was a guy who respected Morrison's work but didn't enjoy it, but I knew he was high quality and that Snyder was getting his teeth sharpened on a Dick Grayson book before hand. Ain't nothing wrong with repeating a Su ccessful pattern.

It's definitely a better situation than just about any other DC property.
    "There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."
    -C.S. Lewis

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I would say yes, King will be a good replacement for Snyder.
    I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.-Mewtwo
    So we can take the world back from a heart attack. One maniac at a time we will take it back!

Veteran Member

I think certainly he'll be at least a match for *quality* - I'm just not sure that King will be able to whip up as much excitement as Snyder did. King is all about the puzzle-boxes and the deferred pay-offs - Snyder made every arc's premise headline news.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I think certainly he'll be at least a match for *quality* - I'm just not sure that King will be able to whip up as much excitement as Snyder did. King is all about the puzzle-boxes and the deferred pay-offs - Snyder made every arc's premise headline news.
    Personally, I'd take King's "puzzle boxes" over Snyder's "headline news" premises any day. I've yet to grow tired of those puzzle boxes of King's while I soon grew bored with Snyder's constant epics.

DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/Birds of Prey/Blue Beetle/Deadman/Death of Hawkman/Doom Patrol/Earth2/Flash/Flintstones/Future Quest/Gotham Academy/Green Lanterns/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Midnighter & Apollo/Mother Panic/New Super Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Scooby Apocalypse/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans/Titans/Trinity/Vigilante
    Valiant: Archer & Armstrong/Bloodshot USA/Britannia/Divinity/Faith/Generation Zero/Harbringer Renegade/Ninjak

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I like Snyder but his work was the very definition mixed bag imo,post-CoO DotF was awful, we then got a good filler arc, ZY started off great then wondered towards the end, Endgame started really poorly imo (whole Joker justice league found I disliked it rereading it) but then the latter of Endgame was really good, and the RoboBat arc was was flat out ehh. Hoping King will be consistent and his current work suggests so.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

If King can get the same reaction out of Dick Grayson, Omega Men, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon that he has had then the exposure will be as big as or bigger than Snyder's. I don't think the comparison to the Synder hype that he generated is fair because it is obviously Batman and any one involved with him gets put under a big microscope. There is also a strong argument from a lot of fans who liked the art of Batman over the writing, King has told well reviewed tales that range from cosmic to espionage while Snyder is a Horror writer by trade and that is where he is most regarded. Snyder's Batman has had the Horror element with the multiple near no mans land events, The immortal joker teasing vs. Morrison Super-Sane/Multiple mind, and his own creations in the Owls and Mr. Bloom who attack Bruce from challenging his knowledge of Gotham and frightening him with this secret Court controlling everything around his family while Mr. Bloom is a Dark Silver age villain. King initial villain/antagonist seem more of a ideological challenge in a unique way where an outsider who has viewed Gotham from afar has come to save Gotham from the Batman by taking the name Gotham. From the interviews Gotham is described as a New Military combatant going to war with a set view of what he wants to accomplish unaware of nature of the territory and is challenged by that. He has also stated that he views Bruce/Batman as a normal person who relies on his unique family to carry on a oath to protect Gotham and the World from Crime by pushing him self to his absolute limit. I think he says the arc starts with Batman trying to save a 747 from crashing into Gotham which is an astonishing feat compared to Superman who can just fly up and guide it away.