Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
    Incredible Member

Though I'm still saddened that this is replacing Ultimate Spider-Man, as I really loved that show and everything it managed to accomplished, with the new images from the actual show, including pics of the humans/characters outside their costumes, I'm beginning to warm up to the prospects of this new show. I especially find myself drawn to the youthful art direction.

At present, I'm most curious as to the how the non-Spidey, non-villain characters will be treated in this show. For example, I recall reading somewhere some time back that Peter and Harry were going to be portrayed as close friends again, just as they were in Ultimate Spider-Man (more evident early on). But exactly how close? Will it be as close as the previous show's Harry was depicted (who was the nicest incarnation of Harry ever, even in his worst moments), or was that just them talking? The pic of Harry they use when they reveal his voice actor gives off the vibe of being distant and potentially even shallow. What about Miles, Gwen, and Anya? Or Aunt May, for that matter?

That's currently my biggest curiosity at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    At present, I'm most curious as to the how the non-Spidey, non-villain characters will be treated in this show. For example, I recall reading somewhere some time back that Peter and Harry were going to be portrayed as close friends again, just as they were in Ultimate Spider-Man (more evident early on). But exactly how close? Will it be as close as the previous show's Harry was depicted (who was the nicest incarnation of Harry ever, even in his worst moments), or was that just them talking? The pic of Harry they use when they reveal his voice actor gives off the vibe of being distant and potentially even shallow. What about Miles, Gwen, and Anya? Or Aunt May, for that matter?
    Harry is traditionally Peter's civilian best friend (not counting MJ) so the show seems to be keeping that intact rather then go for MCU synergy. I think they've said their friendship will be a big part of the show, and I imagine they'll generally as close here as they usually are, particularly given they're playing up Harry as being smart on par with Peter in this cartoon.

Though there've been official summaries released that tease a major element of the series will be Peter keeping Harry from turning to villainy, so I'm wondering (given they haven't released casting for Norman Osborn) if Harry is going to be the Green Goblin in this?

This has also just made me realize that, outside Aunt May, it doesn't look like there are any supporting characters who are civilians and probably will stay civilians over the course of the cartoon. That makes me kind of sad .

Incredible Member Uncanny Mutie's Avatar

I haven't heard anything about a new Spider-Man cartoon coming soon, but if it is, I'm sure it will feature a childish, 15 year old, TECH laden, high school Peter Parker/Spider-Man, which is the precedent that the new Homecoming movie has pretty much set and etched in stone for years to come. So sad, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I haven't heard anything about a new Spider-Man cartoon coming soon, but if it is, I'm sure it will feature a childish, 15 year old, TECH laden, high school Peter Parker/Spider-Man, which is the precedent that the new Homecoming movie has pretty much set and etched in stone for years to come. So sad, IMO.
    Well, when you put it that way .

Although I hope he's more "goofy" then "childish" here, at least when he's Peter.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Harry is traditionally Peter's civilian best friend (not counting MJ) so the show seems to be keeping that intact rather then go for MCU synergy. I think they've said their friendship will be a big part of the show, and I imagine they'll generally as close here as they usually are, particularly given they're playing up Harry as being smart on par with Peter in this cartoon.
    That much I'm aware of, and even made mention to, including that I read that their friendship was going to be prominent in the show. I also do know that Harry is traditionally considered to be Peter's best friend outside his his Superhero life. (Homecoming lifted and amalgamated Miles' friends with Peter's, which is why it has the Ganke stand-in of Ned as opposed to Harry, but that's neither here nor there to my wonders).

My wonder lies in how their "best friend"-ship will come off in the actual practice of the series and its episodes. Will if feel as earnest as Ultimate Spider-Man's (especially in the first two Seasons)? Who will come off as caring more, Peter or Harry? Will it come off as/evolve into being like their Spectacular Spider-Man friendship (not a fan of that one, especially in hindsight, though that's neither her nor there, either)? What role will Harry have in the show?

One thing I did not know was that Harry is to be depicted as on par with Peter intellectually in this show, which contrasts how he is generally depicted as someone who, while not dumb by any means, requires Peter's help from an academic perspective. It makes me wonder what the ramifications will be.

Though there've been official summaries released that tease a major element of the series will be Peter keeping Harry from turning to villainy, so I'm wondering (given they haven't released casting for Norman Osborn) if Harry is going to be the Green Goblin in this?
    This is also news to me. It kind of places my wonders with regards to their relationship in perspective. Depending on how this element is to play out, I wonder what that'll mean for Peter and Harry's friendship. Like, what exactly will Harry be doing that'll have him so on the cusp of being a villain that Peter has to be his morality chain? Furthermore, if that's gonna be the highlight of their relationship on the show, than what exactly is their actual relationship as friends going to be like?

I also wonder whether Harry is going to be kept in the dark about Peter being Spider-Man?

This has also just made me realize that, outside Aunt May, it doesn't look like there are any supporting characters who are civilians and probably will stay civilians over the course of the cartoon. That makes me kind of sad .
    This might just be me, but I wouldn't have a problem with that if that turned out to be the case, as there tends to be a limit to the usage of characters in such a civilian capacity in shows like these. The more enmeshed these characters are permitted to be in Peter's world as Spidey, the better off I feel they'll be in the long run.

Really, it depends on how they would be treated regardless of what side of the Pete/Spidey fence they're on, but based on past experience with shows and plotlines like these, those who are "Locked Out of the Loop" in stories like these tend to come off far worse in one way or another, character-wise, if not also story-wise.

Well, when you put it that way .

Although I hope he's more "goofy" then "childish" here, at least when he's Peter.
    I won't speak on "childish", since that word tends to be used as some kind of "sinful" buzzword, especially since Peter is a child (even if a teenaged one), but based on a brief part of promo clip I saw on youtube last week, I'd say that this show's Peter is obliviously dorky in an endearing way, even before he got his powers, including being a bit of a gabber.

Speaking of, I quite like that this'll be the case for this show's Peter. Usually, Peter acts like an obnoxious, motor-mouthed git when he's Spider-Man, but acts more sensible when he's out of costume, such that he feels like he has some kind of split personality going on. This veneer is usually explained as a combination of being part of Spider-Man's fighting style and Peter venting his anxieties garnered from being Spider-Man, but it doesn't make him come off as less unpleasant a person as he often does acting this way while in-costume. If this series showcases that Peter came off a bit this way even before he gains his powers, and his Spidey persona is just a natural extension of his real personality, than I, in the least, will be able to appreciate the forethought in such a direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post

So far none of the reveals have hinted at anything you're fearful of outside of the Homecoming Home made/Scarlet Spider suit

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    That much I'm aware of, and even made mention to, including that I read that their friendship was going to be prominent in the show. I also do know that Harry is traditionally considered to be Peter's best friend outside his his Superhero life. (Homecoming lifted and amalgamated Miles' friends with Peter's, which is why it has the Ganke stand-in of Ned as opposed to Harry, but that's neither here nor there to my wonders).
    Outside Mary Jane of course .

My wonder lies in how their "best friend"-ship will come off in the actual practice of the series and its episodes. Will if feel as earnest as Ultimate Spider-Man's (especially in the first two Seasons)? Who will come off as caring more, Peter or Harry? Will it come off as/evolve into being like their Spectacular Spider-Man friendship (not a fan of that one, especially in hindsight, though that's neither her nor there, either)? What role will Harry have in the show?

One thing I did not know was that Harry is to be depicted as on par with Peter intellectually in this show, which contrasts how he is generally depicted as someone who, while not dumb by any means, requires Peter's help from an academic perspective. It makes me wonder what the ramifications will be.
    I'm sure the writers will probably intend for the two to come off as close and genuine friends, even if there are likely going to be complications to it as there always is between Peter and Harry.

I would probably make the guess that Peter will be the most caring in the relationship, since he generally is or tries to be, but we'd probably need to get a better idea of what Harry is like to get a better read on their relationship.

I don't think Harry is going to be on par with Peter as far as science is concerned. That was poor wording on my part. The origin short implies he's more involved in science then he traditionally is, probably because of his father, so that might play into their friendship or relationship to some degree.

This is also news to me. It kind of places my wonders with regards to their relationship in perspective. Depending on how this element is to play out, I wonder what that'll mean for Peter and Harry's friendship. Like, what exactly will Harry be doing that'll have him so on the cusp of being a villain that Peter has to be his morality chain? Furthermore, if that's gonna be the highlight of their relationship on the show, than what exactly is their actual relationship as friends going to be like?
    Well, he's Harry Osborn. Depending on how true they stay to the issues he has to deal with or his personal problems, it's not all that surprising to see him be torn between being a good guy or a villain and how that impacts Peter.

I also wonder whether Harry is going to be kept in the dark about Peter being Spider-Man?
    I think that's very likely going to be the case.

Although if Peter pulls a MJ/Ganke and Harry finds out early on, it would be interesting to see how that plays out when Harry inevitably grows to hate Spider-Man.

This might just be me, but I wouldn't have a problem with that if that turned out to be the case, as there tends to be a limit to the usage of characters in such a civilian capacity in shows like these. The more enmeshed these characters are permitted to be in Peter's world as Spidey, the better off I feel they'll be in the long run.

Really, it depends on how they would be treated regardless of what side of the Pete/Spidey fence they're on, but based on past experience with shows and plotlines like these, those who are "Locked Out of the Loop" in stories like these tend to come off far worse in one way or another, character-wise, if not also story-wise.
    I don't think that needs to be or should be the case in a Spider-Man cartoon, where the civilian, "normal," aspect should ideally be as important as the Superhero aspect, and featuring characters who don't know Peters identity or aren't deeply involved in his life as Spider-Man should not lead to a lesser role in the narrative. It certainly didn't in past, pre-USM, cartoons or in the comics.

If we go in that direction then there are probably a lot of characters who are staples of Peter's life who would probably not show up in this cartoon or be as important, potentially devaluing the importance of Peter's civilian life and his doing stuff outside of being a Superhero (which is an important part of Spider-Man). But obviously civilians don't sell toys or merchandise.

I won't speak on "childish", since that word tends to be used as some kind of "sinful" buzzword, especially since Peter is a child (even if a teenaged one), but based on a brief part of promo clip I saw on youtube last week, I'd say that this show's Peter is obliviously dorky in an endearing way, even before he got his powers, including being a bit of a gabber.

Speaking of, I quite like that this'll be the case for this show's Peter. Usually, Peter acts like an obnoxious, motor-mouthed git when he's Spider-Man, but acts more sensible when he's out of costume, such that he feels like he has some kind of split personality going on. This veneer is usually explained as a combination of being part of Spider-Man's fighting style and Peter venting his anxieties garnered from being Spider-Man, but it doesn't make him come off as less unpleasant a person as he often does acting this way while in-costume. If this series showcases that Peter came off a bit this way even before he gains his powers, and his Spidey persona is just a natural extension of his real personality, than I, in the least, will be able to appreciate the forethought in such a direction.
    I get that Peter is a kid, I just think for a kid he's usually pretty mature and responsible for his age, what with the whole "Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" thing, so I would hope that would be reflected here.

As far as a "kind of split-personality going on," that's how the dual-identity nature of Spider-Man is supposed to work, and the distinction between Peter and Spidey, with Peter being able to act more confident, outgoing, and snarky as Spider-Man then he does as Peter.

It's both an outlet and how he differentiates between his two identities, but both are "true" to who he is when you get right down to it.

Spidey's also kind of supposed to come off as obnoxious, at least towards the villains, because he's deliberately trying to be annoying.

I plan on giving this cartoon a shot. I'll definitely watch the first few episodes or so just to see how the show develops. The animation will take some getting used to for me, but it's not a big deal. I like a lot of the character designs that I have seen so far.
    Spider-Man's Tangled WebShow - A crazy podcast featuring Spidey-obsessed weirdos.