View Poll Results: How would you rate Jill Thompson's WONDER WOMAN: THE TRUE AMAZON?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars! Absolutely loved it!

4 23.53%
  • 4 Stars. It was great, but had a few problems.

3 17.65%
  • 3 Stars. It was an average story.

4 23.53%
  • 2 Stars. I had a lot of issues with it, but still enjoyed it somewhat.

2 11.76%
  • 1 Star. I didn't like it at all.

4 23.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman: The True Amazon Discussion & Spoilers

I read this last week, and I have to be honest... this is one of my least favorite Wonder Woman stories of all time. Diana is almost detestable (Veruca Salt comes to mind). The art is pretty lovely, and I *really* wanted to like this story as Jill Thompson drew the Chalk Drawings story (one of my all-time faves). Diana being exiled instead of choosing to leave to save the world is just... blah. And that's not to say I think she should be an absolute perfect character. But the answer shouldn't be this.

As for what I did like, besides the art, I did enjoy the tentacled octopus-like female monster. But then Diana slaughtered her a few panels later.

Just no more origin stories. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I read this last week, and I have to be honest... this is one of my least favorite Wonder Woman stories of all time. Diana is almost detestable (Veruca Salt comes to mind). The art is pretty lovely, and I *really* wanted to like this story as Jill Thompson drew the Chalk Drawings story (one of my all-time faves). Diana being exiled instead of choosing to leave to save the world is just... blah. And that's not to say I think she should be an absolute perfect character. But the answer shouldn't be this.

As for what I did like, besides the art, I did enjoy the tentacled octopus-like female monster. But then Diana slaughtered her a few panels later.

Ouch.....after reading this I'm glad I saved my money and didn't buy this. Diana was exiled? It sounds like Jill's reimagining of Wonder Woman is almost as bad as her husband's.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, DC Bombshells, Earth 2 Society, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Suicide Squad, Titans, Trinity, The Legend of Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

Jeez...I should have avoided this thread. I bought the book (with much hesitation, I admit) but I haven't read it yet. Well, I'll try to keep an open mind.
    The First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Civil War: The greatest comic book movie trilogy EVER

I have to mostly agree with the OP - Diana's characterization just didn't do anything for me, and the ending, while interesting, doesn't really add to Diana's mythology so much as conflate it with Heracles.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Jeez...I should have avoided this thread. I bought the book (with much hesitation, I admit) but I haven't read it yet. Well, I'll try to keep an open mind.
    Well, it's just my opinion, so you may end up enjoying it way more than me. I just couldn't handle that depiction of Diana. The title definitely should've remained "A Very Spoiled Princess."

Well, it's just my opinion, so you may end up enjoying it way more than me. I just couldn't handle that depiction of Diana. The title definitely should've remained "A Very Spoiled Princess."
    Or "The Very Tragical History of [Heracles] Diana of Themiscyra"
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Even if you hate everything else about it, the art alone is charming enough to justify a buy.

I can see where Thompson was coming from. Wonder Woman doesn't have the same Jungian trajectory that other super heroes do, which makes writers want to give her one, make someone else the protagonist, or do a bit of both. I don't know how much that can be helped. I almost prefer Diana being exiled, thematically, to the Amazons being presented as villains or obstacles she has to overcome, which was what we got from both Morrison and Azzarello.

It had some problems, including what I think was an overreliance on storybook narration, but it worked for me as a story about Hippolyta and her generation of Amazons. Booting her daughter off the island became the act of redemption for her overindulgent parenting. Does that make Wonder Woman very heroic? No. But she wasn't the hero this go around, anyway.

Edit: These writers need to decide on a name for the blond-haired, blue-eyed Amazon Diana keeps falling in love with. We've seen one in every recent iteration of her origin, and they've had as many names as they've had appearances.
    Last edited by Bosch; 10-11-2016 at 04:52 PM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Newbie Member

I thought the book started off very well. It was great to see the depiction of Themyscira, of the Amazons, the gods etc. The artwork throughout is lovely. But when the "spoiled princess" thing showed up, it is a shock. I could see where it was going. I could see how people could relate. It's just so far removed from Diana and what we are used to seeing she stands for - love, compassion, peace etc. Sure these are things humans usually have to strive for and so it is somewhat more realistic...but Diana/WW tends to embody those qualities already. I kind of lost interest. But it is just about whether it's your thing or not. The story is very clear and focused on what it wants to do and say.

The costume was an interesting take. I liked that there was some focus back on the Girdle of Hippolyta in the story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
    Edit: These writers need to decide on a name for the blond-haired, blue-eyed Amazon Diana keeps falling in love with. We've seen one in every recent iteration of her origin, and they've had as many names as they've had appearances.
    It should be Mala, besides Wonder Woman, Hippolyta, and Paula, she was the Amazon with the most screen time during the Golden Age (Which is why Martson used her). I think a lot of authors have a problem with her though because her name is obviously not Greek.
    Also visit my blog where I expose Wonder Woman for the criminal she is!

Comics > Movies, regardless of the publisher

Veteran Member

Even if you hate everything else about it, the art alone is charming enough to justify a buy.

I can see where Thompson was coming from. Wonder Woman doesn't have the same Jungian trajectory that other super heroes do, which makes writers want to give her one, make someone else the protagonist, or do a bit of both. I don't know how much that can be helped. I almost prefer Diana being exiled, thematically, to the Amazons being presented as villains or obstacles she has to overcome, which was what we got from both Morrison and Azzarello.
    I also like it when there's some grind. So that it doesn't become the island of St. Mary Sue:s.

I think Diana becoming spoiled is a brilliant angle on the character. Her being a princess. One I wouldn't mind explored further in more stories. A bit like Bruce Wayne being a rich kid, there are more than one interesting angle that can be toyed with.

Also, when mentioning Azzarello. Funny how the book showed Zeus lusting for Hip, but with Hera intervening.

It had some problems, including what I think was an overreliance on storybook narration, but it worked for me as a story about Hippolyta and her generation of Amazons. Booting her daughter off the island became the act of redemption for her overindulgent parenting. Does that make Wonder Woman very heroic? No. But she wasn't the hero this go around, anyway.
    When purchasing it, I was a wee bit worried the story book thing would turn the book into an art book for me, but it didn't stop the story from becoming a nice little tragedy with a good message attached to it.

But then, for once there wasn't any squabble with an angry red head
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-16-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Soooooooooooooo I voted 2 stars. There are some things to like, namely Jill's art and design skills but I had ***MAJOR*** issues with the story.

I really liked it tbh, though I do like greek tragedies.

And Thompson's art is gorgeous as usual.

I've always preferred an origin story for Wonder Woman that doesn't portray Thymescria as a paradise, nor Diana's life as idyllic. But this was too much. Diana as a spoiled brat seeking redemption doesn't work for me, and I wish I had read this thread before buying it.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Rookie Member

I loved it. But then I'm not averse to the idea of a Diana who is less then perfect and who needs to actually grow and learn as a person before becoming Wonder Woman. I wouldn't want this as the main continuity Wonder Woman origin, or as the main take on Diana, but as an elseworld story I think it works very well. The art is stunning, the designs for the Amazon beautiful and inventive, the story is not groundbreaking and is a little obvious, but its well told and solid through out.

I wished some of the language and violence was toned down a bit though. If it had been it would have made a great childrens book.

I'm about three quarters of the way through this and I'm just...aghast. A Diana who's responsible for a near Amazon massacre? What in the name of Aphrodite?!
    The First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Civil War: The greatest comic book movie trilogy EVER