Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Actually if you look at it from another angle pretty much all superhero names have a certain lameness, if you want to call it that, to them and fans would probably react to most of them the same way these days if writers were to come up with names like Batman for example. Is Batman in and of itself any less lame of a name than The Signal? I don't believe so.
    This is a more nuanced explanation of what I was getting at when I said The Signal has a Gold/Silver Age comic booky aesthetic to the name.

I also agree that under that light, you kinda have to start calling most, if not all, Superhero names as "odd" or "lame" and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    Edited............having trouble posting images for some reason.
    Aw. I wonder what the issue is?

Are they web links or attachments from the computer?
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-03-2017 at 08:37 PM.

I also notice a slight change to the nose area. A more helmet look than a mask.

I hadn't been much into Batman but The Signal is drawing me in.
    Last edited by Black Lightning; 09-04-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valens View Post
    I really like the idea of Duke as a daytime superhero in Gotham.

I think The Signal is a dumb name.
    What happened to Lark?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    What happened to Lark?
    Thankfully binned. Signal might not be the best but it's much better than Lark.

What happened to Lark?
    Snyder said on Twitter DC wanted a more marketable name or something like that, I'm paraphrasing though since it's been a while since I saw the tweet so I may not be right.

I think the problem with the name comes from the hype behind the reveal rather than the name itself.

Mighty Member

I also notice a slight change to the nose area. A more helmet look than a mask.

I hadn't been much into Batman but The Signal is drawing me in.
    I legit did not know there was even a difference/an updated version, as I thought the pointed mask portion was what it was meant to be. I gotta compare it to that concept art sheet that site had posted.

EDIT: The concept art has the extended mask look. Maybe that's been changed?

'The Signal' design by Cully Hamner.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think the problem with the name comes from the hype behind the reveal rather than the name itself.
    For those who had a problem with the name, not counting the avid haters, it seemed to be the reverse of what you said, if neither.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-04-2017 at 04:40 PM.

This is the updated look:

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Snyder said on Twitter DC wanted a more marketable name or something like that, I'm paraphrasing though since it's been a while since I saw the tweet so I may not be right.
    and the signal is more maketable?

Why not Beacon orsomthing

Mighty Member

This is the updated look:

Ah, I see. Thanks. I'd have never noticed that the look was updated 'til previews or the issue itself came out otherwise.

and the signal is more maketable?

Why not Beacon orsomthing
    When you get that far, the question then becomes "why not anything/everything?", I feel. "The Signal" ties into what they want to tie into for Duke's character, and in the end, that's what they chose. Likely, it's more symbolic than "Beacon," too.

I think trademarking must come into play. Look at Batwing. A newer character but with a name that they already had on lock. Now we've got The Signal which was also already in the bat-branding.

Seems like an efficient use of names to market off of that won't cost them anything.

Also, I love the reflective chest emblem.

Mighty Member

I think trademarking must come into play. Look at Batwing. A newer character but with a name that they already had on lock. Now we've got The Signal which was also already in the bat-branding.

Seems like an efficient use of names to market off of that won't cost them anything.

Also, I love the reflective chest emblem.
    I definitely agree that Trademarks and Copyrights likely was a part of the name choice.

So, the sollicitations for December have given us some clue about what B&TS will be about.

BATMAN AND THE SIGNAL #2
    As Bruce Wayne fulfills his corporate duties at Wayne Industries, Duke Thomas (a.k.a. the Signal) embraces his role as Gotham City's daytime protector while battling a deadly new rogues gallery. Could these teenage villains be connected to the recent metahuman population boom in the Narrows? To find out, the Signal must learn to work with a different kind of ally... the GCPD!
    RATED T+

What do you expect to see in the Narrows, what kind of villain would Duke face ?

I'm guessing its someone like Darryl, he got superpowers from Mr. Bloom's drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, the sollicitations for December have given us some clue about what B&TS will be about.

BATMAN AND THE SIGNAL #2
    As Bruce Wayne fulfills his corporate duties at Wayne Industries, Duke Thomas (a.k.a. the Signal) embraces his role as Gotham City's daytime protector while battling a deadly new rogues gallery. Could these teenage villains be connected to the recent metahuman population boom in the Narrows? To find out, the Signal must learn to work with a different kind of ally... the GCPD!
    RATED T+

What do you expect to see in the Narrows, what kind of villain would Duke face ?
    Will be interesting going back into the narrows, I wonder why meta humans are coming from there? Maybe Daryl broke out of prison?

Also, I really hope this book sells well and Duke can get a ongoing!