Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Burdon and War, in case you want to go to the Hall of the Mountain King.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex94 View Post
    Burdon and War, in case you want to go to the Hall of the Mountain King.

Just Awesome!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The Unmistakable Voice Of Paul Rodgers Part 1: Free

Free were an utterly unique band. I can't think of a more soulful blues rock act. They put me in mind of long hot summer days in the countryside. I love the feel and unique vibe in their music. And they had the perfect vocalist in Paul Rodgers, one of the greatest singers in rock history. Another asset that they had was their simplicity. Free's music was completely devoid of any over-embellishment. The songs instrumentation comprised only what needed to be there, nothing else.

Sadly, the band were plagued by professional problems and only had a relatively short shelf life. Interpersonal problems developed amongst certain band members, guitarist Paul Kossoff suffered debilitating drug problems, they were badly managed and probably signed to a record company that didn't do well by them. As a result their music was either enormously popular or a complete flop at the time. From one extreme to the other. They lasted five years at best.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 03-18-2017 at 05:03 PM.

The Unmistakable Voice Of Paul Rodgers Part 2: Bad Company

Undaunted by the premature demise of Free, Rodgers joined forces with guitarist Mick Ralphs and formed Bad Company. Bad Company were everything that Free weren't. They had proper management, a good record deal and were generally composed of and surrounded by a far higher level of professionalism. And they cleaned up big time, especially in the States.

I pooh-poohed Bad Company for years, essentially seeing them as a poorer, slicker, more AOR version of Free. I was wrong. Those early Rodgers' era albums were actually delightful and packed with mood and feeling (sexist lyrics aside!). I love albums like the debut, 'Straight Shooter' and 'Run With The Pack'. They are full of wonderful little deep cuts. Like this one.

BANNED

RIP Chuck Berry.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post

RIP Chuck Berry.
    My favorite of his and one of those songs that still packs a charge after the thousandth time hearing it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

My second favorite of his:

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

Damn it all. One of the all time pioneers and greats of rock n' roll.

RIP Chuck Berry.

I've got to post something to pay tribute to such a giant influence. Seriously, this guy's work can be classified as the frigging blueprint for the entire rock industry:

That damn seatbelt!

RIP Chuck Berry
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 03-18-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Fantastic Member

For an obvious example of Chuck Berry's influence on Beatles music, compare his song "Can't Catch Me" (below) with John Lennon's "Come Together" (the opening track on Abbey Road). In addition to melodic and rhythmic similarity, the sings contain some nearly identical lyrics. (Lennon settled out of court a plagiarism suit that was brought by the then-owner of publishing rights to most of Berry's songs.) Anyway, this clip shows what a major songwriting and performing talent it was that has now been silenced. Still, "Rock 'n' Roll will never die" (as Neil Young reminded us), so Chuck will be with us always.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I would add these two to the Chuck favorites/bests:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member

RIP Chuck Berry

Fantastic Member

"Wooden Ships" is a song that Jefferson Airplane's leader Paul Kantner wrote about an episode of The Twilight Zone TV show. It was a two-character story about the only survivors in a US city that had been destroyed in a global war - Charles Bronson as an American soldier and Elizabeth Montgomery as a soldier from an invading Eastern Bloc army. They don't speak the same language and they don't really trust each other, but eventually they decide they have to put the war behind them and cooperate to continue surviving amidst the rubble. They leave the city together to look for other survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    "Wooden Ships" is a song that Jefferson Airplane's leader Paul Kantner wrote about an episode of The Twilight Zone TV show. It was a two-character story about the only survivors in a US city that had been destroyed in a global war - Charles Bronson as an American soldier and Elizabeth Montgomery as a soldier from an invading Eastern Bloc army. They don't speak the same language and they don't really trust each other, but eventually they decide they have to put the war behind them and cooperate to continue surviving amidst the rubble. They leave the city together to look for other survivors.
    Great song, but it was co-written by David Crosby and Steven Stills, who also recorded it.

There came a time when the name edhopper died! The final moment came with the fatal release of indescribable power--which tore every post that bore the name edhopper asunder--split it linto a new identity, and filled CBR with the blinding death flash of it's destruction! In the end there was a new user name, spinning slow and barren, clean of all that had gone before, adrift in the fading sounds of binary thunder...THEN----THERE WAS KIRBY101