Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 533
  1. #76
    Astonishing Member Panfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    This is an appreciation thread though so I'll finish this by stating just how much I love their 1980's work.
    Metallica had such a strong early career with Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets/...And Justice For All.

    Anyway, this thread is severely lacking in Pink Floyd, so here is one of my lesser known favorites.


  2. #77
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yes are one of my all time favourite groups. Here they are introducing the considerable talents of Steve Howe to the world on 'Yours Is No Disgrace', the opening track on the seminal 'The Yes Album' (1971):
    My favorite too. Close to the Edge is such an incredible piece of music. Blew my mind the first time I heard it on the radio when it came out. It still thrills me.
    I've seen the current incarnation of Yes several times the last few years. As well as Jon Anderson alone and with Wakeman and Rabin. Still great acts that sound awesome.


  3. #78
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post

    Anyway, this thread is severely lacking in Pink Floyd, so here is one of my lesser known favorites.
    Good call. 'Obscured By Clouds' is such an underrated Pink Floyd album. It was whipped up by the Floyd rather quickly as a soundtrack to the French movie 'La Vallee'. The film was about a French aristocrat who joins an expedition of hippies searching for a hidden valley in the wilds of Papua New Guinea. I'd love the record for that alone but the music is great. The Floyd kind of threw the album together with little fuss or bother and the music really benefits from that.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    My favorite too. Close to the Edge is such an incredible piece of music. Blew my mind the first time I heard it on the radio when it came out. It still thrills me.
    I've seen the current incarnation of Yes several times the last few years. As well as Jon Anderson alone and with Wakeman and Rabin. Still great acts that sound awesome.
    'Close To The Edge' would certainly rank in my all time Top 10 albums.

    The ARW concert must have been during the last couple of months, yes? Respect.

    Two different versions of Yes doing the rounds, eh? It's like the late 1980's all over again.

  5. #80
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    'Close To The Edge' would certainly rank in my all time Top 10 albums.

    The ARW concert must have been during the last couple of months, yes? Respect.

    Two different versions of Yes doing the rounds, eh? It's like the late 1980's all over again.
    AWR was last month.

    Yes is Yes. Howe leading the band. Anderson tours separately, as he has since they broke up about 10 years ago. It's just more Yes music for me!
    Though I would love a reunion. Maybe if Jan Werner takes the stick from his ass and puts them in the R & R Hall of Fame.

  6. #81
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,427

    Default

    Speaking of Pink Floyd, have people seen this?


  7. #82
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Yes is Yes. Howe leading the band. Anderson tours separately, as he has since they broke up about 10 years ago. It's just more Yes music for me!
    Absolutely.

    In fact, one of my favourite pieces of music from that collective group of musicians that have performed under the 'Yes' banner down the decades is this beauty from the 'Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe' album. It's actually just Anderson and Wakeman but it's so special:



    When it comes to the R&R Hall of Fame, I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to side with the Sex Pistols. I'm not a fan but I thought this response to their nomination was priceless:


  8. #83
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,427

    Default

    Thanks Willie, that was beautiful. And yeah, fuck the ABBA inducting "Rock and Roll" HoF.

  9. #84
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,744

    Default

    I just want to say thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I love checking out people's opinions and re-discovering some things and learning about others that I was maybe not so educated on. Please, keep posting stories and music...let's keep it loose! I knew there's people on this site who are big Iron Maiden fans and others who like Frank Zappa!

  10. #85
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    I'm returning to Led Zeppelin again. I don't think you can repeat yourself too much when talking about classic music.

    This is a real deep cut, 'Travelling Riverside Blues'. Originally written and recorded by Robert Johnson in 1937, it's only available on a couple of box-sets and a remastered version of 'Coda' from 1993.

    It's got a wonderful, mystical quality to it. This could only have been recorded in the early 1970's:


  11. #86
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    I used to get a new album bought for me every Christmas. After 'Poison' was such a colossal hit in 1989 I asked my Mother for an Alice Cooper album that year. I'd already bought the album 'Trash' which contained 'Poison' so left the details up to her. I was expecting one of Alice's more recent, 80's albums like 'Constrictor' or 'Raise Your Fist & Yell'. What I got was a compilation called 'The Beast Of Alice Cooper' exclusively featuring tracks from the decade earlier, by the BAND Alice Cooper. God, I was so disappointed.

    Until I wandered upstairs and stuck the bugger on that was. I love those old Alice Cooper band albums like 'Killer' and 'Billion Dollar Babies'. This was my first introduction to them. One track stood out and it's been an absolute pig to find online (There are certain tracks that I can't access in the UK). The wonderful 'Be My Lover':


  12. #87
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I used to get a new album bought for me every Christmas. After 'Poison' was such a colossal hit in 1989 I asked my Mother for an Alice Cooper album that year. I'd already bought the album 'Trash' which contained 'Poison' so left the details up to her. I was expecting one of Alice's more recent, 80's albums like 'Constrictor' or 'Raise Your Fist & Yell'. What I got was a compilation called 'The Beast Of Alice Cooper' exclusively featuring tracks from the decade earlier, by the BAND Alice Cooper. God, I was so disappointed.

    Until I wandered upstairs and stuck the bugger on that was. I love those old Alice Cooper band albums like 'Killer' and 'Billion Dollar Babies'. This was my first introduction to them. One track stood out and it's been an absolute pig to find online (There are certain tracks that I can't access in the UK). The wonderful 'Be My Lover':
    Alice is another act like Bowie and Hall and Oates where I personally grew up with them in the 80's but I like their 70's stuff better. I think a lot of fans think that he lost it around Flush the Fashion (although I personally think the song Clones is great) and I'll admit he was a mess by the time of Special Forces ( I think his wife said she'd leave him for good if he didn't clean up his act then). The mid 80's and MTV metal was the big come back for him. I find it very interesting that Alice is a born again Christian but 90 percent of his act is the same as it was back in the day. I remember him talking about it on the radio a few years back and it was like, "Well in the old days people wanted to censor us but there was no profanity in our songs, no explicit sexuality, and the violence was cartoony horror stuff, so..."

  13. #88
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,378

    Default



    Before I discovered Rush, I was into and still enjoy Yes. Roundabout is one of my favorite songs. Along with Tempus Fugit, Owner of a Lonely Heart, I see all good people, and Starship Trooper.
    My love for classic rock began when I was in high school, I took a typing class (do they still teach typing classes in high school? I don't know anymore) My teacher played classic rock on the radio. It was so different from what I had heard on the radio or on TV. I grew up in the 90's and early aughts, so it was mostly hip hop and r&b at the time.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 11-24-2016 at 03:26 PM.

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    476

    Default

    "Darkness, Darkness", a track from the Elephant Mountain LP released by the Youngbloods in 1969. The fiddle player on the intro to the song is Charlie Daniels!


  15. #90
    Bad Mama-Jama CenturianSpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    2,374

    Default

    Lovin' every song posted. Keep 'em coming.

    Uriah Heep's David Byron was kicked out of the band for excessive drinking. He died when he was only 38. He was an amazing vocalist. Here's a song about a wizard:

    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

    SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

    CBR/SHSO Player Directory

    If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •