Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimates˛

Unfortunately today felt like a mandatory SE tie-in throw away piece, where the cosmic story didn't move at all and the heroes simply paraphrased why they were back at the shield and who wouldn't help out and why. The event fatigue is real ...

... hopefully next month the story can continue.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I haven't purchased the current issue yet. Someone tell me if Adam cuts loose on the Chitauri...because if there is something that he can unload all of his power on, that would be it.
    He did blow up one of the Chitauri space whales. Pretty casually, too. But the focus of the issue wasn't really on the fight, but on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    Unfortunately today felt like a mandatory SE tie-in throw away piece, where the cosmic story didn't move at all and the heroes simply paraphrased why they were back at the shield and who wouldn't help out and why. The event fatigue is real ...

... hopefully next month the story can continue.
    I think that it did further the narrative a bit. It showed that the Ultimates can't inherently rely on Galactus for everything.

"You are here. You fought the weekend war, and you made it to the other side. Welcome to Monday; you can be anyone here. This is a new day, a new beginning, a new chance to be great. We are wiser and wilder than we were yesterday. Go kiss a stranger. Scream your favorite song from the top of the tallest building. You have the right to remain rock and roll. This is the end of the innocence; youth wasn't wasted on us. Now get out there, and write your story." - Brian Logan Dales, The Summer Set

Incredible Member

No question, this was just counting time during a cross-over. It added nothing to the event. Not sure what the point was besides it being an obligatory cross-over.

Was anyone else annoyed by Blue Marvel and Danvers getting weepy over the dead aliens? Marvel got bent out of shape over the bug-eyed aliens swarming the shield and dying. Danvers pointed out that they were not fully sentient. But, then they both agreed that it was worth being sad over?!? Why the hell is anybody getting weepy over bug-eyed aliens from hell to begin with, especially when they are not fully sentient?
    Current pull-file:
    -Sword Quest
    -
    -Venom
    -the Vision (Director's Cut)
    -WWE

-----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Spectacular Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I`m wondering where Myaboshi would fall in Ewing`s Cosmology. Is he just an aspect of the First? The Void that kept him company?
    He was revealed to be just an aspect of Oblivion (at least drawing on Oblivion's power) in a Thor annual by J.M. DeMatteis. They basically did to him what they did to the original Beyonder and retconned him down.

If anything this issue and the other Secret Empire tie-ins only served to emphasise that those outside the shield no longer need to fight. Seems rather silly to take a stand outside an impenetrable shield.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Was anyone else annoyed by Blue Marvel and Danvers getting weepy over the dead aliens? Marvel got bent out of shape over the bug-eyed aliens swarming the shield and dying. Danvers pointed out that they were not fully sentient. But, then they both agreed that it was worth being sad over?!? Why the hell is anybody getting weepy over bug-eyed aliens from hell to begin with, especially when they are not fully sentient?
    I actually liked that. Sure, they're hive-minded, non-sentient, murderous aliens. They're still alive, still humanoid. It'd still be rough to see. Like watching a bunch of hyenas run into machine gun fire.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    If anything this issue and the other Secret Empire tie-ins only served to emphasise that those outside the shield no longer need to fight. Seems rather silly to take a stand outside an impenetrable shield.
    They need to protect the Alpha Flight Space Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    He was revealed to be just an aspect of Oblivion (at least drawing on Oblivion's power) in a Thor annual by J.M. DeMatteis. They basically did to him what they did to the original Beyonder and retconned him down.
    Ah, a real shame but half expected. Any time a new crop of writers introduce new concepts, older ones kid of slide up and down accordingly.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

Incredible Member

I actually liked that. Sure, they're hive-minded, non-sentient, murderous aliens. They're still alive, still humanoid. It'd still be rough to see. Like watching a bunch of hyenas run into machine gun fire.
    There would be a difference. Hyenas are individually sentient mammals, not hive-minded abominations. And, hyenas are not an existential threat to the planet, unlike the bug-eyed hive-monsters.

It did not add much, while making Marvel and Danvers a bit reprehensible. (With all that is happening to their allies, in orbit and on planet, they are getting weepy over their enemies?) I am okay with characters being reprehensible. But, I am not sure if Ewing is going in that direction on purpose.
    Current pull-file:
    -Sword Quest
    -
    -Venom
    -the Vision (Director's Cut)
    -WWE

-----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

All-New Member

This is my first post, but I'm not a troll, just new. I just read this book and I love some of the earlier books, but at first I could not tell if the art was for real. To be honest, I wanted my money back after I opened this issue. Is this really the state of comics today? I recently got back into comics after a 22 year break. I'm shocked and disappointed. I'm talking about the current issue, issue 7. Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuck78 View Post
    This is my first post, but I'm not a troll, just new. I just read this book and I love some of the earlier books, but at first I could not tell if the art was for real. To be honest, I wanted my money back after I opened this issue. Is this really the state of comics today? I recently got back into comics after a 22 year break. I'm shocked and disappointed. I'm talking about the current issue, issue 7. Is it just me?
    I thought it was a breath of fresh air, but I wasn't a fan of Foreman's sequentials so most artists would be a welcome relief from him. He could do cosmic but his storytelling was not good. Capes fighting was just not his thing. This was much better visual storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    need to protect the Alpha Flight Space Station.
    No they don't. That base at least as SWORD, has been destroyed so many times. Bug out and find a safe haven on the moon is the strategy that would pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    There would be a difference. Hyenas are individually sentient mammals, not hive-minded abominations. And, hyenas are not an existential threat to the planet, unlike the bug-eyed hive-monsters.

It did not add much, while making Marvel and Danvers a bit reprehensible. (With all that is happening to their allies, in orbit and on planet, they are getting weepy over their enemies?) I am okay with characters being reprehensible. But, I am not sure if Ewing is going in that direction on purpose.
    No I think you may be bringing the reprehensible concept to the table. I didn't read it like that at all.

All-New Member

I thought it was a breath of fresh air, but I wasn't a fan of Foreman's sequentials so most artists would be a welcome relief from him. He could do cosmic but his storytelling was not good. Capes fighting was just not his thing. This was much better visual storytelling.
    I did read it right after the Thor book, where I am in love with Dauterman's art. It's only the third issue of Ultimates2 that I've picked up. I love the stories, I miss artists like Ron Lim (I first got in to comics in 1990 with Thanos and Silver Surfer). These issues of Ultimates just haven't been my style. I suppose I'm just sad because I really want to love this book.

No they don't. That base at least as SWORD, has been destroyed so many times. Bug out and find a safe haven on the moon is the strategy that would pay off.
    Rebuilding the station would be really expensive, and it's been made clear that Alpha Flight has to deal with budgets. If the station gets destroyed, then that's it for Alpha Flight, and given Carol's gotta be questioning if it'll be worthwhile keeping the shield up if they get back to Earth, letting the station be destroyed is pretty much the end of Earth's defence against cosmic threats. On top of that, the station has plenty of people on it, and there are people injured during the fight against the Chitauri. What kind of medical facilities does the moon have? Is there a hydroponics bay for growing food? I'd also assume the Alpha Flight tech people are still trying to find a way through the shield, which they couldn't do from the moon. There's also the issue of getting the people to the moon. Do they have transports to get people there? How many people can MAC's portals handle at once?

So, yeah, there are reasons why "go to the moon" isn't a great solution.