Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DETECTIVE COMICS #33 Preview/Discussion

In "Icarus" part four, Batman must contend with a gang war between The Squid and the Kings of the Sun before it consumes all of Gotham City! But can even the World's Greatest Detective defuse a blood feud that's about to go nuclear?
    (via A.V. Club)

Full article here.

Dat art. Oh man. Completely elevates boilerplate (albeit clever and thematic and classic) Batman noir into A-Lister, Must Have reading material.

Still enjoying. Big time. How does this play out? Bullock saves Batman's butt?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Remembering Captain Jim ABH-1979's Avatar

Didn't read the panels, because I want save it for Wednesday, but yeah, that art is fantastic.

Looking forward to it.
    Detective Comics - Batman and Robin - Batman - Grayson - Justice League

Boing Boing Baggies. Bat_Baggie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Didn't read the panels, because I want save it for Wednesday, but yeah, that art is fantastic.

Looking forward to it.
    I thought I was the only one who does that with previews lol
    Quick glimpse then I close the page.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Remembering Captain Jim ABH-1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    Heh, yeah, if it's a book that I really enjoy, then I want to save the whole story for Wednesday.
    Detective Comics - Batman and Robin - Batman - Grayson - Justice League

Boing Boing Baggies. Bat_Baggie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Heh, yeah, if it's a book that I really enjoy, then I want to save the whole story for Wednesday.
    100% with you on that. I mean it felt like I read half of Superman #32 already.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    I do that too. I don't look at the previews unless it's a book I am not currently buying and am thinking of checking it out. I'm sure this one looks awesome though.

BANNED

Holy @#$%ing awesome. This title is great. The art is amazing, and they even gave us extra pages of it. The story solid too. Even when it's cheesy it works, I mean they had Bullock step on Batman's cape!! I'm still not sure Batman needs another troubled orphan, or another hot blooded redhead, but I can't even complain about that because it works so well.

Bullock was amazing and great flashback to Flash #25

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Even when it's cheesy it works, I mean they had Bullock step on Batman's cape!!
    Ha, yep I love how it ends with a splash of Batmans fist connecting with Bullocks jaw and explosion in the background. Just so epic.

Such a beautiful comic. Great story too! Loving this series.

R. I. P. Captain Jim JasonTodd428's Avatar

Continuing to really enjoy this one. Can't wait for the next issue.
    It was only after Bruce died that I realized what I could do for him....Honor him. Honor what he stood for. Take up the mantle of the Bat. The mantle of my son. Atone for my sins by helping the world. -Thomas Wayne E2 Batman

Never give up without a fight. - Inscription on Zuko's dagger-Avatar: the Last Airbender

I knew coming in that at some point this issue Batman breaks Harvey's nose. I didn't realize it'd be the cliffhanger!

Harvey is awesome. Moreover, on a very real level talking to Bruce Wayne under that mask, calling him out for not being a true detective is pretty hardcore. We know Batman's a detective, and somebody out there has claimed he's the world's greatest one. But if his way of doing things was efficient, everybody, every cop would be doing it that way. Capes, illegal trespass and billionaire computer analysis.

Building a great case for the two of them sort of being co-leads in this title. Great use of the Eternal status quo to tell stories that aren't beholden to that status quo, but make sense within it. Great art. Nice twists. And we find out about potential twist upswings at the same time Batman does thanks to intelligent scene cuts.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

R. I. P. Captain Jim JasonTodd428's Avatar

Harvey is pretty awesome here isn't he? I'm really liking that he's having a big part in this story myself since he's my absolute favorite member of the GCPD.
    It was only after Bruce died that I realized what I could do for him....Honor him. Honor what he stood for. Take up the mantle of the Bat. The mantle of my son. Atone for my sins by helping the world. -Thomas Wayne E2 Batman

Never give up without a fight. - Inscription on Zuko's dagger-Avatar: the Last Airbender

Another stellar issue. This book is firing on all cylinders. I like the exposition of Harvey's fighting background and how it ties into the cliffhanger. Can't wait for the conclusion and to see what this team brings us next.
    Message board hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

"CBR....complain, b!#^h, and rant" ~ Greg Capullo