Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 128
  1. #1
    BACK FROM THE BLEED Atomic Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    561

    Default What Superman Developments Do You Have Trouble "Getting Over?"

    There's a bunch for me, but with the 25th anniversary of The Death of Superman coming next year, I still can't believe that DC/WB didn't make a 2-part adaptation of the story. "Superman/Doomsday" is pretty good, but it's not at all an "adaptation," more "inspired by" the original story.

    It seems lots of people think the original story is too long/convoluted to adapt to 2 70-minute movies, but I've sketched it out and it can be done. There's lots of stuff from the entire Death/Funeral/Reign that was important to the continuity of the books of the time which could be jettisoned to streamline the overall story.

    That's just one of the things on my list I have trouble "getting over." Anyone else?

  2. #2
    Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    The whole Rebirth thing, honestly. I see it as a regression rather than a step forward. I'll give Superman Reborn a chance, though. We'll see.

    The "Clark sees himself as human" also gets to my nerves. It would be fine if writers didn't neglect his Kryptonian origin. A lame way to enphasize Superman's humanity, which is something that can be done perfectly through other means, IMO.

    New Krypton and Truth. Having thousands of Kryptonians around when Kal is supposedly the "last son of Krypton" is something that I think takes away part of his uniqueness. OTOH, the depowering thing has been done to death. If writers want to "explore" the old question of "what makes Superman a hero", they can do so with him HAVING his powers.

    The solar flare crap. One of the lamest "powers" Superman's had in his 80-year existence. Like Francisco said, a weakness disguised as a "power". Also, he's not human, dammit.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member Grim Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    537

    Default

    The treatment of Nuperman, Earth II Superman and Superboy Prime would be at the top of my list. Something about all of those things just feels really ugly and cynical to me.

    Runner up would be Superman as a farm boy, I have always disliked that.

  4. #4
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Metropolis, the City of Tomorrow.
    Posts
    263

    Default

    I believe someone here said it just now, but I despise the idea of the Nu52's endgame being either Rebirth or a complete reversal to the Post-Crisis era in a way that invalidates said reboot. and I'd despise the idea even more if it ends up being true.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, for every you there's someone like me to fight back. And I don't give up. - Nu52 Superman

    Superman Avatar drawn by Jonboy Meyers.

  5. #5
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    As a Superman reader/fan I've unfortunately had to learn to " get over" a lot.

    I honestly have to say the whole of the 2000's particularly post 2003 was something I still shake my head at. First they totally mess up and complicate his continuity " just because", but then they go the extra mile to do everything in their power creatively to render the character into a insecure,moping,navel gazing parody of himself , constantly crippled by self doubt on one hand,and come across as a total hypocrite and unreasonable douche bag ( Sacrifice and Infinite Crisis) then promise to fix all of that only to eventually ( after a short reprieve with Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns) turn around and double down on all of the above with NEW KRYPTON and GROUNDED.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  6. #6
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Metropolis, the City of Tomorrow.
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    I believe someone here said it just now, but I despise the idea of the Nu52's endgame being either Rebirth or a complete reversal to the Post-Crisis era in a way that invalidates said reboot. and I'd despise the idea even more if it ends up being true.
    To expand on my own thoughts (now that someone has replied, as I didn't want to double-post), it just renders any good story that was told during the New 52/DC You era(s) irrelevent unless it's (hypothetically) retconned to be a Post-Crisis story.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, for every you there's someone like me to fight back. And I don't give up. - Nu52 Superman

    Superman Avatar drawn by Jonboy Meyers.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    The constant origin reboots. It's gotten to the point where if I don't like his origin, it ruins the books as a whole for me.
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

    -Robin

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    The treatment of Nuperman, Earth II Superman and Superboy Prime would be at the top of my list. Something about all of those things just feels really ugly and cynical to me.

    Runner up would be Superman as a farm boy, I have always disliked that.
    Can I just second this? I can't even enjoy COIE anymore because of the way they were treated. Or go back and re-read my New 52 books anymore. If there's one thing I'd like to see Rebirth do, it's redeem Prime. He started off as such a good kid. Well, that and bring back the JSA.
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

    -Robin

  9. #9
    Mighty Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Getting over something is the "pan de cada dia" for comic book fans, we always ended doing that eventually.

    Personally speaking, the New 52 reboot and to a lesser extent, Crisis On Infinite Earths. I mean i like Post-Crisis Superman (a lot more than Nuperman for sure), but i agreed that Byrne's reboot wasn't the best way to go back in the day. I was more piss of with the New 52 thought, i don't consider Rebirth a regression (well it is one and is a progression too), but i think that for many fans progression mean different things.

  10. #10
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    231

    Default

    I can't get over Jon as Superboy, Post crisis Lois taking over NuLois' life, people accepting Post crisis supermn as Superman when they know he isn't their Superman, The way they put us through Truth only to have the New 52 Superman killed off, The Solar flare power turning New 52 Superman completely human when he's a Kryptonian from a gravity dense world, How everyone all of a sudden is supportive of Le Luthor and Superman supposedly doesn't know he's been a criminal when in universe this Luthor is a known villain. The list goes on and on

  11. #11
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Arkham, Mass (lol no)
    Posts
    5,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Getting over something is the "pan de cada dia" for comic book fans, we always ended doing that eventually.

    Personally speaking, the New 52 reboot and to a lesser extent, Crisis On Infinite Earths. I mean i like Post-Crisis Superman (a lot more than Nuperman for sure), but i agreed that Byrne's reboot wasn't the best way to go back in the day. I was more piss of with the New 52 thought, i don't consider Rebirth a regression (well it is one and is a progression too), but i think that for many fans progression mean different things.
    This is my thoughts. Fundamentally, I can't get over the reboots, the Bryne hard reboot making Superman into too Marvel a character, and even worse, the New 52 reboot. Superman comics needed some adjusting before COIE, a hard reboot was not the way do it. Some soft revamping was the way. And now most comic Superman fans just argue on message boards over messy reboots, all tribalism.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

  12. #12
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,033

    Default

    In all my years of reading Superman, the only thing I've ever experienced that I can't "get over" is the stupid temporal refugee element introduced to the pre-FP Superman in Rebirth (this includes the horrific issues of Lois hijacking the other Lois' life). I need it to go away in the worst way. Just stopping with referencing it won't do it for me. It HAS to be erased or I don't know if I can continue on. I think, I pray, that I'm getting that wish come March. But in the event I don't...I just don't know. Its the only deal-breaker scenario I've ever dealt with, literally. As mad as I was about killing off New 52 Superman, this is even beyond that. Every other bad story, every other goofy characterization, I can just forget happened and attribute to crappy writing and move on. This is something so bad that's so ensconced within the character though, that can't possibly leave it or be ignored until they make it gone, that I just can't get over it. So hopefully they DO make it gone, in just a few short months. Crossing my fingers.

    Jon could attain that level of intolerance, depending on how he's handled going forward. As of now I just have a general dislike of the idea of Superman having an adolescent kid in main continuity, but its not intolerable yet. But if they try to force him as so ultra-important as it kinda seems like they want to do, its going to get distracting and annoying really, really fast. So I hope they tread carefully there.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-28-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: FREAKING ASTERISKS. I'm a Windows Insider using Edge, please bear with me, its a bug.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    4,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In all my years of reading Superman, the only thing I've ever experienced that I can't "get over" is the stupid temporal refugee element introduced to the pre-FP Superman in Rebirth (this includes the horrific issues of Lois hijacking the other Lois' life). I need it to go away in the worst way. Just*stopping with referencing* it won't do it for me. It HAS to be erased or I don't know if I can continue on. I think, I pray, that I'm getting that wish come March. But in the event I don't...I just don't know. Its the only deal-breaker scenario I've ever dealt with, literally. As mad as I was about killing off New 52 Superman, this is even beyond that. Every other bad story, every other goofy characterization, I can just forget happened and attribute to crappy writing and move on. This is something so bad that's so ensconced within the character though, that can't possibly leave it or be ignored until they make it gone, that I just can't get over it. So hopefully they DO make it gone, in just a few short months. Crossing my fingers.
    It can't go away 'cuz it has already happened. They can't really change how the character got here.

    Jon could attain that level of intolerance, depending on how he's handled going forward. As of now I just have a general dislike of the idea of Superman having an adolescent kid in main continuity, but its not intolerable yet. But if they try to force him as so ultra-important as it kinda seems like they want to do, its going to get distracting and annoying really, really fast. So I hope they tread carefully there.
    You don't get it: Jon is the one and only legacy of Superman and Krypton, he's the future. This kid is the next Superman...

    Attachment 43096

    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 12-28-2016 at 02:52 PM.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member FishyZombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    Runner up would be Superman as a farm boy, I have always disliked that.
    Hey, could I have some clarification? i've seen this debate touched on a couple of times here, but I'm not exactly sure what a "farm boy" means in this context. Is farmboy supposed to be about how he grew up on a farm and did farm stuff, or are you referring to it as some kind of character archtype? Or something else?

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Hey, could I have some clarification? i've seen this debate touched on a couple of times here, but I'm not exactly sure what a "farm boy" means in this context. Is farmboy supposed to be about how he grew up on a farm and did farm stuff, or are you referring to it as some kind of character archtype? Or something else?
    To me is a mindset. The way in which they turn Superman into some type of hick (campesino) uneducated unsophisticated naive backwoods fool. The kind of guy who needs a scientist friend because he is too dumb to understand science by himself because he is just a farmboy who happens to have super powers.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •