Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Standing Member

The reason Kal-El got a little older on Kypton during the Weisinger era is quite pragmatic. It was part of Mort recognizing that Krypton is a great science fiction story and needing ways to tell that story, despite the planet being blown up real good. So if Kal-El is a toddler on Krypton he can remember interacting with other people and pets on Krypton before he left it. It does get a bit ridiculous (sometimes it looked like he was four or five years old by the time he left the doomed planet), but then you have the new origin for Kara Zor-El, where she must've been in her teens--just so she can do the same thing, i.e. remember Krypton before it exploded. I find that twisting of her origin far harder to swallow than any of Kal-El's multiple choice origins.

She talks kinda lazy and people say she she's crazy and her life's a mystery
    Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows like me

(another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

Incredible Member

Another peculiar area concerning Krypton is the idea of Kryptonians being superhuman. Was Kal being special/first in gaining superhuman powers an addition of Man of Steel? Or was this an on again/off again concept from earlier years?

As I recall, the idea of Kryptonians being superhuman started.....maybe a bit before Barry Allen ushered in the Silver Age? Jim Kelly can likely set us straight on this; dude is an encyclopedia of comic trivia.

But *if* Im remembering things right, Kryptonians weren't at Clark's level of power but had the "leaping tall buildings" thing going for them.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Standing Member

Well, the comic strip origin story by Siegel and Shuster has the Kryptonians being superhuman on their planet.
    https://myfavouritefunnies.files.wor.../11/sd0001.jpg
    http://theages.superman.nu/origins/1939.php

However, there's also the explanation that the gravity makes Superman more super on Earth--as explained in SUPERMAN No.1 (1939)--"Scientific Explanation of Superman's Amazing Strength--!"
    http://superman.nu/tales2/explanation.php

I guess Kryptonians were powerful on Krypton, but Superman was even more powerful on Earth, owing to the lower gravity.

But by the mid-'40s, on Krypton, they're not super-powered and the gravity explanation is the prevailing reason for Superman having all his powers. Although, the people of Krypton are "human beings of high intelligence and great physical beauty," in MORE FUN COMICS No. 101 (January-February '45).
    http://theages.superman.nu/origins/1945/

The gravity doesn't make a whole lot of sense--sure maybe Superman's stronger and can leap futher, but x-ray vision, flight? How does gravity account for that? Nevertheless, this remains the prime reason for Superman's powers through the 1950s.

The red sun/yellow sun explanation doesn't come into effect until 1960--Superman's powers are the result of lower gravity and yellow sunlight. Which is the main explanation until 1986, when Byrne comes into effect. At that point, it seems to be mainly the sunlight thing--the gravity of Krypton being uncertain.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 01-23-2017 at 09:03 AM.

She talks kinda lazy and people say she she's crazy and her life's a mystery
    Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows like me

(another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Which is something that gets to my nerves. I just can't fathom that Superman gets EVERYTHING from his exposure to yellow sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Which is something that gets to my nerves. I just can't fathom that Superman gets EVERYTHING from his exposure to yellow sunlight.
    This bugs me as well, especially when Kryptonite comes into play and Clark or other Kryptonians are instantly powerless with no enhanced capabilities. A Kryptonian exposed to Kryptonite or even having somehow lost their powers (exposure to Gold K) should still be faster and stronger than an Earthling. Maybe not leaping tall buildings in a single bound, but certainly enhanced strength, speed, reflexes, healing, and resistance to injury.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

The resurrection of this old thread gives me the opportunity to say halleluiah that the stupid temporal-refugee angle is dead and gone. I now officially have nothing that I'm struggling to get over. There's certain things I miss, but nothing gnawing at me going forward in regards to just not being able to accept it in continuity.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Still not over this being gone from the backstory

and I'm not gonna be.

In stark contrast to SacredKnight, I actually kind of preferred the wigged out universe hopping backstory because at least it didn't wig out the New 52 continuity. At least the universe was previously capable of honoring the late Superman. Now the whole thing's in flux like it's 2007 again. It's kind of a disaster. Also as much as I disliked Multiplicity's resolution, the cliffhanger with Kal being able to defy Prophecy because he wasn't from anywhere in the multiverse was awesome. If some of that action comes back, Superman's lost his advantage.

But more than mucking up the continuity between Superman and the Men of Steel and Final Days of Superman, Reborn mucked up all the prior Rebirth Superman stuff too!

Luthor's really taken the Reborn hit hard in terms of his backstory. Before it was like "Luthor became the new Superman after Kal died only to find himself at odds with this weird doppelganger who he and the rest of the League slowly learn to trust". Now it's like "Luthor became the second Superman concurrent with Kal for a reason presumably I guess or maybe not who knows".
    Last edited by Adekis; 05-17-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I don't like that in the post-Reborn "definitive" Superman's timeline, he spent most (10 years) of his superhero career living on a farm in Hamilton/California and that after Jon's birth he gave up being Superman publicly for X amount of years (until the beginning of his new52 adventures, apparently).

And this...

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Now the whole thing's in flux like it's 2007 again. It's kind of a disaster. Also as much as I disliked Multiplicity's resolution, the cliffhanger with Kal being able to defy Prophecy because he wasn't from anywhere in the multiverse was awesome. If some of that action comes back, Superman's lost his advantage.

But more than mucking up the continuity between Superman and the Men of Steel and Final Days of Superman, Reborn mucked up all the prior Rebirth Superman stuff too!

Luthor's really taken the Reborn hit hard in terms of his backstory. Before it was like "Luthor became the new Superman after Kal died only to find himself at odds with this weird doppelganger who he and the rest of the League slowly learn to trust". Now it's like "Luthor became the second Superman concurrent with Kal for a reason presumably I guess or maybe not who knows".

I'm bummed the Morrison origin is out as far as Metropolis (his Smallville days are a mix of SO and Morrison since the Kents died on prom night). I don't care that the t-shirt and jeans look is out, I was never as into that as some fans, but definitely bummed the lower power level before the major boost is gone. That was lots of fun. But, I can't abide a Superman from an alternate reality more than I can't abide a changing of the origin, and the unfortunate flux state things are back in.

As far as spending most of his time living on a farm with his family, there's either one of two ways that'll go. Either Jurgens really does intend that to be the amount of time he was on downtime in a black suit raising Jon, in which case that WILL be removed sooner than later and condensced down, because it just doesn't work and is a major brain fart in the zeal to try and make L&C still canon. Or, the art was misleading and its been intended from the start that the L&C stuff was indeed condensced down and was nowhere near 10 years, thus the scene of the Kents moving to Hamilton with Jon old enough to carry boxes was an artistic mistake.

Either way there is no way in hell its going to go down that Superman took a nearly 10 year break. In the end, they will have been in hiding in California for a year at the most, then Superman will come back full-time and they'll move to Hamilton with Jon a toddler at the oldest. At some point logic will have to prevail in this regard. It just can't slip by that many people within the company that there's no way it fits Superman's character and that there's no way it fits the lore to be on a break for 10 years.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-17-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I don't like that in the post-Reborn "definitive" Superman's timeline, he spent most (10 years) of his superhero career living on a farm in Hamilton/California and that after Jon's birth he gave up being Superman publicly for X amount of years (until the beginning of his new52 adventures, apparently).
    How does that work if Jon is 10 years old? Has everyone been around for 20 years at this point?

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    How does that work if Jon is 10 years old? Has everyone been around for 20 years at this point?
    12/15 years at most, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm bummed the Morrison origin is out as far as Metropolis (his Smallville days are a mix of SO and Morrison since the Kents died on prom night). I don't care that the t-shirt and jeans look is out, I was never as into that as some fans, but definitely bummed the lower power level before the major boost is gone. That was lots of fun. But, I can't abide a Superman from an alternate reality more than I can't abide a changing of the origin, and the unfortunate flux state things are back in.

As far as spending most of his time living on a farm with his family, there's either one of two ways that'll go. Either Jurgens really does intend that to be the amount of time he was on downtime in a black suit raising Jon, in which case that WILL be removed sooner than later and condensced down, because it just doesn't work and is a major brain fart in the zeal to try and make L&C still canon. Or, the art was misleading and its been intended from the start that the L&C stuff was indeed condensced down and was nowhere near 10 years, thus the scene of the Kents moving to Hamilton with Jon old enough to carry boxes was an artistic mistake.

Either way there is no way in hell its going to go down that Superman took a nearly 10 year break. In the end, they will have been in hiding in California for a year at the most, then Superman will come back full-time and they'll move to Hamilton with Jon a toddler at the oldest. At some point logic will have to prevail in this regard. It just can't slip by that many people within the company that there's no way it fits Superman's character and that there's no way it fits the lore to be on a break for 10 years.
    L&C is definitely canon. It was explicitly mentioned and shown in 978, then 979 featured the oblivion stone.

Also, it wasn't a break. He just operated under the radar, same as he originally did before catching the space plane in Man of Steel.

I know the major events are canon, and I'm not at all concerned that they are, its fine to fit it in, but it has to be slimmed down from the original timeline of the mini. The New 52 stuff was placed at a different time in Superman's career, the in-hiding stuff equally needs to altered, in this case the time being a fraction of that in which they lived in hiding in the mini.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-17-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Oh. It might be, but it doesn't have to be. I think it depends on how long they state that they lived in Hamilton. And I guess maybe how long ago he fought Black, since it's doubtful his plan's been getting carried out for more than a year and Jon is definitely ten at this point.