Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member

Default Comic book reccommendations help

I think this post should have been in another section so I have deleted it, I am new member so appologize me pls
    Last edited by MapleMatt; 12-29-2016 at 03:21 AM.

In general terms, I'd suggest you "remember" that at its' heart comics is simply a profoundly flexible way of telling stories...and ultimately it's the skill of the writer and artist that determine quality rather than the particular character featured. There are a load of skilled writers and artists involved in the medium...but there will be inevitably be a ton of stuff that will not be to your own taste.

So first hint I'd say is explore a bit...just read tons of stuff and find out what you like or don't like. It may be a bit of a grind to start with, but you're find stuff you really like...and can then focus future reading on your favourite writers, artists, and characters. It's worth persevering, I think, because the medium is a wonderful way to tell stories.

My own bias is best way to do that initial exploration is to go to decent libraries, and browse through the graphic novels/ trade paperback collections, and take out and read anything that grabs your interest. Better I think to find your own tastes than try something because a veteran fan (however knowledge-able) recommends a series.

But if you've done a fair bit of comics reading already and are looking for more specific recs...you'll need to spell out in a fair amount of detail the stuff you've read already, and what you really like.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-29-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Newbie Member

Hi, thanx alot for the advice, Im already 36, my work schedule...rather not talk about it, but would like to ask you if you could give me at least little navigation, help...so ur saying characters are not that important, I like many anyway and will ne glad if you could advice me some good written and artists worth a look and series which I could preorder and could be interesting. I dont have that much free time to go through etc. I have kids, hard work....so little navigation could be fine, it can b really any Heroe, because as Uv mentioned for me is aswell the written quality and art the most important factors
    Last edited by MapleMatt; 12-30-2016 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMatt View Post
    Hi, thanx alot for the advice, Im already 36, my work schedule...rather not talk about it, but would like to ask you if you could give me at least little navigation, help...so ur saying characters are not that important, I like many anyway and will ne glad if you could advice me some good written and artists worth a look and series which I could preorder and could be interesting. I dont have that much free time to go through etc. I have kids, hard work....so little navigation could be fine, it can b really any Heroe, because as Uv mentioned for me is aswell the written quality and art the most important factors
    Taste is so subjective that following other peoples recs is terribly hit and miss, unless you've read some of same comics, and know you've got a similar taste to other person.

However, one pretty good way of giving yourself a good chance of an enjoyable read is to get stuff on this sites all time top 100 comics list...every comic on it will be good of its type. You may not like its "type"...but if you do, then you can almost guarantee a good read. (e.g. I don't like Green Lantern....and therefore wouldn't read any GL stuff on list anyway. But I do like stuff written by Garth Ennis...and the list features the Garth Ennis series such as Preacher, Punisher Max, and Hitman that I would regard as examples of his best work.)

If you use the link below it takes you to master list, then you get a bit more descriptive detail easily by clicking on comic titles.

http://www.cbr.com/2012-top-100-comi...ns-master-list
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-30-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Since I couldn't find your question in any of the other topics could you update the first post with your original question please? Or based on your 2nd post is it a recommendation help thread for a complete newbie? I might just change the title to that to create a general "Newbie recommendations and starting points" thread.

BTW the top100 lists are a really good recommendation if you don't have time to figure out reading orders and such. I would say forget MArvel and DC it's highly confusing with their big name characters and the books that are all time bests are usually on these top100 lists (like Dark knight returns, Kraven's last hunt, All-star Superman etc etc) and usually can be purchased in a single volume and can be read without context.

Newbie Member

Yes, the original post was like that, Im fairly new into comics and did some research today and discovered fe preacher, Lazarus, which I think I might like, Im 36 so my idea was punisher or daredevil from Marvel as they Dont look completely overpowered and have kinda humanity in themselves. I would prefer something dark, brutal and as Uv mentioned not nessesarilly from Marvel or DC, point is that I didnt know much about other good companies and their products, I wd like to start collecting and not really sure how to start. So maybe u cd recommend me stuff which could appeal more towards adult audience and mention some series which r ongoing or which I could preorder in future and maybe some previous books which are Worth to look for. Yet another question, is IT better ...or whats the main difference between getting the issues...I Dont know if Iv expressed it well, pls appologize my english...or to get the books in hard cover. Is it just a matter of personál taste or does it have something to do with the value of the stuff? Thanx for ur help in advance and again...Sorry for my english, Im not native speaker

Its really down to preference. Collecting issues gets you the story as soon as its released, plus i guess you be supporting the creators more immediately if that bothers you.
    Collecting trades or hardcovers if often better value for money and you get the whole story in a chunk. Plus they look better on a shelf. You can get oversized editions etc...

Ill throw out a few recs:

Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis (not for kids!)
    Daredevil by Brian Bendis

Preacher (also by Ennis) and Lazarus as mentioned, are great books.
    The writer of Lazarus; Greg Rucka, has a new book starting in Feb called The Old Guard. Might be worth a look if you wanna collect a series monthly.

Sin City by Frank Miller
    Watchmen by Alan Moore
    Sandman by Neil Gaiman
    Hellboy and related series. BPRD, Baltimore, Lobster Johnson etc
    Locke & Key by Joe Hill
    Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis
    The works of Brubaker & Phillips: Criminal, Fatale, The Fade Out, Incognito, Sleeper...

Newbie Member

Hi, thanx alot for the reccommendations, but I would rather stick with Marvel comics which I ať least know a little bít from movies and TV series, just dont know where to start, what to order for, I like most of their Heroes so that is not much of an issue, maybe the most enjoyed from movies was X-Men and Daredevil Netflix series, aswell Deadpool wasnt bad. I would like to ask which new issues would you reccommend me to preorder, because ať our local store there IS not much chance to gettin in back if Ill miss some, I know there IS ebay, but will prefer some fresh stuff. Any from Marvel which should be worth it. Thank You in advance, IS the Image comics, Dark horse, Vertigo more compelling towards the adults?
    Last edited by MapleMatt; 12-31-2016 at 06:21 AM.

Newbie Member

Hi and thank You for advice, Ill definitelly také a look on some other comics than from Marvel. But would like to start with Marvel because their heroes in movies appealed to mě most, I dont know any other TV shows or movies except from Marvel and DC. Are there any good? But still, my main interest is in Marvel comics so I wd like to know what would you reccommend me from the year 2016 and upcoming year. I like almost all od their heroes, but aswell wdnt like to waste the money, maybe u can Tell mě to concentrate different direction than Marvel, I Just mentioned I like their movies and series aswell like DC's Batman, are there big differencies of quality when it comes to the movie/comics? And which direction do you think I shd bez oriented, fe I really enjoyed daredevil Netflix series and the Deadpool movie was aswell entertaining for me
    Last edited by MapleMatt; 12-31-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Newbie Member

I hope my questions are not annoying, because Im fairly new and few days ago didnt even know that publishers Image comics, Dark horse etc exist, I knew only Marvel and DC because of their movies and would like to get deeper into the heroes background etc. so realized that I could start collecting it wd b fine and entertaining hobby, thnx for understanding

Current Marvel stuff id recommend Moon Knight by Lemire, Black Widow by Waid and Punisher by Cloonan if you wanna stay street level. Maybe Powerman & Iron Fist.
    The Daredevil by Soule is okay but not amazing.
    Theres a new Iron Fist, Elektra and Kingpin series coming out too if you wanna keep an eye out for those.

Beyond street-level stuff, the current Thor, Vision, Dr Strange and All New Wolverine are good.

But yeah, id highly recommend venturing out beyond Marvel/DC. Especially for more adult and thought provoking works.
    Its like movies. The Marvel movies are great an all, but if you only stuck to them youd never see The Godfather or Shawshank or Blade Runner etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Current Marvel stuff id recommend Moon Knight by Lemire, Black Widow by Waid and Punisher by Cloonan if you wanna stay street level. Maybe Powerman & Iron Fist.
    The Daredevil by Soule is okay but not amazing.
    Theres a new Iron Fist, Elektra and Kingpin series coming out too if you wanna keep an eye out for those.

Beyond street-level stuff, the current Thor, Vision, Dr Strange and All New Wolverine are good.

But yeah, id highly recommend venturing out beyond Marvel/DC. Especially for more adult and thought provoking works.
    Its like movies. The Marvel movies are great an all, but if you only stuck to them youd never see The Godfather or Shawshank or Blade Runner etc.
    And even sticking with Marvel and DC, there's only a small percentage of current stuff that's as well written as the best material from the past. That's just the natural order of things. I think it's fair to discount the really early DC/Marvel stuff because their style 50 years ago would not be to taste of many adults. BUT that still leaves a lot of stuff published in last 30 years...only a small percentage of the all time top series will be being published now.

Examples abound. But here's three:-

Frank Miller's Daredevil run is better than present Daredevil run.
    Garth Ennis Punisher run is better than present Punisher run.
    John Ostrander Suicide Squad run is better than present Suicide Squad run.

Yes...I know that in normal circumstances...I ought to qualify statements like that with "in my subjective opinion". But I'm pretty sure most people that have read comics for many years feel same way.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    And even sticking with Marvel and DC, there's only a small percentage of current stuff that's as well written as the best material from the past. That's just the natural order of things. I think it's fair to discount the really early DC/Marvel stuff because their style 50 years ago would not be to taste of many adults. BUT that still leaves a lot of stuff published in last 30 years...only a small percentage of the all time top series will be being published now.

Examples abound. But here's three:-

Frank Miller's Daredevil run is better than present Daredevil run.
    Garth Ennis Punisher run is better than present Punisher run.
    John Ostrander Suicide Squad run is better than present Suicide Squad run.

Yes...I know that in normal circumstances...I ought to qualify statements like that with "in my subjective opinion". But I'm pretty sure most people that have read comics for many years feel same way.
    hmmm, I think Miller's DD and Bendis' is on the same level but I MUCH prefer Bendis. I think Miller is regarded as the best because he started to dark tone for the series but it didn't hold up for me. I actually quite dislike his original series.
    That said, Born again is probably the best DD story ever.

But to contradict you:
    Fraction's Hawkeye is better than any other HAwkeye series before.
    I would argue Ellis' short lived Moon Knight run is the best but I've only read the first epic collection.
    And speaking of Ellis, Nextwave-Agents of H.A.T.E. i probably the best thing Marvel ever produced.
    DNA Guardians is probably better than the original team.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    hmmm, I think Miller's DD and Bendis' is on the same level but I MUCH prefer Bendis. I think Miller is regarded as the best because he started to dark tone for the series but it didn't hold up for me. I actually quite dislike his original series.
    That said, Born again is probably the best DD story ever.

But to contradict you:
    Fraction's Hawkeye is better than any other HAwkeye series before.
    I would argue Ellis' short lived Moon Knight run is the best but I've only read the first epic collection.
    And speaking of Ellis, Nextwave-Agents of H.A.T.E. i probably the best thing Marvel ever produced.
    DNA Guardians is probably better than the original team.
    You're not really contradicting me.

I never claimed that some current comics were not better than their predecessors. Just "said" that because a great many comics have been published over a great many years, that there are very few current comics that are as good as the best of yesteryear.

Try telling me with a straight face that it there are presently a great many better comics that Nextwave, Planetary, or Transmetropolitan!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    You're not really contradicting me.

I never claimed that some current comics were not better than their predecessors. Just "said" that because a great many comics have been published over a great many years, that there are very few current comics that are as good as the best of yesteryear.

Try telling me with a straight face that it there are presently a great many better comics that Nextwave, Planetary, or Transmetropolitan!
    contradict was maybe a strong word, more like "plenty of exceptions" what I meant. Although I was only considering DC and MArvel superhero stuff.
    And damn! Planetary and Transmetropolitan started almost 20 years ago so I guess they almost count as older classics now.