Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 466 to 480 of 569
  1. #466
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    update:

    Kill or Be Killed TP v2 (6) - Enjoyed this more than the first volume. Seemed to hit its stride

    Eclipse TP v1 (4) - Bought this on a whim, a post-apocalyptic murder mystery. Not bad, kind of cliche, but somewhat curious to see where they go in the second volume.

    The Old Guard TP v1 (5) - This was right up my alley. Great stuff from Rucka, although I've never been a fan of Fernandez. Hope the wait for v2 isn't too long.

    Batman (Rebirth) HC v1 (15) - Despite the mixed opinions, I really enjoyed both the main arcs from this book. Yeah, it was an odd choice about NOTMM, but I'll be getting the other deluxes to complete it, so no biggie for me. And after reading the first part, frankly i doubt there's much to be missed skipping it (especially considering it's not mentioned afterwards).

    BPRD HC v2 (17) - More BPRD goodness. The Black Flame was/has been my favorite "arc" of the series so far.

    Trying to pick up the pace a bit. May be able to make it by years' end

    559 + 47 = 606 for the year

  2. #467
    Astonishing Member TomSlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Harley Quinn omnibus (12)
    Darth Vader omnibus (29)
    Star Wars 34-35 (2)
    Superman 28-29 (2)
    Action Comics 985-986 (2)
    Super Sons 7
    Awesome Hulk 22
    Amazing Spider-Man 31
    The Walking Dead 170
    Invincible Iron Man 10
    Infamous Iron Man 11
    Daredevil 25
    Mage The Hero Denied 1
    Old Man Logan 27
    Detective 962
    Defenders 4

    TOTAL: 58
    OVERALL TOTAL: 1,451

  3. #468
    Incredible Member Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    745

    Default

    How was the DV omnibus?! I can't read it yet because its for my birthday and that isn't until the 30th
    "Live a poem... or die a fool!"

  4. #469
    Astonishing Member TomSlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    How was the DV omnibus?! I can't read it yet because its for my birthday and that isn't until the 30th
    It's great. Can't say enough good things about it.

  5. #470
    Mighty Member Mr`Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Chew 1-60 + 4 specials - 64 issues.
    So another big run completed. I loved the Chew book when it first came out and read the first couple of Omnivore editions and as it was a finite series I waited till it was completed before I tackled it again. As great and well received as the book is, it is one that you can tell went from a 25-30 issue book to 60 issues because of the sales and not the story. It really does drag through the middle, yes the world is built out some more but it doesn't move the larger story forward at all. The whole avian flu, sky writing, conspiracy story is forgotten for a large chunk of the story, Time and effort is spent on adding newer and weirder food powers and people to the world. And as entertaining as they are the book does loose some of its quality and tight story telling during this detour. Had they stuck to the core story and built that out I think it would have been a much better series. Overall about a 7/10 and that is due to the cast, art and initial strong start.

    The Killer Volume 5 - 6 issues
    The first four volumes sit near the top of my pile when it comes to my favourite comics. Amazing art, great story and beautifully paced. volume 5 was not needed and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Read the first four and enjoy one of the best comics out there.

    Redlands Issue 1 - interesting, will keep an eye out on reviews.
    Keyser Soze: Scorched Earth - issue 1. Meh
    Screaming Planet - 4 issues. Meh. Some good, some bad. A little disappointing to be be honest.


    This "week": 76
    Total: 563

  6. #471
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Chew 1-60 + 4 specials - 64 issues.
    So another big run completed. I loved the Chew book when it first came out and read the first couple of Omnivore editions and as it was a finite series I waited till it was completed before I tackled it again. As great and well received as the book is, it is one that you can tell went from a 25-30 issue book to 60 issues because of the sales and not the story. It really does drag through the middle, yes the world is built out some more but it doesn't move the larger story forward at all. The whole avian flu, sky writing, conspiracy story is forgotten for a large chunk of the story, Time and effort is spent on adding newer and weirder food powers and people to the world. And as entertaining as they are the book does loose some of its quality and tight story telling during this detour. Had they stuck to the core story and built that out I think it would have been a much better series. Overall about a 7/10 and that is due to the cast, art and initial strong start.
    Summed this up perfectly. Couldn't agree more.

  7. #472
    X-Fan & Marvel Collector
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

    TOTAL: 58
    OVERALL TOTAL: 1,451
    Damn, you're ahead of a 2000-books-a-year pace right now and leading me by about 300 issues! I need to step up my game!
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

    You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

  8. #473
    Astonishing Member TomSlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Damn, you're ahead of a 2000-books-a-year pace right now and leading me by about 300 issues! I need to step up my game!
    Yeah, I had a couple of long weekends when the family went out of town (including this one) where I did absolutely nothing but read comics.

  9. #474
    Astonishing Member UltimateTy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    The Wicked & The Divine Vol 5 (23-28) - This volume wasn't that good
    Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 (Green Lantern: Recharge #1-5, Green Lantern #1-3) - I'm really enjoying this
    Invincible (#33-35)
    Astonishing X-Men #3
    Spider-Man #20
    Black Panther #17
    Venomverse: War Stories #1
    The Dying and the Dead #5

    Total = 846
    We need better comics

  10. #475
    Amazing Member Bloodbones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    update:

    Kill or Be Killed TP v2 (6) - Enjoyed this more than the first volume. Seemed to hit its stride

    Eclipse TP v1 (4) - Bought this on a whim, a post-apocalyptic murder mystery. Not bad, kind of cliche, but somewhat curious to see where they go in the second volume.

    The Old Guard TP v1 (5) - This was right up my alley. Great stuff from Rucka, although I've never been a fan of Fernandez. Hope the wait for v2 isn't too long.

    Batman (Rebirth) HC v1 (15) - Despite the mixed opinions, I really enjoyed both the main arcs from this book. Yeah, it was an odd choice about NOTMM, but I'll be getting the other deluxes to complete it, so no biggie for me. And after reading the first part, frankly i doubt there's much to be missed skipping it (especially considering it's not mentioned afterwards).

    BPRD HC v2 (17) - More BPRD goodness. The Black Flame was/has been my favorite "arc" of the series so far.

    Trying to pick up the pace a bit. May be able to make it by years' end

    559 + 47 = 606 for the year
    I really liked Batman Rebirth too! I'm currently reading the TPB Vol. 3. Kill or be Killed is an excellent series so far. Absolutely love it!!

  11. #476
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    98

    Default

    2017 Week 36

    Action Comics 653-664 (12 issues)
    Adventures of Superman 467-478 (12 issues)
    Superman 44-55 (12 issues)
    Valerian Bienvenue sur Alflolol (2 issues)

    Total for the week: 38
    Total for the year: 1121

  12. #477

    Default

    Mark Waid's Green Hornet #1-13:
    Very solid period superhero comic that captures the fun of the pulp hero, and the harm caused by his strategy of pretending to be a villain.

    Uncle Scrooge Volume 1 #10-12:
    Excellent storytelling/ all-ages adventures.

    Captain Marvel (Fawcett) #22-25:
    Solid golden age superhero adventure.

    Deadshot #1-4:
    This mini-series starts dark and gets nastier, as the hero's deathwish is explored.

    Batman #369/ Detective Comics #501-502, 518, 536: Comics that tie into Alfred's daughter and/ or Deadshot. Generic bronze age Batman. Not bad, but largely forgettable.

    Graphic Novel #39- Superman Sunday Classics '39-'43
    A collection of Golden Age era comic strips stories by Siegel and Shuster. Fun and historically significant.

    Graphic Novel #40- Talking to Girls at Parties
    Disposable Gaiman adaptation by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon. Not bad, but not worth cover price. Captures a guy so caught up in meeting girls that he doesn't understand the weirdness around him.

    Graphic Novel #41- Deathnote All in One
    At 2,500+ pages, it is easily the longest graphic novel I ever read. It's a look at what happens when the wrong teenager gets the power to kill anyone he wants, and follows from his early decisions. It's almost like a manga Breaking Bad in showing an anti-hero playing the long game.

    Marvel Premiere #47-48: A decent origin for the Scott Lang Antman that immediately establishes his personality. Great art by John Byrne.

    And some Spider-Man...

    Spectacular Spider-Man #137-143
    Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man Volume 2 #1-3

    Total So Far: 1,443 Issues, 41 Graphic Novels

    Personal Challenge Progress: 100 Issues from the 2010s complete, 72 issues from the 2000s, 58 issues from the 1990s, 51 issues from the 1980s, 47 issues from the 1970s, 39 issues from the 1960s, 15 issues from the 1950s, 25 issues from the 1940s, 58 black & white issues, 82 issues from Comics Journal's Top 100 (adding Scrooge and Capt. Marvel)

    Best of the Batch: Deathnote All in One, especially the first half with the conflict against a young master detective. It's an excellent battle of wits in an unusual context.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  13. #478
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    ^How was it handling Death Note? Will it last? I was intrigued just by the absurdity of it.

  14. #479
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    4,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Best of the Batch: Deathnote All in One, especially the first half with the conflict against a young master detective. It's an excellent battle of wits in an unusual context.
    I'm reading Death note right now in the 12 volume box set, currently at vol 10. I quite agree with your comparison to Breaking bad but the first half with the seemingly endless battle of wits that brought the series to a standstill became kind of a slog around vol 4-5, it made me a bit worried but then around halfway through the series when the big status quo change happens it got REALLY good.

  15. #480
    Incredible Member Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I too, am reading Deathnote just now in the boxset format, which by the way is really nice. I can't wait to get the Akira anniversary edition. Anyway, I've only read Vol 1 so far, but I like it up to this point. I think it I like it mostly because it is absurd? :P
    "Live a poem... or die a fool!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •