Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Thor: Heroes Return omnibus (43)
    Justice League International omnibus (40)
    Swamp Thing Bronze Age omnibus (31)
    Age of Ultron OHC (20)
    Wonder Woman: Rebirth Deluxe HC (15)
    Absolute Authority vol. 1 (14)
    Hellblazer tpb vol. 17 (13)
    Hellboy in Hell LE (12)
    Kill or Be Killed tpb vol. 1-2 (10)
    End League Library Ed. (9)
    Seven to Eternity tpb 1-2 (9)
    The Last Days of American Crime tpb (7)
    Shadowman tpb (7)
    Redneck tpb (6)
    Venom: Homecoming tpb (6)
    Death of Hawkman tpb (6)
    The Punisher: On the Road tpb (6)
    Old Guard vol. 1 tpb (5)
    Rat Queens vol. 1 tpb (5)
    JLA: A Midsummer’s Nightmare deluxe (5)
    Kill or Be Killed vol. 1 tpb (4)
    Here’s Negan HC (3)
    Daredevil 27-28 (2)
    Amazing Spider-Man 789-790 (2)
    Punisher: Platoon 1-2 (2)
    Marvel Legacy Spotlight (1)

Total: 271
    Overall Total: 1,815
    Did you end up liking WW? How was Redneck? That one kinda piqued my interest

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Did you end up liking WW? How was Redneck? That one kinda piqued my interest
    Loved WW. A great read. I think if I bought this in floppies would have been somewhat confounding. There were two story lines going on - Lies and Year One - and they would alternate each publication or sometimes you'd get two in a row and then the other. Read as a whole, however, it was a lot easier. The two story lines, by the way, were somewhat tied and meant to come together at the end. Still, it could have been handled better for those reading this in floppies. I believe WW comes out twice a month, so I suspect it had to do more with the artists, since each story line had a different artist. On a side note, the art was great, too!

Redneck was very cool and very original. I mean it's about vampires, so at this point when it comes to zombies and vampires it's hard to do something new (and I think he did). I liked it and would recommend it, however there were some parts where characters were talking just for the sake of stretching out the page count in the book. At least it appeared that way. It wasn't exactly Bendis-speak, but just kind of random conversations and not even the foreshadowing kind. Donny Cates is going to be a big star but he's still developing. He's certainly come a long way from Buzzkill, which was in itself very, very cool, but also a little amateurish (which is expected for an early work).

I bought both these books during a half off sale at my LCS for the Halloween Comicfest and I don't regret it. Will definitely pick up subsequent volumes for each series.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Loved WW. A great read. I think if I bought this in floppies would have been somewhat confounding. There were two story lines going on - Lies and Year One - and they would alternate each publication or sometimes you'd get two in a row and then the other. Read as a whole, however, it was a lot easier. The two story lines, by the way, were somewhat tied and meant to come together at the end. Still, it could have been handled better for those reading this in floppies. I believe WW comes out twice a month, so I suspect it had to do more with the artists, since each story line had a different artist. On a side note, the art was great, too!

Redneck was very cool and very original. I mean it's about vampires, so at this point when it comes to zombies and vampires it's hard to do something new (and I think he did). I liked it and would recommend it, however there were some parts where characters were talking just for the sake of stretching out the page count in the book. At least it appeared that way. It wasn't exactly Bendis-speak, but just kind of random conversations and not even the foreshadowing kind. Donny Cates is going to be a big star but he's still developing. He's certainly come a long way from Buzzkill, which was in itself very, very cool, but also a little amateurish (which is expected for an early work).

I bought both these books during a half off sale at my LCS for the Halloween Comicfest and I don't regret it. Will definitely pick up subsequent volumes for each series.
    Yeah i thought you'd like WW, i thought it's been the best Rebirth deluxe so far. Think you sold me on Redneck. That's kinda the feeling i was getting out of the solicits, and this Cates guy's name keeps popping up, so I figured I'd try it sooner or later. If you enjoy the non traditional take on the vampire thing, i highly recommend Cannibal (Buccellato) for a great take on the Zombie (kinda) genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    An expert on the occult who was the survivor of a strange incident a few years earlier goes on a space station where his services are needed. Things get weird.
    Nice description! Cheers.

Amazing Spider-Man #156-164: Some issues from the Wein/ Andru run. Has some decent storytelling and smaller moments, but suffers from the lack of interesting challenges for Peter (Spidey's fine) and stories that are more compressed than is helpful.

Sugar & Spike #7-23: Charming series about the misadventures of two toddlers. Has a senisbility akin to earlier Dennis the Menace. One of the weirdest inclusions in the best DC series ever list, although it's likely to be merited.

Legends of the Dark Knight #197-199: Decent self-contained story with gorgeous art by Burnham about a dying nobody's question for revenge against Batman.

Iron Man #21-22/ Peter Parker Spider-Man #11/ Thor #18/ Juggernaut #1:
    A relatively unfocused crossover with a decent concept (Juggernaut's gem is the source of power for other magical villains), but lack of a clear lead and generic new villains.

Zot #11-18: The first black & white issues of McCloud's creator-owned series have shorter stories focusing on the culture clash between a sci-fi world and Earth from the POV of a girl and an alien who travel between them. Decent stuff.

Star Wars (Marvel Relaunch) #1-12: Marvel brought the A-game to the relaunch with big moments (Luke VS Darth Vader, Vader's realization) and artists (Cassady) building nicely on where the characters were between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

Amazing Adventures #1-6: Some of these early Lee/ Ditko sci-fi stories are a bit too ridiculous and really not meant for consumption in the modern era (Doctor Droom- perhaps the first Marvel silver age superhero- is a white guy who develops asian features) but it often has nice storytelling and twists.

Micronauts #1-11: A post-Star Wars sci fi epic with great art by Michael Golden. It's a bit unfocused (a lot of new characters, the aliens' arrival to Earth is more of a detour than part of the big battle) but has much to recommend it.

THUNDER Agents #5-7/ Dynamo #1: Simplistic Silver Age superhero stories with great storytelling, and fun characters.

Total So Far: 1,704 Issues, 52 Graphic Novels

Personal Challenge Progress: 100 Issues from the 2010s complete, 100 issues from the 2000s complete, 78 issues from the 1990s, 71 issues from the 1980s, 95 issues from the 1970s, 100 issues from the 1960s closed, 38 issues from the 1950s, 31 issues from the 1940s, 73 black & white issues, 100 issues from Comics Journal's Top 100 complete, 52 Graphic Novels complete, 1699 Comics out of 2017

Best of the Batch: I'll go with Sugar & Spike.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

2017 Week 45

Thor Epic Collection 3 The Wrath Of Odin (24 issues)
    Magic Kaito 3 (8 issues)

Total for the week: 32
    Total for the year: 1446

Zot #11-18: The first black & white issues of McCloud's creator-owned series have shorter stories focusing on the culture clash between a sci-fi world and Earth from the POV of a girl and an alien who travel between them. Decent stuff.
    are these the issues when Zot is stuck on Earth and the stories deal with stuff like sexual identity? Loved those stories, especially the one with one of the girls being gay, really well written stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    are these the issues when Zot is stuck on Earth and the stories deal with stuff like sexual identity? Loved those stories, especially the one with one of the girls being gay, really well written stories.
    Those stories come a little later. They're the last of the black & white issues (28-36.)

Incidentally, the TPB collection is a pretty damn good deal, with 24 issues and some extras (including commentary) for 25 bucks.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Those stories come a little later. They're the last of the black & white issues (28-36.)

Incidentally, the TPB collection is a pretty damn good deal, with 24 issues and some extras (including commentary) for 25 bucks.
    Ah okay so you got the Complete Zot as well, now I remember that they skip the first couple of issues for some reason. Not that I mind, it really gets good after it starts dealing with real life issues. And yes, the book is a very good deal, I think I got a used copy for like a tenner a couple of years ago.

Mighty Member

update:

Fables HC v4-5 (24)
    Detective Comics Rebirth HC v1 (14)
    Reborn HC (6)

1001 + 44 = 1045 for the year