Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    wasn't there something with the original artist coming back and Fowler quit or something? I think my LCS's owner told me about that and she wasn't happy because of obvious problems with Upchurch.
    I'd chalk that up to being just a rumor, seeing as upchurch is not the artist on the new series. And while Weibe didnt go into specifics on what happened between him and Fowler, she has had a well documented "disagreement" with another writer (the name escapes me) at one point, so there at lesst seems to be some history with her possibly being difficult.

Heres the comment from Weibe responding to unfinished projects:

"Yeah, it is a fact. If you want the full truth, I had completely run out of steam after a rough year. If you want to read about it, here's a link.

I was burnt out and should've taken the break from everything long before the third arc.

The fourth arc I'd planned had a terrible plot, you would've hated it. Dopplegangers took over the town and the real townsfolk were prisoners. *awful*

I saw a few other comments here I'll address:

1) Peter Panzerfaust 24 came out last week, 25 is next month. It was a financial thing, an issue took Tyler a whole month, as it does for most artists. He was taking home less than $500. He has a wife and three kids to support. He took other work until this year I was able to personally pay him to finish. I just wasn't in that place financially a few years ago.

2) Pisces ended because a double whammy of personal stuff that happened to both Johnnie and I. I'm really sad about that one. It was close to my heart.

3) Rat Queens. Look. After everything, I needed a relaunch. Just for a sense of stopping everything for a few moments to catch my breath and refocus. I realize it isn't ideal, but it has worked for me. Proof is in the pudding, though, right? I hope you enjoy it when it comes out in March. Preview pages should be out soon."
    Last edited by awayne83; 04-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.

March = 72

All-New, All-Different Avengers #1
    All-New Hawkeye #1
    All Time Comics: Crime Destroyer #1
    Amazing Spider-man #1-3
    Astonishing Ant-Man #1
    Black Widow #2
    Captain America:Sam Wilson #6-8
    Daredevil #6
    Deadpool #1
    Doctor Strange #1-2
    Extraordinary X-Men #1-2
    Grimm Fairy Tales #3
    Guardians of the Galaxy #1-2
    Heathen #1
    The Incal (309pgs = 14 issues)
    International Iron Man #1-2
    Invincible Iron Man #6-8
    Mighty Thor #3-4
    Moon Knight #1
    Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur #1
    Ms. Marvel #1
    Namesake #1-4
    New Avengers #1-3
    Nova #1
    Power Man & Iron Fist #3
    Red Agent: Human Order #2
    Silk #1
    Spider-Gwen #1-2
    Spider-Woman #1
    Totally Awesome Hulk #3-5
    Ultimates #1
    Uncanny Avengers #1
    Uncanny Inhumans #1-2
    Vision #1-3
    The Wild Storm #2
    Warlords of Appalachia #1-4

Total = 182

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I'd chalk that up to being just a rumor, seeing as upchurch is not the artist on the new series. And while Weibe didnt go into specifics on what happened between him and Fowler, she has had a well documented "disagreement" with another writer (the name escapes me) at one point, so there at lesst seems to be some history with her possibly being difficult.

"Yeah, it is a fact. If you want the full truth, I had completely run out of steam after a rough year. If you want to read about it, here's a link.

I was burnt out and should've taken the break from everything long before the third arc.

The fourth arc I'd planned had a terrible plot, you would've hated it. Dopplegangers took over the town and the real townsfolk were prisoners. *awful*

1) Peter Panzerfaust 24 came out last week, 25 is next month. It was a financial thing, an issue took Tyler a whole month, as it does for most artists. He was taking home less than $500. He has a wife and three kids to support. He took other work until this year I was able to personally pay him to finish. I just wasn't in that place financially a few years ago.

2) Pisces ended because a double whammy of personal stuff that happened to both Johnnie and I. I'm really sad about that one. It was close to my heart.

3) Rat Queens. Look. After everything, I needed a relaunch. Just for a sense of stopping everything for a few moments to catch my breath and refocus. I realize it isn't ideal, but it has worked for me. Proof is in the pudding, though, right? I hope you enjoy it when it comes out in March. Preview pages should be out soon."
    darn, seems like he didn't have an easy time lately. Thanks for the info!

Fantastic Member

i see
    thanks, awayne83
    while financial stuff with Peter Panzerfaust is understandable (and #25 coming out soon is good news, maybe we'll finally see that second HC), what he did to Rat Queens is not cool. i'm tired and blocked, so let's all just pretend the last arc never happened. although it sure is better than continuing to spin a bad plot idea.
    well, anyway, i hope things are looking up for him now.

Incredible Member

Full list in post #54. Posting as I complete books.

Captain Marvel MMW 1 11 issues

So far has started out as pretty standard SA quality and style. The Thomas/Colan/Colletta issues were the best of this volume and a definite highlight. Not overly impressed with Don Heck on this title. Overall pretty meh, but I wasn't expecting much mostly got it for completionist to move into the later cosmic/Starlin era.

A lot of Silver/Bronze age dense books and not much time to read is definitely dragging down my issue rate. Will be lucky to hit 700 this year at current pace.

Total for year: 178
    Last edited by Brewman; 04-13-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Reading comics a second time counts, right?

Latest Contributions:
    Uncanny X-Men: #17-20
    X-Men Gold: #1
    X-Men Blue: #1
    Weapon X: #1
    James Bond Black Box: #1-2
    Diablo Sword of Justice: #1-5
    Motor Crush: #5
    Ether: #1-5

Beginning 30/3/17
    Total = 36

Dark Horse - 5
    Ether - #1-5

DC - 16
    Aquaman N52 - #32-40
    Diablo: Sword of Justice - #1-5
    Secret Origins N52 - #2 and #5

Image - 2
    Mayday - #5
    Motor Crush - #5

Dynamite Entertainment - 3
    James Bond: Black Box - #1-2
    James Bond: Hammerhead - #6

Marvel - 10
    Uncanny X-Men - #15-20
    Weapon X - #1
    X-Men Blue - #1
    X-Men Gold - #1
    X-Men Prime (one-shot) - #1
    "Live a poem... or die a fool!"

Mighty Member

update:

Letter 44 TP v1 (6) - Interesting idea, decent enough story. Didn't care for the art much. Will probably continue.

Chew HC v6 (12) - After v5 I was getting a little bored with this. Thought it ran a bit too long and its charm had worn off. But, it was a long break for me between volumes, and i forgot how much i missed this series. Ended pretty strong and am sad to see it go.

201 + 18 = 219 for the year

2017 top 5:

1. Velvet HC
    2. Black Hammer TP v1
    3. Peter Panzerfaust HC v1
    4. Bloodshot Reborn HC v1
    5. Chew HC v6

update:

Letter 44 TP v1 (6) - Interesting idea, decent enough story. Didn't care for the art much. Will probably continue.

Chew HC v6 (12) - After v5 I was getting a little bored with this. Thought it ran a bit too long and its charm had worn off. But, it was a long break for me between volumes, and i forgot how much i missed this series. Ended pretty strong and am sad to see it go.

201 + 18 = 219 for the year

2017 top 5:

1. Velvet HC
    2. Black Hammer TP v1
    3. Peter Panzerfaust HC v1
    4. Bloodshot Reborn HC v1
    5. Chew HC v6
    I've just binged Chew and I think it benefits from reading the whole series in "one sitting". I don't think it looses steam it just goes to a different direction than what you expect and makes you confused. I was very much invested all the way through and while my reaction to the last few pages originally was "...what?" the more I think about it the more I like it even though the ending is quite sad although weirdly satisfying at the same time.

update:

I'm curious to know what you think works well for this book, I read the first 2-3 books as it sounded really interesting but I am not sure if I am going to read any more as the story went down a path I didn't enjoy.

I've just binged Chew and I think it benefits from reading the whole series in "one sitting". I don't think it looses steam it just goes to a different direction than what you expect and makes you confused. I was very much invested all the way through and while my reaction to the last few pages originally was "...what?" the more I think about it the more I like it even though the ending is quite sad although weirdly satisfying at the same time.
    I loved this book, but haven't read it all yet. I was waiting for the final arc to come out so i can read it all in one go. I'm really looking forward to it.

Mighty Member

Ehh, binging thru the first several HCs the story seemed to spin its wheels somewhere during that 4th HC, and the crazy food-related powers shtick got old to me. Taking a break, combined with the the story wrapping up its loose ends, really did wonders for me. Still a great read! and i love all the little phrases and whatnot's in the background.
    Last edited by awayne83; 04-15-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I'm curious to know what you think works well for this book, I read the first 2-3 books as it sounded really interesting but I am not sure if I am going to read any more as the story went down a path I didn't enjoy.
    I liked the political angle with the new president trying to make his mark, but getting seemingly sabotaged at every turn. And of course there's the allure of "what's out there?" Like i said, decent story and the art was sub par, but i have to admit I'm banking on Soule's rep more than anything here. I'll more than likely give it another arc.
    Last edited by awayne83; 04-15-2017 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

Detective 950 (1)
    Wolverine by Greg Rucka Ultimate Collection (19)
    Wolverine by Jason Aaron Complete Collection Vol. 3 (17)
    Wolverine by Jason Aaron Complete Collection Vol. 4 (16)
    Wolverine/Sabretooth by Jeph Loeb (10)
    Total: 63

Overall total: 168

Currently 400 pages into the Alpha Flight omnibus but I'll hold off the count until I complete it.

Detective 947-949
    The Unwritten OHC
    Frankenstein: Agent of Shade (both tpbs)
    Infamous Iron Man 1-4
    Guardians of the Galaxy omnibus: 48

Total: 80
    TWD 161-163
    Moon Knight 9-11
    Old Man Logan 15-17
    Action Comics 970-972
    Star Wars 26-28
    Daredevil 14-16
    one third of the Incal (four issues)
    Total: 25

Overall total: 105

Overall total: 168

Invincible Iron Man 4
    Walking Dead 164
    Daredevil 17
    Super Sons 1
    Superman 17
    Old Man Logan 18
    Clone Conspiracy 5

Alpha Flight omnibus (45)

Total: 52

Grand total: 220

Thor by Simonson # 337-356 (20)
    Superman 18
    Clone Conspiracy Omega

Grand Total: 242

Wolverine and the X-Men omnibus (41)
    Action Comics 775

Grand Total: 284

Action Comics 776
    Detective 951-953
    Green Lantern Silver Age omnibus (Showcase 22-24, Green Lantern 1-16)
    Total: 23

Grand Total: 307

Guardians of the Galaxy by valentino (13 issues)
    Aquaman (1986) 1-4
    Aquaman 1988 one shot 1
    Legend of Aquaman one shot 1
    Aquaman (1989) 1-5)
    Atlantis Chronicles 1-7
    Aquaman (1991) 1-13
    Aquaman Time and Tide 1-4
    Aquaman 0, 1-75
    Aquaman 1,000,000
    Aquaman annuals 1-5
    Aquaman secret files (1998) 1
    Tempest 1-4

Total: 135

Grand Total: 442

Joe Hill Graphic Novel Collection HC (21)
    Walking Dead 165-166 (2)
    Infamous Iron Man 5 (1)
    Super Sons 2 (1)
    Superman 19 (1)
    Punisher War Journal vol. 1 tpb (8)
    Royal City 1
    Star Wars 30
    Total: 36

Grand Total: 478
    War of Kings Prelude Road to War of Kings omnibus (47)

Grand total: 525

Haven't updated in a while...

Punisher (Volume 2) #47-50: Okay, but not great action stories. It's rather evident how much Ennis surpassed his predecessors on the series.

Daredevil (Marvel Knights) #26-37: The first year of Bendis and Maleev's run is pretty interesting in how it develops various supporting characters, showing how circumstances beyond Daredevil's control (an attempt on the Kingpin by a new guy; an FBI agent who wants to earn more money than his girlfriend) can change his life, and force him into a very difficult situation.

Daredevil (Marvel Knights) #38-40: This fill-in arc is a really well told legal drama, set in a different time in Daredevil's life.

Power Up #1-6: An okay mini-series about a team of misfits, but the enemies and challenges aren't that interesting.

Marvel Two in One #51, 53-58: Fun, relatively inconsequential team-ups about a Ben Grimm who seems to just want to find poker buddies. It does have a great array of artists (Frank Miller, John Byrne, George Perez)

Fantastic Four (Heroes Reborn) #1-7: It's got some solid art by Jim Lee, and rather than being padded, crams a lot of the popular characters. The dynamic with the team is decent, and the hints that there's more behind the scenes make this appealing to fans of the earlier Fantastic Four.

Batman: Dark Victory #0, 1-13: A solid follow-up to the Long Halloween, one of the best batsagas ever. The mystery is okay, but this all has a strong arc for a Batman who realizes he doesn't have to be alone, and an excellent origin for one of the most controversial characters in comics (Robin.)

The Untold Legend of Batman #1-3: The mystery has a weird payoff, but this bronze age expository mini-series is worth checking out to see elements of the Batman comics that got chucked out in later generations (Bruce Wayne as the first Robin, Joe Chill's mother helping raise Bruce) and some nice art by Aparo.

And some graphic novels...

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon- It's an interesting take on a flawed younger Diana, and while it retcons the origin, it does so in a very satisfying way that gives the character a tremendous sense of pathos.

The Drifting Life- An excllent memoir by a manga great about his weird family life (he was competitive with his sickly older brother, his father sent him on errands to mistresses in order to break up with them) and the struggles as an artist involved in an early movement.

Rolling Blackouts- Solid exploration of the contemporary Middle East and the role of journalism in general, as the artist is embedded with reporters trying to make sense of the effects of the War on Terror.

Rosalie Lightning- Powerful memoir on loss and the greatest tragedy as the artist struggles with the aftermath of the death of his two year old daughter.

And some Spider-Man comics...

Amazing Spider-Man #193-200: The return of the Burglar saga is quite underrated due to the significance of the stories (the first appearance of the Black Cat, the rematch with Ben's killer, the return of Quentin Beck after over a decade, the Kingpin quitting) and the quality. Wolfman and company know what they're doing as they keep piling problems on Peter, and robbing him of traditional victories, in order to make the final lesson more meaningful. The smaller stories function well as individual arcs, but are really effective as parts of the larger story. This is similar in quality and effect to the Batman saga Strange Apparitions, but significantly more obscure

Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Monthly) #1-4
    : Nice art from Stegman. This is almost a team book, and Conway's method of showing the perspective of all three teammates works pretty well to highlight their characters, even if it is a bit redundant to see the same scene from multiple perspectives.

Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 4) #1-5: The first Parker Industries volume suffers from having a lot of set-up with limited payoff (in these issues at least), and some lame mostly nameless villains. Slott excels in a lot of the smaller moments (Spider-Man referring to his first encounter with the Fantastic Four when the Human Torch is caught in a similar trap, Peter is told by SHIELD that Spider-Man failed to save a bad guy and that they don't want to tell Spidey because it would hurt him too much, Mockingbird making an autotuned threat, etc) and provides character moments for new and old characters, while Camuncoli has a good sense of action. This is a different status quo, and the volume explores the effects of that, even if Parker being a household name is something that can backfire on Marvel.

Amazing Spider-Man: Hooky (Graphic Novel #12)
    - It's sometimes interesting to see Spider-Man out of his element, and he reacts appropriately to being caught in someone else's fantasy story. The art by Bernie Wrightson is really gorgeous as well, even if the story ends up being largely disposable.

Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2: Some of it might be padded, and indulgent, with sequences that aren't all that relevant to the plot (it's entirely believable that twenty pages were excised in order to reprint the story in an annual) but it is one of the greatest challenges the silver age Spider-Man ever faced, and it results in some of the best sequences in John Romita Sr's career (which makes it among the best Spider-Man art ever.)

Best of the Batch.....Daredevil #26-37. To be fair, I read most of the graphic novels for the first time. They were all quite good in different ways, and each is likely to hold up to multiple rereadings.

Total So Far: 359 Issues, 12 Graphic Novels
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Haven't updated in a while...

Punisher (Volume 2) #47-50: Okay, but not great action stories. It's rather evident how much Ennis surpassed his predecessors on the series.

Daredevil (Marvel Knights) #26-37: The first year of Bendis and Maleev's run is pretty interesting in how it develops various supporting characters, showing how circumstances beyond Daredevil's control (an attempt on the Kingpin by a new guy; an FBI agent who wants to earn more money than his girlfriend) can change his life, and force him into a very difficult situation.

Daredevil (Marvel Knights) #38-40: This fill-in arc is a really well told legal drama, set in a different time in Daredevil's life.

Power Up #1-6: An okay mini-series about a team of misfits, but the enemies and challenges aren't that interesting.

Marvel Two in One #51, 53-58: Fun, relatively inconsequential team-ups about a Ben Grimm who seems to just want to find poker buddies. It does have a great array of artists (Frank Miller, John Byrne, George Perez)

Fantastic Four (Heroes Reborn) #1-7: It's got some solid art by Jim Lee, and rather than being padded, crams a lot of the popular characters. The dynamic with the team is decent, and the hints that there's more behind the scenes make this appealing to fans of the earlier Fantastic Four.

Batman: Dark Victory #0, 1-13: A solid follow-up to the Long Halloween, one of the best batsagas ever. The mystery is okay, but this all has a strong arc for a Batman who realizes he doesn't have to be alone, and an excellent origin for one of the most controversial characters in comics (Robin.)

The Untold Legend of Batman #1-3: The mystery has a weird payoff, but this bronze age expository mini-series is worth checking out to see elements of the Batman comics that got chucked out in later generations (Bruce Wayne as the first Robin, Joe Chill's mother helping raise Bruce) and some nice art by Aparo.

And some graphic novels...

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon- It's an interesting take on a flawed younger Diana, and while it retcons the origin, it does so in a very satisfying way that gives the character a tremendous sense of pathos.

The Drifting Life- An excllent memoir by a manga great about his weird family life (he was competitive with his sickly older brother, his father sent him on errands to mistresses in order to break up with them) and the struggles as an artist involved in an early movement.

Rolling Blackouts- Solid exploration of the contemporary Middle East and the role of journalism in general, as the artist is embedded with reporters trying to make sense of the effects of the War on Terror.

Rosalie Lightning- Powerful memoir on loss and the greatest tragedy as the artist struggles with the aftermath of the death of his two year old daughter.

And some Spider-Man comics...

Amazing Spider-Man #193-200: The return of the Burglar saga is quite underrated due to the significance of the stories (the first appearance of the Black Cat, the rematch with Ben's killer, the return of Quentin Beck after over a decade, the Kingpin quitting) and the quality. Wolfman and company know what they're doing as they keep piling problems on Peter, and robbing him of traditional victories, in order to make the final lesson more meaningful. The smaller stories function well as individual arcs, but are really effective as parts of the larger story. This is similar in quality and effect to the Batman saga Strange Apparitions, but significantly more obscure

Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Monthly) #1-4
    : Nice art from Stegman. This is almost a team book, and Conway's method of showing the perspective of all three teammates works pretty well to highlight their characters, even if it is a bit redundant to see the same scene from multiple perspectives.

Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 4) #1-5: The first Parker Industries volume suffers from having a lot of set-up with limited payoff (in these issues at least), and some lame mostly nameless villains. Slott excels in a lot of the smaller moments (Spider-Man referring to his first encounter with the Fantastic Four when the Human Torch is caught in a similar trap, Peter is told by SHIELD that Spider-Man failed to save a bad guy and that they don't want to tell Spidey because it would hurt him too much, Mockingbird making an autotuned threat, etc) and provides character moments for new and old characters, while Camuncoli has a good sense of action. This is a different status quo, and the volume explores the effects of that, even if Parker being a household name is something that can backfire on Marvel.

Amazing Spider-Man: Hooky (Graphic Novel #12)
    - It's sometimes interesting to see Spider-Man out of his element, and he reacts appropriately to being caught in someone else's fantasy story. The art by Bernie Wrightson is really gorgeous as well, even if the story ends up being largely disposable.

Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2: Some of it might be padded, and indulgent, with sequences that aren't all that relevant to the plot (it's entirely believable that twenty pages were excised in order to reprint the story in an annual) but it is one of the greatest challenges the silver age Spider-Man ever faced, and it results in some of the best sequences in John Romita Sr's career (which makes it among the best Spider-Man art ever.)

Best of the Batch.....Daredevil #26-37. To be fair, I read most of the graphic novels for the first time. They were all quite good in different ways, and each is likely to hold up to multiple rereadings.

Total So Far: 359 Issues, 12 Graphic Novels
    Lot of old school stuff. Had you read this before or first time?