Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    iMan 42s

I've noticed that while it may not be something a lot of us wanted, we could be fine with a somewhat villainous Ben Reilly. The guy has gone through a lot (27 resurrections) and I could imagine this would affect how he would view something like death, or be a little unrestrained given his new resources if anybody was to die on his watch. What I've noticed though is that it's touchy up until he just goes along with killing everyone. He goes too far in his villainy as while he can revive someone, is he really going to revive everyone, or better yet what gives him the right to initiate this change in the first place?

I don't think this is what Ben Reilly fans would've been expecting, and it's obviously gotten mixed results so far but I'm going to have to agree with Mets, as I don't think is going to appeal as much to the existing fanbase as it's such a radical departure.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Maybe I'm just not following all this the way you are, but, why would Marvel bring back Ben Reilly only to make him a villain? Like, I really don't understand Marvel these days. Some of us (me!) have wanted Ben to come back as the Scarlet Spider for years and years. We finally get that, they even acknowledge how important his original threads are, but then they are gonna make the character entirely different?!!? I'm sorry, but, what sense does that make?

Like, if a classic American muslce car stopped being made. And then people clamored for it so the company decided, after many years, to produce more of that car. But when the car got off the assembly line it was announced that the car was 100% electric. Wouldn't that totally defeat the purpose of bring it "back?"

My one hope is that we currently live in an age of Marvel where Captain America "has always" been a Hydra Agent. So, I feel some creative writing could get Ben back to the side of the angels quicker than Ben can iron his blue hoodie =)

Unless I am entirely missing something, in which case I would love someone to explain it to me!
    I guess someone thought it would make a good story. Can't say I agree with the mindset, since it's crap like this that limits the types of comics I'll read, but there it is and it's up to up whether we'll spend money on it or not.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

My hope at this point is that Ben is a villain for the "first arc" and then we discover that something in his cloning process messed with his brain. Then Peter and/or Kaine fix whatever's wrong with Ben's brain and Ben becomes a hero and goes "I need to wear a hero's suit!" and that's why he ditches the weird new uniform and puts on his classic threads.

Are you listening, Marvel!??! This is your blueprint!! Don't eff it up!! =)
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    My hope at this point is that Ben is a villain for the "first arc" and then we discover that something in his cloning process messed with his brain. Then Peter and/or Kaine fix whatever's wrong with Ben's brain and Ben becomes a hero and goes "I need to wear a hero's suit!" and that's why he ditches the weird new uniform and puts on his classic threads.

Are you listening, Marvel!??! This is your blueprint!! Don't eff it up!! =)
    Considering Silk's tie-in mentioned that some of the "reanimates" were having "glitches" in their alleged revival process that caused them to act unusually violent, that could easily explain Ben's behavior in the last parts of The Clone Conspiracy. He's suffering from literal chemical imbalances in his brain that, combined with the psychological instability that would reasonably accrue from being killed and resurrected 27 times, have him acting irrationally and on his most violent and destructive impulses. Would explain why Peter David says Ben can be a hero or a villain depending on where his whims take him, which makes sense with the aforementioned context provided by Silk.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

"Im Mary Poppins Yall!" Aioros22's Avatar

That sounds perfect material for someone like PAD who loves getting into character`s brains.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

The Superior Octopus SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    That sounds perfect material for someone like PAD who loves getting into character`s brains.
    I suspect that any progress in Ben's mentality will come at Kaine's expense. The Weaver's prophecy of Kaine's "Last Chapter" and Ben's return to his original costume after his first arc leads me to believe Kaine will die, nudging Ben towards light side, so to speak...

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    I suspect that any progress in Ben's mentality will come at Kaine's expense. The Weaver's prophecy of Kaine's "Last Chapter" and Ben's return to his original costume after his first arc leads me to believe Kaine will die, nudging Ben towards light side, so to speak...
    Interesting. I wonder though if that will be a climatic moment for the series, because I can't picture the guy who last said to his 'brother' was "I am so not bringing you back" get emotional over losing said brother while still riding the villain/antihero bandwagon so hopefully he will be at least somewhat/status-quo Ben by that point.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Hi Scarlet Spider fans, did anyone notice this?
    From Marvel Twitter

Get ready for "Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider" #1 in this brand new first look! Pick up the comic at your local retailers April 26th.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderBen; 03-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

So retro Scarlet is Ben's Jimminy Cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yeah, it looks like the classic suit is taking the form of Ben-27's conscience or "good side" here, and will probably be more like classic Ben the current version is.

Makes me curious who the "devil" will be...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

With a jetpack to boot!! The new costume actually doesn't look to bad here.....I might check this series out of morbid curiosity.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it looks like the classic suit is taking the form of Ben-27's conscience or "good side" here, and will probably be more like classic Ben the current version is.

Makes me curious who the "devil" will be...
    According to interviews, his "devil" will be his Jackal persona.

I am so stoked to read this.

But I gotta ask: is anyone else bothered by the change in size relation between the Spider(s) and the Statue of Liberty?

-Pav, who is maybe seeing things...
    2017 Marvel Monthly Buys: America Ben Reilly: the Scarlet Spider Iron Fist Iron Fists Silver Surfer Spider-Gwen

Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

The costume looks better in action imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    According to interviews, his "devil" will be his Jackal persona.
    Interesting. lol