Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    I think overall we can chalk it up as a f!@# up. I don't really think that panel of the robins hanging there can really be considered "something we'll find out later". I get that it left that issue with a great cliffhanger but it never explains why they were hanging, why they had 'I AM Bane' painted on them. I mean I can rationalize and see it as something like Bruce doing that so Alfred and GG THOUGHT they were dead, but it still doesn't make sense in the long run, and doesn't connect well to the following issue where Bruce just brought them to the fortress of solitude.
    The bodies hanging in the cave were a message for Bats. A warning from Bane that he was coming for the boys. Presumably, the discovery is what led Bruce to take action and put them on ice, since, as we saw in the previous issue, they were intent to take the fight to Bane in spite of Bruce's warning. Bruce is easily smart enough to guess at that.

Of course, Bane just went after different members of Bruce's "family" instead. Which might actually be part of Bruce's plan, it's always hard to tell. It's sure convenient that Duke decided to rebel just in time to be captured for the big showdown.

Frankly, this is the best portrayal of Bane in a proper Batman book in a while. He comes across as both a serious physical threat, but also somebody who could potentially out-plan Batman. (Makes you wonder if last issue's warning was just so Bruce would take Nightwing, et al, off the board himself and leave himself vulnerable.) We'll see if the confrontation teased in this issue pays off half as well as the build up has.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    The bodies hanging in the cave were a message for Bats. A warning from Bane that he was coming for the boys. Presumably, the discovery is what led Bruce to take action and put them on ice, since, as we saw in the previous issue, they were intent to take the fight to Bane in spite of Bruce's warning. Bruce is easily smart enough to guess at that.

Of course, Bane just went after different members of Bruce's "family" instead. Which might actually be part of Bruce's plan, it's always hard to tell. It's sure convenient that Duke decided to rebel just in time to be captured for the big showdown.

Frankly, this is the best portrayal of Bane in a proper Batman book in a while. He comes across as both a serious physical threat, but also somebody who could potentially out-plan Batman. (Makes you wonder if last issue's warning was just so Bruce would take Nightwing, et al, off the board himself and leave himself vulnerable.) We'll see if the confrontation teased in this issue pays off half as well as the build up has.
    Now there's an interesting theory. Bane tosses a red herring, gets Batman worried about the Robins. While Bruce's attention is directed at the boys, Bane goes after his other allies.

PALADIN OF VOLTRON JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Now there's an interesting theory. Bane tosses a red herring, gets Batman worried about the Robins. While Bruce's attention is directed at the boys, Bane goes after his other allies.
    The old divide and conquer move. That's a smart move on Bane's part though I rather suspect the Robins will somehow break out before the final confrontation. Still it does leave Batman vulnerable. Man I'm really liking Bane here.

Aftershock Alters/Rough Riders
    DC: Action/BM/Batman Beyond/BoP/Blue Beetle/DoomPatrol/Flash/Gotham Academy/GLS/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Midnighter&Apollo/Mother Panic/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/SG/SM/Super Sons/TT/Trinity/Vigilante/Wild Storm
    Oni: Angel City
    Valiant: Britannia/Divinity/Faith/Harbringer Renegade/Immortal Brothers/Ninjak/ X-O Manowar
    Manga: Blue Exorcist/Devil's Line/My Hero Academia

Of course those weren't the real Robins hanging in the cave. Hanging from a rope from that height would instantly snap anyone's neck. It was a warning. I thought this was far and away King's best issue of Batman. He seems to have finally found his footing

This makes sense and is probably true, however as a writer, wouldn't you want to convey that message a little more clearly so 50% of the readers aren't confused?
    Pulling:
    Batman, All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, All-New Wolverine, Curse Words, Super Sons, God Country, Paper Girls, The Amazing Spider-Man

Waiting For:
    , X-Men Gold

My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Of course those weren't the real Robins hanging in the cave. Hanging from a rope from that height would instantly snap anyone's neck. It was a warning.
    A fast drop is required to snap a neck in a hanging. Doesn't matter how high up the person is or how long the rope is (in and of itself).
    Last edited by Caivu; Yesterday at 09:20 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Think that hawk/eagle (let's call him "Maurice" for now) now deserves an official place in Bats's rogues gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    This makes sense and is probably true, however as a writer, wouldn't you want to convey that message a little more clearly so 50% of the readers aren't confused?
    This. My biggest issue with Bane's supposed plan is why he's bothering with it in the first place. He can probably figure out that the Pirate is at Arkham, so... why not just storm the place and take him?

If he's capturing Batman's allies as a distraction, then why is he not capitalizing on that distraction? He's right beside that group on the roof at the end, rather than going after Hayden.
    Last edited by Caivu; Yesterday at 10:18 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    This. My biggest issue with Bane's supposed plan is why he's bothering with it in the first place. He can probably figure out that the Pirate is at Arkham, so... why not just storm the place and take him?

If he's capturing Batman's allies as a distraction, then why is he not capitalizing on that distraction? He's right beside that group on the roof at the end, rather than going after Hayden.
    You saw how personal it was for him at the end of his last arc when he was outright screaming for Venom. This is a grudge, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post

Because it isn't just about the Pirate. Batman came into his turf, stole from him, humiliated him, and needs to pay. Bane can go about getting the Pirate after he's finished destroying the Bat.

Kidnapping Batman's allies is in no way a distraction. He (maybe) head faked Bruce into taking his most capable allies off the table, and now he has leverage. Batman can't just fight Bane, he has to save the other four as well. It's about getting a leg up on his foe. It's also about hurting the man, not just they symbol. It's an announcement of how much he knows about Batman, and that he can get to these people any time he wants, even when Batman should have been at his most vigilant. This whole game has been one of psychological warfare, even right down to Bruce's invasion of Santa Prisca. It's about moving pieces around, so that when the physical confrontation comes, your side has already won. He took Bane off guard in Santa Prisca, and Selina's ruse sealed the win. But Bane has seemingly stripped Batman of all his allies this time. Meaning that the fight should be straight up Batman vs. Bane. Your mileage may vary, but I'm assuming from Bruce's actions that he believes that's not a great match-up for him. Not unwinnable, he's Batman. But not ideal.

It's just nice to see the thinking Bane back in action in a Batman comic. Not just the physical threat, which is usually focused on.

Because it isn't just about the Pirate. Batman came into his turf, stole from him, humiliated him, and needs to pay. Bane can go about getting the Pirate after he's finished destroying the Bat.

Kidnapping Batman's allies is in no way a distraction. He (maybe) head faked Bruce into taking his most capable allies off the table, and now he has leverage. Batman can't just fight Bane, he has to save the other four as well. It's about getting a leg up on his foe. It's also about hurting the man, not just they symbol. It's an announcement of how much he knows about Batman, and that he can get to these people any time he wants, even when Batman should have been at his most vigilant. This whole game has been one of psychological warfare, even right down to Bruce's invasion of Santa Prisca. It's about moving pieces around, so that when the physical confrontation comes, your side has already won. He took Bane off guard in Santa Prisca, and Selina's ruse sealed the win. But Bane has seemingly stripped Batman of all his allies this time. Meaning that the fight should be straight up Batman vs. Bane. Your mileage may vary, but I'm assuming from Bruce's actions that he believes that's not a great match-up for him. Not unwinnable, he's Batman. But not ideal.

It's just nice to see the thinking Bane back in action in a Batman comic. Not just the physical threat, which is usually focused on.
    Adding more to this, Catwoman and Bronze Tiger were part of Batman's team at Santa Prisca. Bane is punishing them as well as Batman. And taking Jim Gordon is a strategic move, as it keeps the Gotham PD from interfering. Duke wasn't an intended target, but he was there when they took Gordon.

I did like Bane's take on Arkham City's "explosive bat-gel" mechanic.