Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Is it just me but since Snyder hasn't the issues been really short??
    I got that impression too! Snyder panels took more time to read and apreciate than King's and there was more to read (and lots of endless monologues...). This issue seems to me more transitional than #16, more like a part of a big story than anything. In trade this run probably will read better, like Omega Men.
    Bane is a monster here, a hardcore guy in despair, I doubt any of the Robins could win in this case (buuut Superman... haha).

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Just to pinpoint one part of you post: They aren't secondaries when they're in their own respective books. They are 100% secondary characters in the Batman title, proper. And "core fan bases" means nothing, to me. That's a big part of the problem, actually. It goes along with my statement about everyone ALWAYS wanting their favorite character to win or have a good showing. It's not always gonna happen, and it shouldn't always happen.
    It`s a 50/2 catch. They would be, but they are too popular in Batman`s own mythology for people to just accept them in that role and fold (but I also have to accept that perhaps they`re not in this story and that maybe is what King is invested in). This is why I mention that writers usually have to juggle their vision with what characters can do, even from other titles. It`s calling throwing a bone and some people will responde negatively to it.

In this industry it tends to be smart money to also count the continuity bible marks and battle board nuts (hey, CBR got one) among your readership. While I believe King will eventually show how they got captured, I`m not calling him a bad writer if he doesn`t, regardless of others willingness of it, but everyone is in their right.

Anyhow, the day of the kid (read battle board nut) who bought a copy and argueed with friends over who is favourite took a backseat to a more wider audience so in the end, maybe it doesn`t matter.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I definitely agree. King has even said as much in interviews when talking about the 237 murders. He was well aware that isn't how Selina operates, and wanted us to be in the same disbelief and shock as Batman would be. Like you said; contrary to the peanut gallery "King is a smart fella".
    I have to agree with you especially with regard to the bolded bit there. I think he oftentimes puts the reader in the same position as the characters so that we feel the same emotions that they do. I believe he wants us to see things from their perspectives instead of the reader being an outside observer. In other words he wanted us to be shocked about 237 kills on the part of Selina and he likely wants us to feel angry and maybe unhappy with what happened to the boys here because underneath it all Batman is likely angry and upset about it.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 02-16-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Current Top 15 Titles:Accell/Super Sons/Red Hood and the Outlaws/Incidentals/New Super-Man/Superb/Green Lanterns/Noble/Black Lightning/My Hero Academia/Ninjak/Monstress/Gotham City Garage/Alters

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

BANNED

*sigh* I want to like this Batman run, I really do.

Not a satisfying issue. I liked the payoff with Catwoman and her serial killer story, so I'll give King a pass with how he's treating the Robins. Maybe he'll pay off again. But he could at least write an interesting series until then, I really don't like how he handled anything this week. Except Bird, I liked seeing him. Im already sick of Gotham Girl and Psycho Pirate, too bad. I was excited about a Batman book focusing on new/obscure characters. Come on, King. You're better than this.

I know I'm beating a dead horse but it's becoming increasingly clear that King has no idea what to do with Duke. "I'm not disobeying Batman! Actually, yes! I am disobeying Batman!" Unless he's meant to be bipolar his characterization makes zero sense.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    I got that impression too! Snyder panels took more time to read and appreciate than King's and there was more to read (and lots of endless monologues...). This issue seems to me more transitional than #16, more like a part of a big story than anything. In trade this run probably will read better, like Omega Men.
    That's one big clear difference between Snyder & King, how much they try to pack into each page. But King kinda gave us a heads up on before the run by kinda saying something like he likes to tell Batman stories using action more than text/dialogue. I think, in a way, he's definitely kinda writing more for the trade, but not necessarily intending to, but that's how it will appear to us when it's just his philosophy on Batman moreso.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

You know how come Bane went to the effort of finding and dressing Selina in her costume but left Bronze Tiger in his boxers?

Ahem, that I can understand.

It`s an iconic costume.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    You know how come Bane went to the effort of finding and dressing Selina in her costume but left Bronze Tiger in his boxers?
    I think it's possibly more a case of weird comic book logic.

Like how at the start of the Victim Syndicate in 'Tec, the heroes are all in party-wear for the gala, then out of nowhere they're all in their vigilante costumes. When and how did they have the time to change in the middle of a surprise attack? Did they all race home, then race back, or do they keep stashes of their gear everywhere they go...without it looking suspicious that they carry around a change of clothes everywhere they go.

Probably the same non-logic.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Interesting to see everyone who mentioned Pirate think he was talking about the Multiverse. I thought he was just speaking metaphorically. How our worlds (situations, priorities) change and how we change w/ it. How fluid and unpredictable life can be.

Did I miss something about his power set???
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Interesting to see everyone who mentioned Pirate think he was talking about the Multiverse. I thought he was just speaking metaphorically. How our worlds (situations, priorities) change and how we change w/ it. How fluid and unpredictable life can be.

Did I miss something about his power set???
    King has said in multiple interviews that Pirate remembers everything. As in, all the way back to CoIE at least.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    King has said in multiple interviews that Pirate remembers everything. As in, all the way back to CoIE at least.
    That is something that was established during Morrison's Animal Man run.

ugh...this issue. and after such a fun issue before it. Alfred with a gun...the notion that the Robins could be taken out so easily, and somehow NOT die from being hung and somehow Batman thinking flying these dying(?) Robins to the top of the world and then freezing them seems in any way logical boggles my mind. A shotgun blast to the stomach apparently is akin to a paper cut in Gotham.

There's some clever ideas here and there, and the art on this book is fantastic, but someone, yknow, like an editor really needs to reign in King on some of his plot holes

*sigh* I think I'm giving up on getting the biweekly Batman floppies and just waiting until these are collected in trade.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Alfred has no problem with firearms. He's defended the Batcave with a shotgun on a few occasions.

The only real issue is whether he'd use a firearm in anything other than self-defense. An important clue, I think, is Alfred going on and on about performances just before threatening Psycho Pirate.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Ahh, I see, thanks. Did King expand on how/why? Or is that something to be revealed later hopefully? Is King taking the Morrisonian approach of "everything is in continuity" or has Pyscho shown this before besides...

Quote Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
    That is something that was established during Morrison's Animal Man run.
    Since that's an out of continuity, 4th-wall breaking story?

Edit:
    Ok, read his interview w/ DC's website. Looks like he is factoring in all history. I can dig it.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 02-17-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: posting on phone ftl
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008