Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default why is cyborg the black superhero DC Wants to push the most?

i dunno why but he just seems so damn boring and only suitable in team books or team television shows as soon as you give him his own comic book series or tv show

that's when you start seeing how uninteresting he is by himself...so why is he the one getting pushed instead of any other black superhero with more of a personality than just Sad Robot Man Who wishes he was more human blah blah blah

Cyborg's an original black character. Duke Thomas and John Stewart are both people taking on an identity also held by whites. That's my guess. It's the job of the writer to make the character interesting and Vic certainly can be. The combination of tech and humanity as well as the increase in technology used today provides a lot of possibility. If the character's underperforming, I'd blame the creative teams, not the character.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Cyborg's an original black character. Duke Thomas and John Stewart are both people taking on an identity also held by whites. That's my guess. It's the job of the writer to make the character interesting and Vic certainly can be. The combination of tech and humanity as well as the increase in technology used today provides a lot of possibility. If the character's underperforming, I'd blame the creative teams, not the character.
    DC has other original black characters with more going for them like Black Lightning and Vixen. Personally I think DC should make Stewart their main Lantern as Hal isn't interesting and he's a low rent Guy Garner these days.

Simple, Vic Stone is an African-American superhero who is 1) completely original and not carrying a legacy mantle and 2) tech based, which if done properly can truly resonate nowadays. The problem is DC doesn't seem to be as invested in him as they are in the other "main" JL characters.

They should push Vixen more as she has a lot more going for her and with Marvel not having the film/tv rights to Storm and thus not having an impetus to let her be omnipresent like she was in the 90's, the position of most popular black superheroine is kinda up for grabs.

Yes, I think with the right creative teams and directions, Vixen might actually beat out Storm in terms of popularity. Right now Mari is on the right track with Orlando and JLA.

Incredible Member Uncanny Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    They should push Vixen more as she has a lot more going for her and with Marvel not having the film/tv rights to Storm and thus not having an impetus to let her be omnipresent like she was in the 90's, the position of most popular black superheroine is kinda up for grabs.
    This. Forget Cyborg getting a push because of the tech angle. If anything, the tech angle just makes him even more boring, since technology is so advanced and commonplace these days that it really doesn't "wow" people the way it did 20 or 30 years ago (or even 10). It's almost like the gadgets in James Bond movies. They used to be a highlight of the series back in the day, but once real life technology finally caught up with most of what Q was creating for Bond in the movies, the gadgets became tired, hokey, and underwhelming. That's kinda how Cyborg's tech angle comes off to a tech savvy generation these days, as opposed to back when he was first created almost 40 years ago, especially next to a team full of god-like characters with cool, flashy, exciting super powers.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 02-16-2017 at 11:33 AM.

BANNED

Because they wanted Hal there instead of John

- Because Black Lightning involves his creators getting a cut and credit (and approval?) from DC, so they don't push him.

- Because John Stewart definitively over Hal Jordan would cause a civil war and utterly divide the GL fanbase to point of hurting the overall brand's sales.

- Because Static may or may not have some Milestone baggage (also, similar to Black Lightning)

- Because Steel still has the stink of Shaq on him, even 20 years later

- Because Vixen is a non-derivative woman (unlike Harley Quinn), and DC has barely done a passable job with its only other non-derivative female : Wonder Woman

So, Cyborg it is. And he is hilarious on TEEN TITANS GO.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 02-15-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Because Cyborg is a cool character, they just dont know how to write him properly for the most part sadly.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I'll add to the other points above:

1. He's had the most pop culture crossover, which reaches back over 30 years, being in both Superfriends and Teen Titans, and had a Super Powers action figure alongside Plastic Man, Captain Marvel, Mister Miracle and Dr. Fate. This puts him in both nostalgia and pop familiarity categories.
    2. He was a founding member of the most successful team title DC had in the '80s.
    3. Johns is obviously a fan of the last season of Superfriends, that included not only Cyborg but also a full season of them fighting Darkseid.
    "The definition of all ages is itís not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Camelot 3000, Dreadstar, Omega Men

Astonishing Member

I have no problem with them pushing Cyborg, but they're going about it all wrong. The majority of the general public still recognizes Cyborg from the Teen Titans animated show and that is where he was probably the most beloved. So they're strategy to push him is to....sever all those ties to the franchise from which people know him? Yeah, I might not be a businessman, but even I could tell you that's a bad strategy.

Cyborg joining the League wasn't a bad move. Cyborg being made into a founding member of the League who wasn't even a hero until the League was formed was a bad move. DC should have done what they did with the JLI after Crisis: they didn't say it was the first League ever formed, but simply a new iteration of the League, which has been around for years. It would have been infinitely better if they had said that the League was simply forming a new roster, and Cyborg (the guy who was a member of the Titans) was forming it it alongside traditional JLAers (who themselves had been members of Leagues past). Hell, even the animated Justice League: Doom is a better "Cyborg joining the League" story than how Cyborg actually joined the League in the comics. But anyway, Wonder Woman Annual #1 seems to suggest that DC is straight up forgetting Justice League: Origin is even canon, so hopefully Cyborg gets his Titans days back soon.
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 02-15-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie

Ultimate Member

Because he is the most popular one they have.

Incredible Member

Mr. Terrific has more to offer in the tech realm IMO.

BANNED

Just once I would like an OP to come back and say "Oh, I get it now. Thanks everyone!"

Sometimes I think complaints are put into the form of a question, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Just once I would like an OP to come back and say "Oh, I get it now. Thanks everyone!"

Sometimes I think complaints are put into the form of a question, LOL.
    I blame Art Fleming.