Super Moderator

Default ROLL CALL: Heroes Ready for Comic Book Greatness

CBR runs down our list of heroes - and villains - we feel are ready to step into the comic book spotlight with their own ongoing series.

Full article here.

I am not aware that the Legion will be in Futures' End, and the link you provide doesn't say anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I am not aware that the Legion will be in Futures' End, and the link you provide doesn't say anything about them.
    The "Legion Lost" crew is in it, I believe.

My two comments on the article:

1) I think in order for the Legion to work these days there needs to be a smaller main team (perhaps 10 - 12 'main' characters), with flashbacks to the team's founding. This way we don't get yet another retelling of old stories featuring just the early team. Or perhaps two books, "Legion of Super-Heroes" for the current team, and "Tales of the Legion" for flashbacks, solo/duo/trio missions, and other miscellaneous stories that would enhance the main book. Yeah, I am a dreamer!

2) I would kill for an "Indiana Jones" book drawn by Phil Noto!
    Top 6 Books Lately: All-New X-Men, Black Science, Aquaman, Five Ghosts, Star Wars, Starlight
    Top 6 Legionnaires: Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Polar Boy, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy
    Top 6 X-Men: Cyclops, Iceman, Colossus, Cannonball, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    CBR runs down our list of heroes - and villains - we feel are ready to step into the comic book spotlight with their own ongoing series.

Full article here.
    At first glance, I thought this meant "our list of individual characters who are ready to star in their very own solo titles." Then I followed the link and saw that the actual list included such team concepts as "Legion of Super-Heroes" and "JSA." Not exactly a huge eye-opener to see it suggested that those large and famous groups could carry monthly titles if they were well-written . . . after all, they've certainly done it before!

Good point on Big Hero Six - now's an obvious time to tee up a new series

a monthly comic introducing Melinda May, Jemma Simmons and Leo Fitz to the world of Marvel publishing
    Skye see who you left out there.

please no agents of Shield... Secret Avengers hasn't been very successful and Caulson is not a good comic book character, it's ok in TV
    and please no more Legion! last run was awfully awful...
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Defender of the North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenozoic View Post
    The "Legion Lost" crew is in it, I believe.
    The weekly involves time travel. Booster Gold's one-shot in the middle involves time-lost characters affected by it. That's your hint the Legion Lost will be there — ironically, though, as that they are from Earth-2, which is about to be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenozoic View Post
    I think in order for the Legion to work these days there needs to be a smaller main team (perhaps 10 - 12 'main' characters), with flashbacks to the team's founding. This way we don't get yet another retelling of old stories featuring just the early team. Or perhaps two books, "Legion of Super-Heroes" for the current team, and "Tales of the Legion" for flashbacks, solo/duo/trio missions, and other miscellaneous stories that would enhance the main book. Yeah, I am a dreamer!
    For me, the ideal way to get Legion back again is to follow up on the hint left in Teen Titans and have a Superboy arrive in the 31st century, shortly after the team has formed with its key members Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy, Chameleon Boy, Ultra Boy, Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl, Bouncing Boy and Brainiac 5. Call it Superboy & The Legion Of Super-Heroes and let that run for a year uninterrupted by events (other than September gimmick). Then, at the end of the year, have a story in which the Legion must recruit more members (Sun Boy, Invisible Kid, Dawnstar, etc.), forcing the book to split between Legion Of Super-Heroes (the big team book) and Legion (the smaller strike team book).
    Want my opinions on DC Comics? Visit my blog at: http://bfromc.wordpress.com

Defender of the North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Looking at the other DC suggestions…
    Blue Beetle & Booster Gold assumes the same characters still exist from past continuity and they don't; Ted Kord is not Blue Beetle
    • One of the key problems with Justice Society is the separation of heroes past and present, which is why New 52 has no place for JSA
    Cyborg's lead is just as described: featured in team situations where there are other heroes — he has no backstory of his own worth exploring

But Shazam is reserved for Geoff Johns but a good idea for a solo series.

Sadly, this article also missed out on these key solo series DC can offer:
    Zatanna, in which Zee needs to deal with her father's legacy — on her own
    Black Canary, in which Dinah takes some time from the Birds and ends up wetwork of her own

Or seeing these returns:
    Amethyst, no longer a split book and dealing with intrigue much more
    Blue Beetle, with Jaime back on Earth, with his family… and meeting the other teen heroes
    Grifter, with Cole Cash going after Daemonites after finding out a big plot
    Firestorm, with a more mature balance between the two after "Forever Evil"
    Jonah Hex, since All-Star Western was really about him
    Unknown Soldier, focusing on the espionage angle without crummy backups
    Want my opinions on DC Comics? Visit my blog at: http://bfromc.wordpress.com

I would not be opposed to inserting Indiana Jones into the Marvel Universe for an on-going (set in Indy's time period, of course). I think Marvel would be wise to leverage some more Disney-owned properties. I like what they've done with Figment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    Grifter, with Cole Cash going after Daemonites after finding out a big plot
    Or maybe a WildC.A.T.s book with Grifter? A good creative team could ignite those characters.

The Once and Future King ExcelsiorPrime's Avatar

Hmm Nice article..If DC Warner put as much cash and prelim into a live action Teen Titans Movie or Computer Animated feature as they have done Justice League..they would have a nice potential franchise to fund various DC endeavors.

But i will admit doing a teen super-hero movie well is easier said than done.
    My webcomic Updated Weekly
    Twitter
    Blog

Mystique, I could agree with. The rest, I don't know enough to determine.

A new Legion of Super-heroes series would be pretty cool, but I don't know if something bright and fun like that could work in the current DCU.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman