Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 181 to 194 of 194
  1. #181
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Has it been said what issue this is ending with? It's been my understanding that Mignola is wrapping things up here and moving on from the Hellboy universe.

    I'm relatively new to Hellboy, reading through the Library editions for the first time and getting close to the end, and was hoping I could jump into current BPRD once I finish (Plague of Frogs seems to either be out of print or in between printings and Hell on Earth only just started HC collections, which would be my preferred format) and it would be a bummer to see the series end right away.

  2. #182
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    177

    Default

    I know that t has been said it would be about half as long as the previous arcs, which at a guess would be 6 trades/30 issues. This would fit nicely into two Omnibus editions too. If you view the first 5 issues as act 1 of this final arc (up to the spoilery reveal) that would make some sense.

    I do think The Devil You Know is going to be a really strange exercise compared to the previous arcs. Both Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth had a lot of individual stories that formed the greater whole. So far, The Devil You Know has really been one continuous story.

  3. #183
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Good to know, I was worried it'd be ending at issue 10 or something :P

  4. #184
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I was rereading issue 7 and a Agent comes over to talk to hellboy and Liz. He says his name is Morrow and talks about a mission he went on with Hellboy to Katamai and then it hit me. He is from the short story by Rio Youers called The Promised Smile that is in, Hellboy - An Assortment of Horrors book.

    This is what makes the hellboyverse so awesome, all the interconnected stuff that happens and adds to the story for longtime fan while not being slowing the current story.

  5. #185
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breen2057 View Post
    I was rereading issue 7 and a Agent comes over to talk to hellboy and Liz. He says his name is Morrow and talks about a mission he went on with Hellboy to Katamai and then it hit me. He is from the short story by Rio Youers called The Promised Smile that is in, Hellboy - An Assortment of Horrors book.

    This is what makes the hellboyverse so awesome, all the interconnected stuff that happens and adds to the story for longtime fan while not being slowing the current story.
    Yeah, I loved that little nod. That's my favourite story from that book, and now it's canon.

  6. #186
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Surprised nobody has had anything to say about this one. (I've been swamped, personally until today)

    There was two things I thought would get people talking... (including one thing the Mignolaversity didn't address to my recollection.)

  7. #187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Surprised nobody has had anything to say about this one. (I've been swamped, personally until today)

    There was two things I thought would get people talking... (including one thing the Mignolaversity didn't address to my recollection.)
    I've found with B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know, each issue is so densely packed there's always more to say than can reasonably fit in a review. That's been the case with #6, 7, and 8 for sure.

  8. #188
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Oh, that was not a criticism. You're always slightly ahead of us, so... I'm just surprised no one on here had anything to say about a certain thing. Or two.

  9. #189
    Fantastic Member topfueluhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Oh, that was not a criticism. You're always slightly ahead of us, so... I'm just surprised no one on here had anything to say about a certain thing. Or two.
    What are the things you are referring to? I want to know if I missed something.

  10. #190
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Kronen's death was surprisingly uneventful, not really sure how to feel about that. Devon continues to be a huge dick, hard to believe he was ever likable at this point, I really hope they do an issue or something that re-humanizes him a bit because he's pretty much without redeemable qualities now. Something like Arcudi's Grind would be nice.

    I liked the panel of Hellboy, Liz, and Abe posing, finally together again.

  11. #191
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,733

    Default

    Outside of that one panel, I did not like this issue. I followed the overall plot, but the dialog was so obscure, I couldn't follow who was talking to who and what they were talking about at times. People arguing in half sentences.
    At least they figured out it's Varvara and they are going to New York..
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  12. #192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Outside of that one panel, I did not like this issue. I followed the overall plot, but the dialog was so obscure, I couldn't follow who was talking to who and what they were talking about at times. People arguing in half sentences.
    At least they figured out it's Varvara and they are going to New York..
    Fair points. I struggled with this issue too at first, then I read it again and had a remarkably different and better experience. I'm not sure why, but the first read was tough, beginning with page one. Overall, I came away thinking the storytelling for this particular title has matured in a way that's less commercial or accessible, which I don't hate. Maybe it's that the story is more complex than ever...anyway I loved it in the end.

    Edit: I actually like some of my comics to be "commercial or accessible." Didn't mean for that to sound snarky.
    Last edited by Matt Strackbein; 07-17-2018 at 10:41 AM.

  13. #193
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Strackbein View Post
    Fair points. I struggled with this issue too at first, then I read it again and had a remarkably different and better experience. I'm not sure why, but the first read was tough, beginning with page one. Overall, I came away thinking the storytelling for this particular title has matured in a way that's less commercial or accessible, which I don't hate. Maybe it's that the story is more complex than ever...anyway I loved it in the end.

    Edit: I actually like some of my comics to be "commercial or accessible." Didn't mean for that to sound snarky.

    Which is why I like writers like Neal Gaiman and Alan Moore, they do both complex and accessible at the same time. Some writers think inaccessible is the same as complex. it is not. I think that is the flaw here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  14. #194
    The Claw of Justice!
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Which is why I like writers like Neal Gaiman and Alan Moore, they do both complex and accessible at the same time. Some writers think inaccessible is the same as complex. it is not. I think that is the flaw here.
    John Arcudi is perhaps my favorite writer for that reason. There's so much going on throughout his BPRD run but it's very easy to pick up almost any issue and get sucked in.

    For what it's worth, I enjoyed this issue. Devil You Know is not as good as the first two cycles, yeah, but very few things are. The dialogue is inelegant at times, but I'm enjoying the story and I'm excited to see where it goes.

    My favorite moment was the panel where Leonid realizes who was in Carla's dream. And then Leonid sticking up for Iosif was great as well. I miss Iosif.

    Kroenen's death was a big surprise. Some friend Von Klempt was!

    I'm curious about the two things Joker noticed too.
    "...puppets are scary, and puppets do things when people are sleeping, and they run around and get their own ideas about things." - Mike Mignola

    "…if you’ve been damaged, if you’ve been made lesser, if you’ve been reduced, and you’re still trying to do the right thing… that’s a #$%@ing hero." -John Arcudi

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •