Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Captain America, #22

In "Captain America" #22, writer Rick Remender sidelines Steve Rogers and busts open a portal to Dimension Z, while Carlos Pacheco draws the heck out of it all.

Full review here.

I've really been enjoying Remender's run on Cap, and am quite looking forward to seeing how he approaches the Cap-replacement arc. Obviously having someone pick up the shield is nothing new (we're only a couple of years removed since that last happened), but Steve's current status quo is something we've never (if memory serves) seen while someone else is running around as Cap. By that I don't mean simply depowered, I mean fully aged. That's obviously gotta present several more dificulties to Steve than simply being in his anemic youth body. Plus, it plays to the fact that Steve has lived for quite a long time now (the recession, WWII, current day, those fourteen years in Dimension Z), and the weariness that comes from fighting for all that time is now going to show on his body.

Looking forward to seeing where Cap goes from here!

To my understanding it was being frozen that kept him from aging and the super soldier serum that allowed him to survive being frozen. I don't understand why he would age. He shouldn't even get puny either. He's actually exercised since taking the serum so why would all muscle mass just disappear? Wolverine doesn't age or lose muscle mass when his healing factor goes bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator7117 View Post
    To my understanding it was being frozen that kept him from aging and the super soldier serum that allowed him to survive being frozen. I don't understand why he would age. He shouldn't even get puny either. He's actually exercised since taking the serum so why would all muscle mass just disappear? Wolverine doesn't age or lose muscle mass when his healing factor goes bye bye.
    I would say that it was Iron Nail's attack what aged Rogers and made him lose muscle mass. His Super Soldier Serum burned out fighting off Iron Nail's powers, and that's why Steve is alive at all, but it couldn't neutralize it all, and that's why Caps aged and shrivelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator7117 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I would say that it was Iron Nail's attack what aged Rogers and made him lose muscle mass. His Super Soldier Serum burned out fighting off Iron Nail's powers, and that's why Steve is alive at all, but it couldn't neutralize it all, and that's why Caps aged and shrivelled.
    It was shown in the Dimension Z arc that the SSS keeps Cap from aging (or at least extremely slowly). When he got back from Dimension Z they carbon dated his clothes and they were 12 years older he himself hadn't aged a day. So it's safe to say that if he didn't have any SSS then he progressively age to his natural age.

The big question(at least to me) is, it's been stated before that Cap can't lose (at least permanently) the SSS, it's in his DNA, so if he were to be drained of it completely, his body would (and has) replenished it.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

I hope that ___________ gets to be Cap for a good while and holds it together until Steve is revived to his full virility (in time for Avengers 2?)

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    The big question(at least to me) is, it's been stated before that Cap can't lose (at least permanently) the SSS, it's in his DNA, so if he were to be drained of it completely, his body would (and has) replenished it.
    Retconned, I guess. It shouldn't come as a surprise, really, they have retconned much more important stuff.

Anyway, I understand why they have retconned the Super Soldier Serum being a virus/prion. If it's a virus/prion, anybody who got hold of Caps for long enough to take a blood sample could infect somebody else, and then use that other person's blood to infect a whole army.

I'm not sure I'm buying this SSS prevents him from aging stuff. It wasn't that long ago during House of M where we saw that, yes he did age. I'm not aware of anything that would have changed that.

Default Steve Rogers is Captain America

It's fine to have the storyline where he was killed and Bucky pretended to be Cap til the real one was brought back to "life". But when Steve Rogers can no longer be Captain America, it's time to end the character as well. No one but Clark Kent can be Superman. No one but Bruce Wayne can be Batman. No one but Perter Parker can be Spider Man. If you want new superheros, dream up new superheros. But don't **** up the old, classic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I'm not sure I'm buying this SSS prevents him from aging stuff. It wasn't that long ago during House of M where we saw that, yes he did age. I'm not aware of anything that would have changed that.
    In House of M, Scarlet Witch altered reality, IIRC. In Castaway in Dimension Z, both Banner and Pym ran tests on Steve and his clothes and proved that he had, in fact, been gone for twelve years and he hadn't physically aged. Yes time moved faster in Dimension Z, but aging is aging, it wouldn't effect just Steve's uniform and not he himself. So it seems most likely that the SSS slows or completely stops Caps aging. It was also a plot point in the mini-series Captain America: Hail HYDRA, a HYDRA scientist even mentions that Cap doesn't age.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mpzz View Post
    It's fine to have the storyline where he was killed and Bucky pretended to be Cap til the real one was brought back to "life". But when Steve Rogers can no longer be Captain America, it's time to end the character as well. No one but Clark Kent can be Superman. No one but Bruce Wayne can be Batman. No one but Perter Parker can be Spider Man. If you want new superheros, dream up new superheros. But don't **** up the old, classic ones.
    Psst! I'll let you in on a secret...they'll actually figure out a way to make Steve Cap again eventually. It's called "fiction" so they can do things like that.

I'm actually looking forward to a long stretch of Steve being unable to be in the trenches, so to speak. It should give an interesting perspective on how he handles being sidelined for an extended time. And, from his outlook, perhaps forever.

Marvel has succeeded, in making me completely disinterested in Cap, at this point. And that's a tough thing to do, since he was previously one of my favorite characters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    I've really been enjoying Remender's run on Cap, and am quite looking forward to seeing how he approaches the Cap-replacement arc. Obviously having someone pick up the shield is nothing new (we're only a couple of years removed since that last happened), but Steve's current status quo is something we've never (if memory serves) seen while someone else is running around as Cap. By that I don't mean simply depowered, I mean fully aged. That's obviously gotta present several more dificulties to Steve than simply being in his anemic youth body. Plus, it plays to the fact that Steve has lived for quite a long time now (the recession, WWII, current day, those fourteen years in Dimension Z), and the weariness that comes from fighting for all that time is now going to show on his body.

Looking forward to seeing where Cap goes from here!

No, Steve lost the Super Serum before and was aged by the Red Skull. I dropped reading a monthly Captain America book because I did not find the Dimension Z story to be to my liking - don't get me wrong, I appreciated the different direction attempt but the decades in Dimension Z were badly handled - we saw nothing except glimpses of his time there - which was a fail in my view - and I dropped the book. When Cap returned from Dimension Z I checked out the book and saw a scene were Steve is burning his memorabilia - that struck me as uncharacteristic - why would not Steve donate it to a museum? Sell it at auction to benefit veterans? Burn it to show some sort of metaphorical burning away of the past? No thank you - make shit up with no regards to character's personality on someone elses time not mine. So I have not picked up the book since. Now I hear Steve loses the Super Serum and is de-aged - see Captain America #300.

So sadly for the first time in almost 40 years I am not reading a Captain America comic book.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 07-16-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    Marvel has succeeded, in making me completely disinterested in Cap, at this point. And that's a tough thing to do, since he was previously one of my favorite characters.
    Thanks to Marvel I dropped Cap as a monthly read for the first time in almost 40 years and it is not because I am an old fan upset at change - I just am bored with the storyline, feel the writer does not get the personality of Captain America and lastly, with a de-serumed Cap, it is now repetitive. I am all for new Captain Americas and I liked the idea of Commander Steve Rogers, agent of SHIELD, etc. so I may pick up Sam Wilson being Cap.

In my opinion Captain America and Falcon was the greatest team book ever produced.