Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

I'd say Bendis for AvX and the lasting damage it caused, for the O5, for making Kitty and Jean obnoxious brats, for Iceman being outed as "full gay" by aforementioned obnoxious brat, for the complete waste of time that was Cyclops' so-called revolution, for pushing pointless, repetitive, unfunny dialogues (aka Bendispeak) to new levels...

Soule hasn't really had a run yet but if his Astonishing X-men is anything like the inconsistent pile of garbage that was IvX, he's a serious contender.

Quote Originally Posted by 244 View Post
    I'd like to believe it's editorial mandate that happened and not solely on Soule.
    Making Emma a villain might have been editorially mandated (more likely it was his idea for his upcoming book) but the way he did it, the trolling with Medusa, the discrepancies within his own stories, the giant plot holes (like how could Beast's findings not be mentioned even once during all these confrontations or when the Inhumans were held prisoners?)... he is entirely to blame for that.

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It was like the one decent, well-written part of his run.
    You know not of what you speak.

It's not even subjective. What he did to The Juggernaut was a series of unfortunate retcons that thankfully have gone away. De-retconned?

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    Soule hasn't really had a run yet but if his Astonishing X-men is anything like the inconsistent pile of garbage that was IvX, he's a serious contender.
    Does Wolverines and Death of Wolverine count?
    "Mother! I would speak to thee of visions. Visions of cosmic war at the dawn of time!"

In recent times, I'd have to say Bendis. I hate pretty much everything he did with the X-men.

Wood (mind-numbingly boring), Bendis (slow burn that did not lead anywhere), and Humphries (simply terrible) being on the X-books at the same time almost killed my love for the X-Men. It was a chore to read through them and in the end I dropped almost all my subs.

Also, not a fan of both Nicienza (or however that's spelled) and Lobdell.
    Balthier: I doubt we'll find her wanting in valor, being such an upstanding member of the insurgence.
    Ashe: Resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    In recent times, I'd have to say Bendis. I hate pretty much everything he did with the X-men.
    The alleged revolution i remember that
    "Mother! I would speak to thee of visions. Visions of cosmic war at the dawn of time!"

Quote Originally Posted by 244 View Post
    I'd like to believe it's editorial mandate that happened and not solely on Soule.
    I'm not trying to make excuses for what Soule did. Yet either either it was editorial mandate. Or Soule himself. If it's the second option he really does not know what the fans want let alone understand what they want. Anyone paying attention could have seen this was going to cause a reaction. Not for the better. Yes characters change. Not when it involves throwing out years of character development with a reason that makes no sense imo. Her students are murdered and die in horribly ways. Yet her boyfriend is murdered and that's all it takes to go to the dark side.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Surprised to see so many negative comments on Bendis's run. I've started reading it and I'm enjoying it so far.

The biggest issue with Bendis' run (outside of the usual Bendis-isms) was that he advertised for something he never delivered. Funnily enough, that tends to tick some folks off.

Rookie Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Surprised to see so many negative comments on Bendis's run. I've started reading it and I'm enjoying it so far.
    I recently read through all of his UXM and ANXM. It definitely had the standard Bendisisms which bothers me, but it mostly wasn't THAT bad. Honestly, I'm surprised by how much I liked it, or not hate it, can't decide which. UXM in particular stagnated badly though. I'm not a huge fan of the O5 either, but he honestly nails the characters. They feel and act the way the early period X-Men did and through a lot of Claremont's X-Men. Teen Jean is the one who acts the most different imo. It's almost weird seeing a boy scout Cyclops again after so long.

Fraction, Brubaker and Lobdell are way worse than Bendis imo. Never read Austen, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by EcoBatman View Post
    I recently read through all of his UXM and ANXM. It definitely had the standard Bendisisms which bothers me, but it mostly wasn't THAT bad. Honestly, I'm surprised by how much I liked it, or not hate it, can't decide which.
    Most of the comics out there are vulnerable to re-reading. Often, something bad reads better in full context or something remembered as amazing just really wasn't that hot. I can believe that the Bendis run reads better today than it did then... but the problem is something you don't remember fondly has a hard time re-inviting itself.

Rookie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Most of the comics out there are vulnerable to re-reading. Often, something bad reads better in full context or something remembered as amazing just really wasn't that hot. I can believe that the Bendis run reads better today than it did then... but the problem is something you don't remember fondly has a hard time re-inviting itself.
    Oh absolutely.

But I got to ask, do you mean it might be better today because both titles are available in tradepaperback, and it makes for a more convenient read, or just that the general climate of the X-Men comics today is different, therefore, things might not look so dark to someone who reads them today?

I mean like how Bendis is a writer who typically works much better in a collected format, "good" or "bad" run. But really, the only writers who don't are usually the ones who pack individual issues with a certain formula, to where reading binges feel overly indulgent.

Or when you look at something like Jason Aaron's total X-Men work. There's no real incentive to lead into Amazing X-Men when you're going through his other stuff unless you just want more of his work in general.

Rookie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I mean like how Bendis is a writer who typically works much better in a collected format, "good" or "bad" run. But really, the only writers who don't are usually the ones who pack individual issues with a certain formula, to where reading binges feel overly indulgent.
    Oh, yeah. Definitely. Grant Morrison is one of those I hate reading in floppies, but when I can binge read a TPB, he's the best there is imo. As far as X-writers go, Claremont was fantastic at making a single issue work incredibly well. As was Gillen for example.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Have you gotten to the part during X-Men vs SHIELD where he gives Magneto the dialogue, "Woah guys, let's chill out with the guns."? That was about my breaking point.