Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: New Suicide Squad #1

The world has changed for Task Force X, a.k.a. the Suicide Squad. Director Amanda Waller no longer has the autonomy she once had. New members disrupt the team dynamic. And the team takes on an international scope. New members Joker's Daughter, Deathstroke and Black Manta join Harley Quinn and Deadshot for a mission in the most dangerous and unpredictable place in the world: Vladimir Putin's Russia!
    (Via [a href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/07/07/new-suicide-squad-comic-book-series/12289061/" target="_blank"]USA Today[/a])

Full preview here.

Wow, just wow. I'm actually surprised by how bad the dialogue is. "Task Force XL", really?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sage
    You couldn't screw this thing up if you tried
    I dunno, pretty sure I see Joker's Daughter.

Is this an extra-sized issue?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'm really hoping Ryan pulls an Adam Glass and kills half this team in the first arc. Joker's Daughter and Deathstroke can GTFO, please and thank you!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I'm so excited, I need to finish the rest of the suicide squads before this though! But I'm still gonna pick this up

I'm not sure what to think of this. The preview wasn't that good.

As a huge fan of the 80s Ostrander series, I was psyched when the New 52 promised a new Suicide Squad. Sadly, I did not enjoy the new take and dropped it after a few issues.

I recently heard about the proposed relaunch, and I considered grabbing it again, despite my general dislike for most of DC's current output.

That preview, though....ugh. I try not to be too negative, but that was rough. The scene almost seemed like a writer pitching the comic to an editor, and it didn't play well at all.

I suppose I will give the first issue a try and take it on an issue by issue basis. But my expectations are pretty low now.

Definitely picking this up. I like how Roberts' art is very similar to Jim Lee's.

I like the art, but yeah, that dialogue sucks pretty hard.

Mr. Sage, huh...? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by beetle_booster View Post
    Definitely picking this up. I like how Roberts' art is very similar to Jim Lee's.
    I'll be getting this too. Actually thought it was Jim Lee, at first glance, Roberts' art is spectacular and very similar.

That was awful. The pitch for the team sounds like an attempt at a metatextual commentary on the process behind a writer pitching the team to editorial at DC. Unfortunately, it makes no sense in the context of the comic. If this is a black ops. team that isn't meant to be associated with the US government in any overt way, then why would they care about the "marketability" of the team? Task Force XL? A "Suicide" Squad full of characters who are too big to be killed off?

I stuck through over 30 issues of the first new 52 Suicide Squad run. It was choppy, but had some really fun arcs and characters. This looks like it might lose me in one issue.

I like the art. I am not going to rush to judgement over the quality of a book based on a few pages of previews. I'll give it a shot and see how it is.

You gotta have Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad! He's funny! BTW, does anyone know if Rick Flagg has made a New52 appearance yet?

Hmm, not sure about this. The art is fantastic--very '90s Jim Lee, which I liked--but that dialogue....Ryan wrote the last issue of the previous volume and I wasn't enamored with it(I actually liked Adam Glass' run on the book when it first launched). This would've been a good opportunity to get Gail Simone to unleash her inner Secret Six and write the hell out of this book; instead, I suspect this will be a distant memory come this time next year.

To me it seems that the dialog up is intentional. Either Mr. Sage is clueless and was appointed due to favors or he's masking his real intent with this marketing guy mask. He's gonna be butting heads with Waller. Hopefully he shows some balls.