View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

13 8.07%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

30 18.63%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

33 20.50%
  • Black Lightning

23 14.29%
  • Mister Terrific

11 6.83%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.62%
  • Other (specify below)

1 0.62%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

49 30.43%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Vixen for the women category, Static for youngsters and Stewart for males.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Premier superheroes: Who it is currently/Who I want it to be

Black: Cyborg/ Black Lightning

Hispanic: Blue Beetle/ Blue Beetle

Asian: Katana/ Xombi
    They should make Bane their Hispanic anti-hero, the South American Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's a good point, but why do they keep casting black actors as him if the concept is that offensive? "John Jones" was black on Smallville, he was black in the Justice League Doom animated movie, he is black on Supergirl, hell even Miss Martian took the form of a black woman on that show as well. They clearly do that for diversity reasons and if it's truly as "disgusting" as Max pointed out, why keep doing it?
    He is black on the Young Justice cartoon and in the new 52 as well.

Incredible Member

While I think we all are fans of black J'onn, it's shallow diversity because he's a shapeshifter alien. He adds a black face to the big seven, but he doesn't add the black experience.

I think we're all asking for deep diversity in DC's properties, something that's very challenging due to the age of the universe and the overwhelming reliance on the biggest sellers. Moving Milestone characters to DC proper would be best option to add the black experience, but I sense there's hesitation to fully adopt Milestone into the DC collection.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, again, are you equating "PREMIERE" as meaning "ONLY"?(https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/premier)

Also, unless it's different in other countries than the U.S., "premiere" with an "e" at the end generally has to do with "the first public performance, as of a movie or play". It would seem as if we really should be going with "premier" (no "e" at the end) for purposes of this discussion.
    Yes, that's what I meant by "premiere": not really the ONLY black superhero, but the most significant/most pushed.

And you are right. I meant "premier". Will edit the first post wherever possible (the actual title of the thread cannot be edited).

There should be multiple black superheroes but I would say that Cyborg leads the pack due to his presence in the high selling NTT comic in the 80s, the 1985 Super Powers cartoon and the later high-profile Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go cartoons. John Stewart and Vixen would be right behind Cyborg due to both of their high-profiles in the JLU cartoon and Vixen's recent appearances on the CW and her web toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    DC/Batman beg to differ. Sure other characters get it but we know whose their cash cow at the end of the day. But I never said that others won't get attention, just that Batman and WW for example are the top priority.
    Except as Marvel shows promoting multiple characters brings in a wider and more diverse fan base. Batman alone can't keep DC afloat and other characters can and have offered things Batman can't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    The idea that DC should only have one main black hero is disgusting. They really need to take a page out of Marvel's book, and trim down on the white dudes.

HOWEVER, if I could only pick one black DC hero to be a long running member of the main Justice League, I'd go with Steel.
    If it comes to the Justice League you can't trim much. The appeal of this franchise is to have all the big guys in one book, Aquaman is (apart from Cyborg, or changing who the resident Green lantern is) the only character were they maybe could get away with permanently exchanging him with somebody else.
    Appart from this expanding the size of the team is the more likely option.

And btw. it seems Marvel's policy to replace their prominent heroes with divers characters didn't really worked out for them, opposed to DC Rebirth strategy to double down on their most prominent franchises.

Astonishing Member

Really pretty sure Marvel is still winning in sales. Also comics are irrelevant.

We are talking movies here really.

The problem is its Vixen by process of elimination. Its the JL ergo gotta be an adult to be a member so Static is out. John Stewart would be fine but Geoff Johns is a Hal Jordan Fanboy who hates John Stewart so no. Plus there is the legacy issue but I say its weakest in the GL Franchise. Now you could say Cruz or something but she has no GA awareness this is the JL. Black Lightning has rights issues but he is getting a show so that suggest the rights problems are cleared up. Plus he is older generally so he can work as a Bruce Contemporary. But if Rights are a problem eliminating Black Lightning and Milestone. Your left with Vixen. The problem is these flicks tend to want more Dudes showing up and Vixen doesn't guarantee Black Guys are going to show up.

The problem with Cyborg is he fits better with Teen Titans, he is not wish fulfillment and thus his mostly machine appearance is a problem. He aint even a cool looking cyborg it be fine if he was Dues Ex or Genos. But he is really not note I prefer Dues Ex still has the junk. Plus tech is already Batman's niche and to some extent Superman if its more Alien in Origin. And Cyborg is always going to get squeezed by them. Whereas Iron Man in the Avenger Movies doesn't have anyone competeting directly in his niche. Robotics and High Tech Armor Suits.

If it was up to me. I say drop Martian Manhunter, Cyborg and Aquaman. You have to have Bats, Supes and Wondie. A Flash it really doesn't matter diversity wise either works Wally or Barry. So that is 3 White Guys after that. Inject some diversity. GL...John Stewart, Simon Baz or Cruz. In terms of demos you want John or Cruz. I love John but I might lean Cruz purely because it be nice to get a Latin@ on the team and really DC doesn't have an option that says primetime male wise. Vibe doesn't cut it in my mind and Blue Beetle too young. GL Is automatically primetime.

After that you got options. I mean I think Vixen could easily take Aquaman's slot sure you lose the Atlantis storyline but she basically can do anything he can do and it wouldn't really be too much of stretch to let her telepathically communicate with Animals. Not sure she has done it in the comics but it fits. So More Magic besides WW isn't a bad thing. Opens the option to going into the RED, GREEN, ETC. Her power set is also pretty darn versatile so there is that.

DC can easily seize the ground on the Black Women and Latina Front. Marvel has nothing obvious in the pipeline to compete right now. And Storm been crap in the X-men Movies.

Now the last slot kinda depends on how you did it with GL if you went John well I say another Women. If you went Cruz and Vixen then another Guy is fine so you can add Aquaman back especially if your using Momoa you kinda got diversity. If not well Black Lightning works. Electromagnetism aint nothing to sneeze at. If you need another women I suppose you can toss in a Black Canary or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    The problem is these flicks tend to want more Dudes showing up and Vixen doesn't guarantee Black Guys are going to show up.
    Hidden Figures is a film that has done incredibly well at the box office and it features three African-American women in the lead roles. Black women and girls made efforts to increase awareness of the film and even enabled other African-American women and little girls to watch the film.

If you play up the inspirational aspects of Vixen and turn the narrative of the character into a celebration of black femininity and African culture with superhero elements, people will turn up.

Astonishing Member

Not sure that works considering Hidden Figure is a Bio Flic Not A super hero movie or an action flick. Different reason to watch the movies.

Besides I am trying to look at it from a Business View. Not my personal what I want view.

If you ask me though Bats, Supes, Wondie, Flash (Barry), GL (Cruz), Aquaman (Momoa) and Vixen would work just fine. Cover the diversity hit Marvel weak points and still get 5 of the OG in and a GL.

But really I take anything black character wise over Cyborg. Even if they gave him a design that I could get behind. I still like him better with the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Not sure that works considering Hidden Figure is a Bio Flic Not A super hero movie or an action flick. Different reason to watch the movies.

Besides I am trying to look at it from a Business View. Not my personal what I want view.

If you ask me though Bats, Supes, Wondie, Flash (Barry), GL (Cruz), Aquaman (Momoa) and Vixen would work just fine. Cover the diversity hit Marvel weak points and still get 5 of the OG in and a GL.

But really I take anything black character wise over Cyborg. Even if they gave him a design that I could get behind. I still like him better with the Titans.
    I think the inspirational angle is the main reason why HF clicked, which can be easily translated over to Vixen. In place of the real life angle, the superhero angle would work pretty effectively IMO, especially if they portray Mari as this larger than life, accomplished and glamorous individual like the way JLA is currently doing. Jim Lee and Diane Nelson once again stated in Japan that they want to attract more female fans, so if they are serious about their objective (and to be fair, they are doing a good job with DC Superhero Girls, the exposure given to Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn and Supergirl so far), then promoting Vixen would be right in line.

Astonishing Member

I think my roster does that I got 3 Diverse Women on the team. I mean 1 out of 6 or 1 out of 7 just doesn't cut mustard in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Except as Marvel shows promoting multiple characters brings in a wider and more diverse fan base. Batman alone can't keep DC afloat and other characters can and have offered things Batman can't.
    Trigon never once said they should only push Batman and ignore everyone else, don't know why you're responding as if they did. No offense but from a lot of your posts you seem oddly passive agressive against Batman, like you'll argue against him no matter what and you don't do that with anyone else and I don't know why... anyway Trigon was just saying the truth, as their most popular character Batman is going to get more attention than anyone else that doesn't mean no one else will get any attention at all. And don't act like Marvel has never done the same. It's obvious they want Iron Man to be the face of their company, it's obvious they give the Avengers way more attention than the X-Men, it's obvious they want Carol Danvers to be the top female hero and remember when Wolverine was everywhere? Yeah so let's not act like Marvel has never tried to push one franchise over another.
    Last edited by The True Detective; 03-07-2017 at 02:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

DC is obviously over reliant on Batman.

Astonishing Member

DC has tried but many of their characters just cant find an audience. Truth is that I think DC has to resign themselves to villains and anti- heroes after their 5 or so big franchises. Deathstroke, Adam, etc are the future not JSA or Legion.