Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Rookie Member

Default No more sliding timeline?

Since the young original X-Men were brought to the present, there have been a number of subtle suggestions that they hail from the actual 1960s, when they first appeared in the real world, rather than about fifteen years ago in Marvel Time. And in ALL-NEW X-MEN #9, young Beast specifically states he's been trying to return to the early sixties. So is the old sliding timeline gone now? If so, how do we explain the fact that so many characters have not aged 50+ years?

Astonishing Member

The O5 being AU would handily explain that.

Rookie Member

But they're supposed to come from the past of the same reality.

Astonishing Member

That's not been mentioned since Secret Wars and the 1960s thing wasn't mentioned before then - Bendis got retconned.

Rookie Member

I'm pretty sure they still got to the present via time travel from the past, not alternate reality. Past continuity has not been altered.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's not been mentioned since Secret Wars and the 1960s thing wasn't mentioned before then - Bendis got retconned.
    You wish.

Well, Magneto is a holocaust survivor; so with or without sliding time line, there is no way to explain why no one ages past 30.
    You know, it's funny that DisMarvel keeps proving that "CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT"; even when he is dead.

Rookie Member

Well, with Magneto, it's relatively easy, as there's already precedent for him having been de-aged a number of times. More difficult for characters like Gabrielle Haller though...

Astonishing Member

Re-read all of ANXM. I promise you all "1960s" references came from Hopeless, and all "from 616's past" references came from Bendis. Like I said, it has to have been retconned, and Secret Wars actually offers a handy explanation for that, what with the world getting destroyed and remade. Magneto is completely irrelevant, since he clearly has delayed aging like Captain America, and that's been obvious for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Re-read all of ANXM. I promise you all "1960s" references came from Hopeless, and all "from 616's past" references came from Bendis. Like I said, it has to have been retconned, and Secret Wars actually offers a handy explanation for that, what with the world getting destroyed and remade. Magneto is completely irrelevant, since he clearly has delayed aging like Captain America, and that's been obvious for decades.
    Hopeless said that they came from September 10th, 2001.
    You know, it's funny that DisMarvel keeps proving that "CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT"; even when he is dead.

Astonishing Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Drawing things to look like the 1960s should be considered topical references rather than establishing a canonical time period. Bendis's Daredevil did the same thing with flashbacks to Matt as a kid looking like the 1960s even though he was in the mid-2000s.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotJA View Post
    Since the young original X-Men were brought to the present, there have been a number of subtle suggestions that they hail from the actual 1960s, when they first appeared in the real world, rather than about fifteen years ago in Marvel Time. And in ALL-NEW X-MEN #9, young Beast specifically states he's been trying to return to the early sixties. So is the old sliding timeline gone now? If so, how do we explain the fact that so many characters have not aged 50+ years?
    Logic would dictate that the "Doomlock" only changed the time period for the O5 as everyone else is the age(s) they're supposed to be in the 616 present proper -- hence the adult duplicates of Hank, Bobby, Warren, and Scott...
    Last edited by ZNOP; 03-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    Time travel is optional.
    "Off panel", is a laughable defense.
    If it wasn't printed... It didn't happen

would the sliding time-line explain the arrested development of many comic book fans?

Incredible Member

Well in the X-position of today the editors said that X-men Blue is going to provide answers for the whole where are the 05 from, so you'll have to wait. Although they mentioned that they are showing glimpses of this potline in ANXM #19.

And about the state of the MU timeline or whatever, isn't Ultimates dealing with that stuff. I don't read it, that's why I ask.
    Last edited by lollie_poppy; 03-07-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
    would the sliding time-line explain the arrested development of many comic book fans?
    Only to those fans who chose to ignore chronological canon...

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    Well in the X-position of today the editors said that X-men Blue is going to provide answers for the whole where are the 05 from, so you'll have to wait. Although they mentioned that they are showing glimpses of this potline in ANXM #19.
    I just looked at ANXM #19 -- but, I failed to find what your describing... Got a scan?

And about the state of the MU timeline or whatever, isn't Ultimates dealing with that stuff. I don't read it, that's why I ask.
    Yes, according to Dr. Breshear theory the multiverse was totally recreated...

Last edited by ZNOP; 03-07-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post

I just looked at ANXM #19 -- but, I fail to see what your describing...

Yes, the multiverse was totally recreated...
    I'm not reading ANXM and I'm only mentioning something I read on the editor's X-position.

Wait has it even come out yet? I'm referring to vol. 2
    Last edited by lollie_poppy; 03-07-2017 at 08:17 PM.