Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Kingdom Come Board Original Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Does anyone really care who Mr.Oz is at this point?

I still want to know, but I kinda lost interest in the character several months ago. When he first appeared during Johns's Superman run, I was intrigued, but, since then, they have utterly failed to establish him with any interesting traits beyond "mysterious guy".

As a result, I don't really have any interest in his identity aside from whatever role he's playing in Rebirth...

Sure lots of us are still curious. I don't mind not knowing his identity.

I'm still excited to see how things play out. I like how DC is slowly teasing the larger implications of Rebirth, as opposed to rolling them all out at once. It's allowed them to establish the stakes and let the characters' breathe a bit in the first year of Rebirth.

My feeling is that if they are going to hype this guy up so much, then he needs to be somebody important. I actually don't think he is Ozymandias at this point given that it's just too obvious an answer. Pre-Crisis Superman maybe? Superboy Prime? Someone not on anyone's radar. He had better be important to the whole Rebirth thing and not just some random red herring given how much effort they are putting into him.
    Jokerize those fries!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My feeling is that if they are going to hype this guy up so much, then he needs to be somebody important. I actually don't think he is Ozymandias at this point given that it's just too obvious an answer. Pre-Crisis Superman maybe? Superboy Prime? Someone not on anyone's radar. He had better be important to the whole Rebirth thing and not just some random red herring given how much effort they are putting into him.
    I'm pretty confident that DC is working the big event from the right angle this time around.

Mr. Oz first appeared in John's Superman run, so it seems like they've put a lot of thought into this!

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I still want to know, but I kinda lost interest in the character several months ago. When he first appeared during Johns's Superman run, I was intrigued, but, since then, they have utterly failed to establish him with any interesting traits beyond "mysterious guy".

As a result, I don't really have any interest in his identity aside from whatever role he's playing in Rebirth...
    Really? I think we already know who he is but YES. Absolutely. I am licking my chops for his identity, The Button storyline, and also to finally get a conversation with Manhattan. This is the most important thing in the DC Universe. How could you NOT be interested? (Rhetorical)

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I'm pretty confident that DC is working the big event from the right angle this time around.

Mr. Oz first appeared in John's Superman run, so it seems like they've put a lot of thought into this!
    Exactly, this is the best build up to a major storyline since the days of Infinite Crisis. Every issue I read I feel like a kid again and I also feel as excited as I was in 05-06.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Very interested. All of the Rebirth books, and especially the Super books, have Johns' fingerprints all over them. His writing bootcamps must be working. Johns has two main characteristics in his writing: (1) he always has a larger story going in the background even while he is weaving smaller stories or plotlines into the larger whole and (2) he puts villains on an even footing with the heroes he writes and has them show up for months and years. That raises the stakes when we get a resolution. Here, they are keeping Oz as an ongoing villain in the background as the larger story while weaving all sorts of interesting things into that narrative

Mighty Member

Given the reveal over in Action I'm not sure I really do care at this point.

A reveal is only so cool as it can be if it's satisfying. And I'm kinda ehhhh about how this all sounds so far.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

I've long thought he may be prime if mystery Clarke wasn't and really it makes alot more sense that he would be Prime instead now that I think about it. Prime is always the guy behind the curtain. Some people have noted the red eye twinkle thing Oz/ Prime have goin on, maybe it's just a coin-incidence maybe not, but it is noteworthy. The only thing that I wonder about is if Superboy Prime would be able to keep relatively calm and collected the way that Mr. Oz does. His obsession with Superman and his unknown role with the creation of the new 52 Superman. This guy clearly has it out for Superman for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Very interested. All of the Rebirth books, and especially the Super books, have Johns' fingerprints all over them. His writing bootcamps must be working. Johns has two main characteristics in his writing: (1) he always has a larger story going in the background even while he is weaving smaller stories or plotlines into the larger whole and (2) he puts villains on an even footing with the heroes he writes and has them show up for months and years. That raises the stakes when we get a resolution. Here, they are keeping Oz as an ongoing villain in the background as the larger story while weaving all sorts of interesting things into that narrative
    yeah I agree they definitely have a Johns feel to them for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm with you on this, this guy has got to be somebody important. I get why maybe some people don't like drawn out reveals and it just doesn't keep they're interest but for me I'm definitely into it. I just hope they don't end up making him Magog lol.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I know people think Ozymandias is too "obvious" at this point, but I'm not sure why anyone would think it is anyone else. We have the Button, we have Dr. Manhattan, we know they are weaving the Watchmen characters in and he calls himself Mr. Oz - I'll go with Occam's Razor on this one

unless he is superman prime who had previously in final crisis legions of three worlds somehow become time trapper so maybe this is his latest makeover or assumption of a identity. hell it won't surprise me if he was aware of watchmen after reading their comics and went there and punched Manhattan to cause flashpoint/new 52 which in turn may have prompted a return visit by Manhattan.

ATOMIC SUPERMAN, EARTH-25 Atomic Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    Really? I think we already know who he is but YES. Absolutely. I am licking my chops for his identity, The Button storyline, and also to finally get a conversation with Manhattan. This is the most important thing in the DC Universe. How could you NOT be interested? (Rhetorical)
    I admit to having lost some interest when it was heavily implied we'd learn more about Oz and then have nothing revealed. That just goes to show how exciting this mystery is. I can't wait to see if he's who I think he is (Ozymandias) and what role he and Manhattan have in the post-Flashpoint DCU.

Agreed, and though I've had my problems with Johns' writing at times over the years, I feel he's at his best when he's masterminding these sorts of mysteries and building connections to current stories with forgotten and/or obscure continuity. I feel his ability to tie things up in a way that makes sense and brings new life to old stories, along with his character work, makes him one of the best comic book writers in the last 20 years.

I know people think Ozymandias is too "obvious" at this point, but I'm not sure why anyone would think it is anyone else. We have the Button, we have Dr. Manhattan, we know they are weaving the Watchmen characters in and he calls himself Mr. Oz - I'll go with Occam's Razor on this one
    The ONLY way I'll accept anyone other than Ozymandias at this point is if the theory I read somewhere here comes true: Oz is Superman Prime, who fell in love with Watchmen after reading it on Earth-Prime. He's decided to manipulate the post-Infinite DCU (which he hates) into a dark caricature of what it really is and used to be. He's also bitter about the loss of his own relationships (assuming the post-Flashpoint Earth-Prime isn't the original) so he attacked relationships directly when creating the New 52.

That said, I still think the meta-commentary of Rebirth as a whole works better with Ozymandias and Manhattan being involved. I don't see these characters as sacred cows that should go untouched, and since DC owns them, why not use them to tell a great story?

I still care about it (even though I'm pretty sure Oz is Ozymandias) and I'm finding the slow burning build up much more appealing to me as well rather than having everything revealed all at once. I'm interested in the mystery that is running in the background and I also appreciate that the stories in each of the books have also been allowed time to develop outside of that mystery.

DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/BoP/Blue Beetle/Bug/Cave Carson/DoomPatrol/Flash/Gotham Academy/GLS/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Mother Panic/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans/Trinity/Wild Storm
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Britannia/Eternity/Faith/Harbringer Renegade/Ninjak/Quantum and Woody/Secret Weapons/War Mother/X-O Manowar

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

true enough, not everything has to be overly complicated at the expense of the story. Even if he is Ozymandias that still leaves a bunch of questions like what the heck he's doing here anyway. His motivation is completely blank at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    The ONLY way I'll accept anyone other than Ozymandias at this point is if the theory I read somewhere here comes true: Oz is Superman Prime, who fell in love with Watchmen after reading it on Earth-Prime. He's decided to manipulate the post-Infinite DCU (which he hates) into a dark caricature of what it really is and used to be. He's also bitter about the loss of his own relationships (assuming the post-Flashpoint Earth-Prime isn't the original) so he attacked relationships directly when creating the New 52.
    I do find this theory to be a pretty good one, and if anyone would write a story like this it would be Johns. But if it's not Oz from Watchmen,it better be somebody good lol.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying