Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Very nearly done. Something like 2.5 episodes left. Like some have said, it does progressively get better, but I'm not sure that justifies sitting through everything previous to get to that point. Like others have said, other than the writing and the choreography, Finn is easily the weakest part of the show. When he's not coming off as a petulant child, he's acts like a kid who feels enlightenment after taking all of one semester of an eastern philosophy class at a community college. Character-wise, Colleen and the Meachums are by far the most interesting new characters on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    He gets singled out because he's Iron Fist. Like holy shit, I'm sorry but Colleen Wing isn't suppose to be the greatest martial artist in the MU, Iron Fist is suppose to be.
    IF isnt the best fighter in the MU.

He is the best fighter in KL and that gave him the IF to give him some bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

Yeah, I would think Mantis is the best fighter in the MU.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Wanted to wait until I watched the entire season before commenting but after seeing all 13 episodes, I have to say that I have lost an huge amount of respect for supposedly professional critics. While I thought IF was an amazing show, I certainly can admit it had some flaws but the fact that reviewers made this seem like it was one of the worst series of the year is laughable and shows that they were unable to get past their own personal bias. While I expect that in the comments section of sites and in chat rooms from fans, the fact that these reviews came from people who are supposed to be unbiased professionals and judge a series on it's merits and not their own personal bias really bugs me. I can't stand that everything seems to have been politicized lately and the reviews of this show seem to have been completely tainted by reviewers who were angry over marvel having the audacity to cast a white character as a white guy. IF was not perfect but the people who reviewed this show should really take a second to consider things before they post reviews on shows because the IF reviews were completely incorrect and disrespectful to the people who made the show. Wanting diversity and representation is a good thing but using that desire to bash people because they don't adhere to your ideas of diversity is ridiculous, Iron Fist was accurate to who the character is and casting a white guy as danny rand should not have been controversial, that is who the character is, I would understand the outrage if they had changed him to a white character for the show but the amount of outrage over what some people wanted is ridiculous.

While this was not as good as daredevil (S1 or S2) in my opinion, I would certainly put it above Luke Cage and Jessica Jones( both of those were really good as well).Colleen was awesome and while Danny's action scenes were not as good as daredevil's scenes have been, they were still good in my opinion. Overall I really hope this gets a second season as they perfectly wrapped up season one and left lots of dangling threads for a second season.
    Favorite Characters

DC-Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Superman, Wonder Woman, Deathstroke

Marvel- Thor (Odinson), Wolverine(Logan),Daredevil, Elektra, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman,Spider-Man (Peter), Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

I didn't say fighter, I said martial artist. Not to mention this completely misses the point. Even if he weren't the best in your opinon, he is certainly suppose to be one of the best. Colleen Wing is not suppose to be one of the best martial artists in the MU. There are tons of people better than her. If Iron Fist is the best Kun Lun has to offer then Kun Lun sucks. His martial arts are weak. In terms of the movie MU, I would say this version of Iron Fist would get his ass kicked by the following in no particular order.

Captain America, Winter Solider, Daredevil, Black Widow, Black Panther, Elecktra, Stick, Nobu Yoshioka and pretty most of the Hand assassins that appeared in Daredevil. Pretty much any H2H combatant of note that I've seen in this shared universe looks like they can kick his ass.

I sincerely hope they give Jones a costume on Defenders so his stunt double can do more or that he spends his off time getting his martial arts up to par.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Astonishing Member

Just finished watching it.

Not a bad series, but I'm baffled by the lack of humor. Given the material, that's by no means as dark as JJ, DD, or Cage, you'd think that they'd lean into a more light hearted nature, but they really didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Not a bad series, but I'm baffled by the lack of humor. Given the material, that's by no means as dark as JJ, DD, or Cage, you'd think that they'd lean into a more light hearted nature, but they really didn't.
    I know it's not quite what you're talking about, but I found Harold amusing, as well as Ward's reactions to other characters throughout the season.

Not lighthearted, but humorous nonetheless.

Class 5 Roaming Vapor BeastieRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    I know it's not quite what you're talking about, but I found Harold amusing, as well as Ward's reactions to other characters throughout the season.

Ward flipping off his dad was the first time a MCU Netflix show gave me a belly laugh.

I finished the series and have to say to critics must have been in the Hand's pocket. 8/10 (same as Cage, DDS1, & DDS2) for me. Jessica Jones being the only stand-out for me as the best (9.5/10).

My only real complaint is that this should have followed Jessica, not Luke. Luke would've been perfect in the lobby scene. Then we culminate with a Luke Cage show before Defenders as Coleen, Danny, Claire, could plan to get Luke out (maybe throw in Misty) before we get the Big Bad Hand boss.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Yeah, there were a few humorous points, but overall, things were played pretty straight.

Which, IMO, is wrong. The subject matter wasn't terribly serious, so why not lean into the fact that Danny's lived in some other perfect, idealized culture for the last 15 years or so? Anyone who can't find comedy there shouldn't be in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    He gets singled out because he's Iron Fist. Like holy shit, I'm sorry but Colleen Wing isn't suppose to be the greatest martial artist in the MU, Iron Fist is suppose to be. The fundamental issue with the show if you ignore the pacing issues and the PIS is the fact that the two biggest elements of Iron Fist are missing. First, the dude isn't believable as the preeminent martial artist in the MU that beat out hundreds of warrior monks in order to become Iron Fist. Second, they removed all the mystic elements which is a core of who Iron Fist is.

So they basically decided to make a show about Iron Fist and then proceeded to remove the 2 main things that make him Iron Fist. It's a fundamentally idiotic decision and Jones is bearing the brunt of that stupidity because he's the titular hero.

This would be like trying to do the Doctor Strange movie and then removing everything strange that makes him who he is. The narrative wouldn't work if there was no mysticism in Dr. Strange. The narrative doesn't work here because you have an average fighter and zero mysticism in a show that requires both.
    Actually, I think I read somewhere that Shang Chi is supposed to be a better martial artist than Danny. Rand just has super powers.

"IT'S...IT'S....JUST ICE CREAM!!!!"

"OH JUST SHUT UP AND DIE!!!!!!!!"

I know it's wrong, but I laughed at that exchange.

I haven't watched the whole thing (probably won't), so forgive me if I'm wrong...but isn't Danny some sort of...fledgling Iron Fist? I picked up a few bits from my boyfriend's viewing, and apparently Danny wasn't taught quite a few things (including how to heal with his power), and I think he mentioned his training was interrupted abruptly.

Was this explained?
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    "IT'S...IT'S....JUST ICE CREAM!!!!"

"OH JUST SHUT UP AND DIE!!!!!!!!"

I know it's wrong, but I laughed at that exchange.
    Same here! Almost everything involving Harold mixed in something to at least giggle at. His long stare at Ward while coming out of his hyperbaric chamber, "I don't give a shit" when telling Kyle to stop apologizing, his last words to Ward and Joy in episode 12... sure there was something horrible sandwiched around these moments, but they were great and near expertly executed.

So...why would Davos want Danny killed now? What is the rationale for killing the Iron Fist? Because Danny isn't the person that Davos wants him to be? I'm just not sure what there is to be gained for Davos from Danny's death. And did he free Gao? I don't even remember if Davos knew where she was at or if there was a scene where Danny disclosed that information to Davos.

Imo, the main problem of this show, is the perception of the comics Iron Fist, we see that like a martial arts show, but not the showrunner !!! for them it's clearly more a buddhism, zen exploration about the control; all the episodes are about that; that crazy because that exactly the same debate about Kungfu the tv show, despite his name, there are very few fight sequences, it was more about oriental philosophy.

Iron Fist are more or less the same thing, in this show there are very few martial arts sequences but fat more moral and dialogues; just few fights done quickly, we see Danny Rand describe Kun Lun, not something wonderful and beautiful like in the comics; but something close to the Tibet..., I don't think Iron Fist is a buddhist in the comics, Kun Lun seem to have their own mystical faith; in the show he is very religious; that tell alot about the direction of this show...they don't care about martial arts, they see more something like Jessica Jones, about the inner problems of Danny Rand; Daredevil is a action/martial arts tv show with dramatic moments; not Iron Fist.

For the casting, the more I think, the more I see that like a problem too, they seem too romantic, for me despite the praise, on the of big miscast is Colleen Wing, she seem so cute, with a very baby face, I have always seen Colleen with a severe face, like Devon Aoki, him and Danny, they look teenagers imo; that really weird when you see the show; it's as stupid to put a tall handsome autralian for Wolverine.
    Last edited by Bolo; 03-21-2017 at 07:06 AM.