Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default SuperWoman #8 Discuss (Spoilers!)

So what did people think of this issue? I wasn't a fan honestly, but I liked some of themes Jimnez had in here. Lot of teasing when it came to n52 supes and Lois that will probably be continued in the next 2 weeks of reborn.

I really am curious about this book next month. I really want this next arc to be good because I feel this book could have potential with it's cast of characters.

F#%k, this book made my eye go all glassy near the end. The powerful stuff with Lena and Lex, John's love, Lois and Lana's bond, and Lana's deepest thoughts coming out into the light. It's pretty beautiful, honestly.

I had lost interest in the book because I missed the idea of "normal" people in the Superman world, and I felt like they were taking away one of the best, Lana. But, then they tied it all up with this beautifully written essay on why it was okay, and how it'll inform her character going forward powers or not. Jimenez's writing is on-point. Once I know what the deal is going forward, I might actually pick up the issues I missed.

If this book turns into a sort of socially conscious pulp action book with our non-powered heroes, you won't be able to keep me away from it. I mean, I'm now sad that Jimenez is leaving, but I hope whoever comes on will continue his trend.

I also love the line about Lana being the bridge between the past and the present. That works on so many levels given the character's history and place in the Superman myth.

So far, the Superman team has really been tying up the plot threads left by Final Days and the start of Rebirth in pretty satisfying ways. Bravo.

Also a few things:

-Whoa, Guardian's back!! Thanks Jimenez.

-Between this issue, and Max Landis' back-up issue during Morrison's Action run, I think it's safe to say that I kinda love the idea of Atomic Skull now.

-Loved prison system idea

-Really liked how Jimenez wrote Lana, Lois, and Clark. With the write artist by his side (I'd rather he just focus all his efforts on writing and page breakdowns, even though I like his like) I finally agree that Jimenez would make one hell of a Superman writer. His world building is off the charts, and his character work is strong.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

I'm really with Superlad here in that I started out not really liking this book much, didn't hate it, it just felt like the plot thread of the book just needed to end and honestly I could have done without the first 7 issues but I did like this one. It takes Lana almost being pushed to the brink of death to make this book interesting lol. I thought Lana was sort of acting out of character too, like she had a weird Carol Danvers vibe goin on. Not a big fan of that. Like she belongs on an episode of Degrassi more than a Superhero book. Considering the whole book takes place in a dream it's kind of hard to tell what's going on. But the vibe I got is that Lana giving up her red energy is no longer "Super" at least when she wakes up at the fortress. Not sure what's going on with New 52 Supes considering he only appeared in a dream form. But the way he talked to Lana and of course recognizing Jon as they're son seems to point somewhere. Basically to summarize Post Crisis Superman+Pre Crisis Earth 1 Superman= Secret Origin Superman=Superdad Mr. Oz.+Red Energy+?=New 52 Superman
    I wonder what it would be like--to be the fastest man on Earth? Well...I'll never know-- The Flash was just a character some writer dreamed up! -Barry Allen (showcase #4)

Jimenez is a really good writer. I hope he continues to get other DC work. Every issue is incredibly dense and well done

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    I'm really with Superlad here in that I started out not really liking this book much, didn't hate it, it just felt like the plot thread of the book just needed to end and honestly I could have done without the first 7 issues but I did like this one. It takes Lana almost being pushed to the brink of death to make this book interesting lol. I thought Lana was sort of acting out of character too, like she had a weird Carol Danvers vibe goin on. Not a big fan of that. Like she belongs on an episode of Degrassi more than a Superhero book. Considering the whole book takes place in a dream it's kind of hard to tell what's going on. But the vibe I got is that Lana giving up her red energy is no longer "Super" at least when she wakes up at the fortress. Not sure what's going on with New 52 Supes considering he only appeared in a dream form. But the way he talked to Lana and of course recognizing Jon as they're son seems to point somewhere. Basically to summarize Post Crisis Superman+Pre Crisis Earth 1 Superman= Secret Origin Superman=Superdad Mr. Oz.+Red Energy+?=New 52 Superman
    My only thing is, didn't new-superman get his powers from the red energy also? How will they explain how he gets to keep his powers.

Not sure what's going on with New 52 Supes considering he only appeared in a dream form.
    From what I gathered, basically New 52 Lois and Clark "died" and gradually built up into the red power that Lana had. The people Lana is speaking with in her dream are really Lois and Clark (or at least an aspect of them). She's talking to them because they are the red energy. The red energy wants to recombine itself with Mr and Mrs El.

What's really funny is that apparently the Superman team planed this whole thing out to the letter as far back as Last Days of Superman. Remember Denny Swan, the "Solar Superman?" Well remember how he seemed to instinctively know where Mr. El and his family were? He explained it as him being "drawn" to him. That was the red energy wanting to go to Mr. El.

Now, over a dozen issues later, were getting back to that idea, and suddenly Swan wasn't as big a waste of time as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    My only thing is, didn't new-superman get his powers from the red energy also? How will they explain how he gets to keep his powers.
    Sorta, but not really. It's explicitly stated that Kenan (and Super-Man Zero) got his powers from a scientific process that used the residuals from Superman's flares. However, Swan, Lana, and Lois were naturally struck by these powers. The difference of circumstance likely adds an element of dilution that keeps Kenan's powers safe unlike Lana's. Over in Kenan's book, this is being expressed as Kenan training to make Superman's qi completely his own.

It all actually works out pretty well.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-08-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah I've been thinking about that too. Superlad's explanation seems about as good as I can think of as well. But it's noteworthy how in Multiplicity he was taken in place of the Earth-0 Superman, which would seem to imply some strong connection between them. And heck although it's implied, we still don't know if Lana is completely powerless when she wakes up or not.
    I wonder what it would be like--to be the fastest man on Earth? Well...I'll never know-- The Flash was just a character some writer dreamed up! -Barry Allen (showcase #4)

A merge will definitely be necessary. At the moment, Rebirth Superman lacks some of the things New 52 Superman had. There is being Clark Kent, working at the Daily Planet. There is his relationships with other characters such as Lana or Supergirl or Batman and the JL who currently are apprehensive about this "alternate" one. Part of Rebirth is meant to be about restoring relationships but an alt doesn't have them so Superman books are currently lacking those important elements and friendships that contribute to being Superman, it's just been him with Lois and Jon. When they merge together, they get the New 52 Superman history back within Superman's existence and becomes complete once more, restoring all of those relationships. Then everything is back on track and we can move forward to the further stories.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    From what I gathered, basically New 52 Lois and Clark "died" and gradually built up into the red power that Lana had. The people Lana is speaking with in her dream are really Lois and Clark (or at least an aspect of them). She's talking to them because they are the red energy. The red energy wants to recombine itself with Mr and Mrs El.

What's really funny is that apparently the Superman team planed this whole thing out to the letter as far back as Last Days of Superman. Remember Denny Swan, the "Solar Superman?" Well remember how he seemed to instinctively know where Mr. El and his family were? He explained it as him being "drawn" to him. That was the red energy wanting to go to Mr. El.

Now, over a dozen issues later, were getting back to that idea, and suddenly Swan wasn't as big a waste of time as I thought.
    yeah I came back to Superman around that time, anticipating Rebirth. I'm on a similar theory with the "red energy" perhaps being a part of Supes life-force or something. Maybe it had something to do with his power fluctuations during the Lois and Clark series before the death of New 52 Supes as well. But somebody had to create this "red energy" Superman and we still don't know why or for what purpose he was created.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    A merge will definitely be necessary. At the moment, Rebirth Superman lacks some of the things New 52 Superman had. There is being Clark Kent, working at the Daily Planet. There is his relationships with other characters such as Lana or Supergirl or Batman and the JL who currently are apprehensive about this "alternate" one. Part of Rebirth is meant to be about restoring relationships but an alt doesn't have them so Superman books are currently lacking those important elements and friendships that contribute to being Superman, it's just been him with Lois and Jon. When they merge together, they get the New 52 Superman history back within Superman's existence and becomes complete once more, restoring all of those relationships. Then everything is back on track and we can move forward to the further stories.
    I mean, we could just have him reassume his work at the Daily Planet and go back to being Clark Kent. Its not as if he's forgotten those memories.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie

yeah I came back to Superman around that time, anticipating Rebirth. I'm on a similar theory with the "red energy" perhaps being a part of Supes life-force or something. Maybe it had something to do with his power fluctuations during the Lois and Clark series before the death of New 52 Supes as well. But somebody had to create this "red energy" Superman and we still don't know why or for what purpose he was created.
    Actually the power fluctuations have been explained by Jurgens (over Twitter) as Mr. El feeling the effects of Vandel Savage's plan during Truth. Savage somehow made it so all Kryptonians on Earth would have their powers diminished greatly. For Nuperman: he went down to being a just above Captain America's power. For Supergirl: she lost all of her powers and only regained them at the start of her new book. For Superdad: he got his powers reduced to about the start of post-crisis levels. Jurgens confirms that Superdad is back to full power now.

I imagine the red energy going to Superdad will give some some of the memories and experiences of Nuperman. However, a poster brought up a good point today: what if we are to take Lois forgetting Jon as a sign that it may be Clark alone who remembers this adventure? Lois and Jon may come back with their post-reborn memories, but Superman my have memories of what came before. In the post Reborn issue of Trinity Superman will apparantly tell Batman and WW about what "happened to him. This seems to indicate that he has an idea.

Not sure if this is right or not (I think I'm only allowed to predict the future once a month ), but it could be how they keep some stuff in continuity post-reborn?

I won't lie. I didn't like it.

I never liked the idea of a merger, or of New 52 Superman and Superdad being exactly the same person but somehow not because of time-shenaningans and others manipulations of realities. I'm rather sad to see the direction D.C. is going with all of this, because it means that even hoping that one day I could have stories about the Superman I loved and not one I can't really care about, even in elseworlds scenarios, is but a fool dream by now. D.C. has chosen conservative at all cost, in my eyes at least, and I won't bother reading more of Superwoman, Superman and Action Comics beyond Reborn. I hope New Super Man won't be too affected (even if I'm afraid it will).

Still, this issue felt rather well integrated into the Reborn storyline without retreading what we already know, which is always great. It is a great story, but one I'm clearly not the public off. And I can live with that. I'll save more money that way .
    Last edited by Korath; 03-08-2017 at 12:54 PM.

John Henry Irons looks very Dwayne Johnsonish in this issue.
    there is no "i" in denial