Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Now this is what concerns me still. I just don't like the idea of making Jon so all-important. He's grown on me as a character, I admit that, but I don't want him to be of some sort of cosmic importance. Superman should be that.
    "The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son"

Its a nice quote comparing Jor-El and Kal-El, but I'm just not appealed by the idea of doing it with Superman's son. To me this is still the sticking point that could really destroy the whole endeavor if not done carefully. I know how important Jurgens wants the boy to be and I just don't think its going to be accepted in the long run if not tempered. To me, you can't push him as being more important than the star. Its basically the only concern I have left but unfortunately I think it could prove a costly one. Not now, but down the line.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-17-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Its a nice quote comparing Jor-El and Kal-El, but I'm just not appealed by the idea of doing it with Superman's son.
    I reckon we'll all be dead before Jon ever inherits the cape

Now this is what concerns me still. I just don't like the idea of making Jon so all-important. He's grown on me as a character, I admit that, but I don't want him to be of some sort of cosmic importance. Superman should be that.

Hmm, I was responding to the pages of Lana talking about Lois and Clark being so important then Lois saying that it isn't them but Jon. I thought that page was posted here but now I'm not seeing it. In any case, that's what I'm referring to.
    I didn't interpret that scene as implying that everything going on is directly caused by or revolves around Jon or that he has cosmic importance. I think that N52 Lois is stating that Jon's safety is what is important to them (they seemed to know Mxy had him) and they need to merge with their Blue counterparts in order to save him. They know that merging together will rewrite some timeline stuff and affect Lana's life, but they aren't doing that just for their own personal benefit.
    there is no "i" in denial

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    It might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm saddened by DC's choice not to reboot that particular aspect. I'd pay twice the cover issue to read a Superman comic featuring Lana Lang if I knew for sure that I don't risk going through another awful, AWFUL statement-slash-sermon, like that from a few Superwoman issues ago, on what being an engineer is about. As a real-life engineer, when I read a "colleague" (albeit fictional) droning about "duty", "mission" and other such Words-in-freedom from atop her pedestal, I was this close to start tearing my hair off.

As a member of the most self-deprecating group of professionals in the world, I'd like to say it loud and say it proud: New 52 Lana Lang is in no way an accurate representation of real-life engineers. At best, she's a representation of the kind of attitude that brings you nowhere but down in this particular job. I'll believe in a flying man with X-ray vision before I believe in an engineer getting all riled up when talking about his/her duty towards to the world and believing every word he/she says. We're not architects, you know?
    Maybe your doing it wrong?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

One of the New 52 changes I liked was Lana becoming an electrical engineer, and giving her some personality, Because with few exceptions, Lana post 1986 was essentially a non entity imo. So I'm hoping New 52 Lana is kept, just retcon that she was once married to Pete Ross and they had a kid ( little Clark Ross, which could perhaps be brought in as a pal of Jon?). Heck they could even retcon back in the notion she was Kara's guardian when she initially came to earth as a tip of the hat to the Gates/Igle run.

The one thing that annoyed me was Pak's insistence on having her constantly remind us via dialogue " I'm an electrical engineer!" Every other page of most of her ACTION appearances. We get it. No need to hit us over the head constantly.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I was agreeing with your astute assessment of architects the world over (I'm South African btw).
    Huh... nice! It's kind of comforting to know that some things can be taken for granted the world over! (I'm Italian btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Maybe your doing it wrong?
    No, because if Lana is the one doing it right, then she's the only one in the whole universe who does it right. And she's not even real!

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The one thing that annoyed me was Pak's insistence on having her constantly remind us via dialogue " I'm an electrical engineer!" Every other page of most of her ACTION appearances. We get it. No need to hit us over the head constantly.
    That's part of a larger trend that I've been noticing in comic books ever since the turn of the century: many authors have become seemingly incapable of writing characters with a job.

Looks like Superwoman may end with Issue 12

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401274730...8dad6477cf6695

From best-selling writer and illustrator Phil Jimenez comes the continuing adventures of DC's newest hero in SUPERWOMAN VOL. 2, as a part of DC Rebirth!

The super-family rallies around Superwoman as the reason her powers are killing her is revealed, as are her connections to the New 52 Superman! The events of SUPERMAN REBORN will greatly impact the future of Metropolis' newest hero!

From comics superstar Phil Jimenez (INFINITE CRISIS) comes the finale of one of the most unique tales in DC history with SUPERWOMAN VOL. 2! Collects SUPERWOMAN #8-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

OK.. Nothing unexpected.. Is DC..

I hope see Kenan Kong with better luck.. He is funny and his serie is funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    OK.. Nothing unexpected.. Is DC.

Actually, it's not DC, it's people not bothering to pick up the comic

Actually, it's not DC, it's people not bothering to pick up the comic
    Like en New Super-man... Although people who see it, admits that the comic is funny..

Anyway... Since the end of N52 I have learned one thing... Not trust in new things.. the sales fail and goobye.. disappointment.

and I think that New Super-man has less sales than superwoman... I adore the boy and his friends but this time I am ready if he fails too.
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-20-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Veteran Member

I THINK I heard elsewhere that someone else is just taking over the book. K. Perkins or something. So, "finale" may just be a reference to Jimenez's run ending. Don't quote me on that, though.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie

It's possible with how low sales are, but that solict also still acts like Jimenez is writing the book. Either way, the book likely is finished unless it can manage to get some huge following after Reborn which is unlikely with a relatively unknown writer.

Veteran Member

Bah. Amazon descriptions don't tend to be that great anyway. Like a lot of websites with their stock descriptions of a story.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    One of the New 52 changes I liked was Lana becoming an electrical engineer, and giving her some personality, Because with few exceptions, Lana post 1986 was essentially a non entity imo. So I'm hoping New 52 Lana is kept, just retcon that she was once married to Pete Ross and they had a kid ( little Clark Ross, which could perhaps be brought in as a pal of Jon?). Heck they could even retcon back in the notion she was Kara's guardian when she initially came to earth as a tip of the hat to the Gates/Igle run.

Yeah, I'd very much welcome this. Her and Pete had been divorced for years come 2011 anyway. So, its not like her dating Steel couldn't have been done before Flashpoint. That's probably one of the easiest things to reconcile.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie