Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Putting aside personal biases about "classic" Wonder Woman mythos aside, Azarello's run was not only the more interesting one but also the more consistent. Better written in terms of characterization with subtle developments and themes here and there for almost every member of the cast and storylines compared to heavyhanded themes, characterization that goes nowhere (Diana's "dementia", Cheetah's weakness in terms of overall character) and stories that go for way too long and finish in underwhelming manners that are frequent in Rucka's recent work.

And another reason why Rucka's run is not considered as interesting nor consistent as Azzarello's? Barely anyone reviews it. I mean, I cover it but I also covered the disastrous Meredith Finch's era which I wish I wouldn't have (Not saying that Rucka's is as bad though, not even at its worst).

Barely anyone reviews Rucka's run? From http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-bo...r-woman-(2011), here are the number of reviewers for Azzarello's final issue:

#35 Brian Azzarello Cliff Chiang 21

And here are the number of reviewers for Rucka's issue #18(not counting #19 since it just came out yesterday):

#18 Greg Rucka Bilquis Evely 10

While that's around half the number of reviewers that Azzarello had, the book, which comes out twice a month, is still selling considerably better than Azzarello's final year plus I haven't seen anywhere near the amount of complains about Rucka's run that I did about Azzarello's. In fact, I've seen some folks who gave up Wonder Woman because of Azzarello come back because of Rucka(many of whom passed on the Finchs' run).
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, DC Bombshells, Earth 2 Society, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Suicide Squad, Titans, Trinity, The Legend of Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yes, so much yes. Azz was perfect for that reader, since he didn't like Diana before he wrote her, either. Rucka, at least, has loved Diana before he wrote her, and will continue to love her after he leaves.
    It's kind of heartbreaking that Diana's most known origin is the one made by a writer that didn't care that much about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    And let's not forget that some of those critics who labeled Azzarello's run as the "Best WW Run Ever" started out their reviews on the run with "I've never read Wonder Woman before....."
    I think these are the same people who latch on to the "Azzarello's Amazons are better because they're not perfect, boring saints like they were before in the runs that I have never read so I have no way of knowing if it's true or not" myth.

Technically Azz's run lost a lot more people. He also did a lot of damage. No need for the sex raids.You don't have to make them saints but making them assholes doesn't help.Diana in sales has been more stable with people who know what she is about and her mythos. Azz can doan disservice to many women characters.Most of the good guys and helpful characters were men.
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think these are the same people who latch on to the "Azzarello's Amazons are better because they're not perfect, boring saints like they were before in the runs that I have never read so I have no way of knowing if it's true or not" myth.

Most likely you are right. Plus - how many of these fans that Azz brought in are still reading Wonder Woman today despite Azz-fans saying that Wonder Woman was still essentially the same character she always was under his pen.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, DC Bombshells, Earth 2 Society, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Suicide Squad, Titans, Trinity, The Legend of Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    It's kind of heartbreaking that Diana's most known origin is the one made by a writer that didn't care that much about her.
    I don't like Azz's run, but I don't think it's true that he didn't care about her. I think an accurate statement is Azz doesn't care about her history - and DC told him that was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yup. People who think that have definitely never read The Circle. Which...how hard is it to pick up that one title? It's all over the place!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Technically Azz's run lost a lot more people. He also did a lot of damage. No need for the sex raids.You don't have to make them saints but making them assholes doesn't help.Diana in sales has been more stable with people who know what she is about and her mythos. Azz can doan disservice to many women characters.Most of the good guys and helpful characters were men.
    Not to mention just treating them like cannon fodder with the first Strife attack, and having them be petty bullies to Diana with the "clay" namecalling.

I also can't help remembering the oft-repeated adage, "Why is Azzerello's idea for Wonder Woman 'She needs more dudes'?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Most likely you are right. Plus - how many of these fans that Azz brought in are still reading Wonder Woman today despite Azz-fans saying that Wonder Woman was still essentially the same character she always was under his pen.
    That's an excellent point. I tried to like Azz's run - started from #1 - but it lost me incredibly quickly (even before the raping and murdering Amazons issue). I tried out the Finches' run, didn't love or hate it, but didn't care about them trying to do more of the same. Only came back to Diana for Rucka.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

I saw a preview with Dark and Edgy Donna Troy, which is one of the worst things to come from the n52 and I was like 'No' and noped the hell out.

I saw the last volume of WW on my comic store so I gave it a quick fast read, and the final was ridiculously depressing, Superman had a more hopeful ending and he died.

But, as I said, I'm 80% sure Rucka stays, perhaps 75%. If not then I'd be okay with Seeley or Jimenez.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I saw the last volume of WW on my comic store so I gave it a quick fast read, and the final was ridiculously depressing, Superman had a more hopeful ending and he died.
    This turn of phrase is hilarious! Well done.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews