Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Lady Nightwing's Avatar

I like Banes characterisation in this but not much else. Fair enough he's smart enough to figure out Batman is Bruce Wayne, from that he may be able to deduce the location of the Batcave but how did he get in without no one noticing? Bruce is hyper vigilant, the security in the Batcave would be incredible. Did Bruce learn nothing from the CoO?

How did Bane hang the three boyos in the cave without killing them or the very least giving them irreparable brain damage?

I mean there is time enough in the arc left to address these issues but I think King will tbh. It's more about cool character moments than a really solid plot.

Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Not much happened except Bane punching the rogues, but for some reason this was an entertaining romp through Arkham. I find it a bit ridiculous that it took as long as it did though.

- Loved the use of Maxie.
    - Poor Havey just wanted to hear all the options before he could flip to decide anything...
    - Gimmicks or no, Bane vs the likes of Crane and Tetch is the most hilariously one sided thing ever
    - Loved Nygma being able to decipher New Genesis tech, and the set up for the next arc with the Joker
    - I know there really isn't much King can do to address it or else superhero comics as we know them would break, but Bruce's "I can't call the League in because it didn't work last time" thing is pretty dumb. Bane isn't Gotham. Aquaman alone could probably solve this in like 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    If you look at it again, you'll see that it's actually a right uppercut-left hook combination.
    oops, i need to get my eyes checked!

he smashed Harvey good!

Incredible Member TheNewFiftyForum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I like Banes characterisation in this but not much else. Fair enough he's smart enough to figure out Batman is Bruce Wayne, from that he may be able to deduce the location of the Batcave but how did he get in without no one noticing? Bruce is hyper vigilant, the security in the Batcave would be incredible. Did Bruce learn nothing from the CoO?

How did Bane hang the three boyos in the cave without killing them or the very least giving them irreparable brain damage?

I mean there is time enough in the arc left to address these issues but I think King will tbh. It's more about cool character moments than a really solid plot.
    Ra's al-Ghul, Amanda Waller and Joker have all waltzed in there one time or another as well, so it's definitely not unprecedented. I do agree about it being a bit silly in the context of the fictional world though.

BTW, I like how the rogues managed to mess up Bane quite a bit in the end. On venom he should probably be able to beat up most of Batman's villains in one go, certainly the ones who aren't very physical, but guys like Man-Bat and Flamingo aren't pushovers and would likely be able to at least tag him once or twice.
    Last edited by TheNewFiftyForum; 03-16-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not much happened except Bane punching the rogues, but for some reason this was an entertaining romp through Arkham. I find it a bit ridiculous that it took as long as it did though.

- Loved the use of Maxie.
    - Poor Havey just wanted to hear all the options before he could flip to decide anything...
    - Gimmicks or no, Bane vs the likes of Crane and Tetch is the most hilariously one sided thing ever
    - Loved Nygma being able to decipher New Genesis tech, and the set up for the next arc with the Joker
    - I know there really isn't much King can do to address it or else superhero comics as we know them would break, but Bruce's "I can't call the League in because it didn't work last time" thing is pretty dumb. Bane isn't Gotham. Aquaman alone could probably solve this in like 5 seconds.
    That's just it though. Bane isn't Gotham so why does Batman need to call the League for? There's a plan at work here that will very like!y compromise Bane's amped up strength. Why else have him run a gauntlet through Arkham (other than the fact that it was cool to see)?

Besides there really wouldn't be much of a story if Aquaman or any other Leaguer just swept in and took care of things for Batman. Honestly a lot of problems in Gotham could be dealt with faster if Batman would only "call the League" but doing so, in most cases, really doesn't serve the Batman narrative in any way IMHO. I'd have been happier if King hadn't had Alfred mention calling the League at all.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-16-2017 at 04:48 PM.

DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/BoP/Blue Beetle/Bug/Cave Carson/DoomPatrol/Flash/Gotham Academy/GLS/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Mother Panic/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans/Trinity/Wild Storm
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Britannia/Eternity/Faith/Harbringer Renegade/Ninjak/Quantum and Woody/Secret Weapons/War Mother/X-O Manowar

Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That's just it though. Bane isn't Gotham so why does Batman need to call the League for? There's a plan at work here that will very like!y compromise Bane's amped up strength. Why else have him run a gauntlet through Arkham (other than the fact that it was cool to see)?

Besides there really wouldn't be much of a story if Aquaman or any other Leaguer just swept in and took care of things for Batman. Honestly a lot of problems in Gotham could be dealt with faster if Batman would only "call the League" but doing so, in most cases, really doesn't serve the Batman narrative in any way IMHO. I'd have been happier if King hadn't had Alfred mention calling the League at all.
    That's honestly what I would prefer too. It wouldn't even be an issue if Alfred hadn't brought it up and Bruce's dismissal of it not making sense, especially in comparison to the Gotham situation. I almost wish Superman hadn't appeared in the last issues either, because I can't imagine him just sitting on the sidelines, especially after Dick in particular had been seriously injured.

The nod to All Star Superman, with the small golden key to the Fortress under the mat, made it all worthwhile though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That's honestly what I would prefer too. It wouldn't even be an issue if Alfred hadn't brought it up and Bruce's dismissal of it not making sense, especially in comparison to the Gotham situation. I almost wish Superman hadn't appeared in the last issues either, because I can't imagine him just sitting on the sidelines, especially after Dick in particular had been seriously injured.

The nod to All Star Superman, with the small golden key to the Fortress under the mat, made it all worthwhile though.
    I liked the nod to All Star Superman in that issue but as a general rule I'd really prefer that the League be left out of Batman comics by writers barring some sort of Crisis type scenario. Most of the time, as here, it comes off as awkward and dumb so I'd just rather they didn't mention it at all unless they are going to show up.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-16-2017 at 05:22 PM.

DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/BoP/Blue Beetle/Bug/Cave Carson/DoomPatrol/Flash/Gotham Academy/GLS/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Mother Panic/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans/Trinity/Wild Storm
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Britannia/Eternity/Faith/Harbringer Renegade/Ninjak/Quantum and Woody/Secret Weapons/War Mother/X-O Manowar

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan#1's Avatar

I very much enjoyed this issue and I like how Bane is being presented. Without question, showcasing him walking around Arkham and dispatching various villains from Bruce's rogues gallery like they're nothing puts Bane on another level not seen in quite some time.

Finch and Janin are killing it in the art department and I'm loving every second of it. Every page was something else and Bane looks freakin' incredible.

The little scene with Calendar Man was genius and truly encapsulates the never ending battle between good and evil in comics.

Why was Grundy in Arkham? Where they trying to cure him of being a zombie? Also, King's version of Grundy is incredibly weak. Batman takes him out with a one handed body slam and Bane is able to beat both Grundy and Amygdala at the same time. I know Grundy is different every time he gets resurrected out of Slaughter Swamp. This is just one of the weakest versions of him I've seen.

That was probably Riddler's best feat he's ever had. I don't think even Lex Luthor could figure out New God tech that fast.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-17-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Why was Grundy in Arkham? Where they trying to cure him of being a zombie? Also, King's version of Grundy is incredibly weak. Batman takes him out with a one handed body slam and Bane is able to beat both Grundy and Amygdala at the same time. I know Grundy is different every time he gets resurrected out of Slaughter Swamp. This is just one of the weakest versions of him I've seen.

That was probably Riddler's best feat he's ever had. I don't think even Lex Luthor could figure out New God tech that fast.
    King's Grundy is actually fairly decent, moreso than many other versions which is why its kinda amusing to see him get owned by Batman and Bane. Other weaker Grundy's never really had feats but this one had a solid showing against Gotham siblings.
    King just writes Bane and Bruce like they're supermen. Remember these guys literally had their backs broken but are running around like nothing happened. Pre Flashpoint Babs is rolling in her grave.
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 03-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Question I have since I'm not reading Batman:

Ignoring the circumstances going on in 'Tec, because as far as I know the entire book does that, is there an in-universe reason why Bruce doesn't call in the 'Tec team to deal with Bane? Like, I understand him wanting to protect the Robins, but unless Bane is FAR tougher than he's ever been, I'm pretty sure Bruce, Az, Cass, and Clayface together could end this arc pretty quickly.

Not trying to critique a book I'm not reading, I'm just curious if they've given a reason.

Incredible Member TheNewFiftyForum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post

Ignoring the circumstances going on in 'Tec, because as far as I know the entire book does that, is there an in-universe reason why Bruce doesn't call in the 'Tec team to deal with Bane? Like, I understand him wanting to protect the Robins, but unless Bane is FAR tougher than he's ever been, I'm pretty sure Bruce, Az, Cass, and Clayface together could end this arc pretty quickly.

Not trying to critique a book I'm not reading, I'm just curious if they've given a reason.
    No, the 'Tec team hasn't been mentioned in the story.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Amazing Member

Maybe it takes place after the current 'Tec arc and most of the Team is still injured and recovering from their wounds, although if that is the case it still should at least get a mentioned.
    Presumably Cass would still be in fighting condition (but Bruce likely considers her in a similar vain to the Robins and probably wouldn't want her involved).

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Maybe it takes place after the current 'Tec arc and most of the Team is still injured and recovering from their wounds, although if that is the case it still should at least get a mentioned.
    Presumably Cass would still be in fighting condition (but Bruce likely considers her in a similar vain to the Robins and probably wouldn't want her involved).
    I dunno. Much as I'm on team #adoptCass, I don't think they've really formed a father-daughter bond just yet in this continuity. And it's not a matter of skill because if Bruce is saying NuCass is still good enough to beat him, then she's a few steps ahead of the Robins.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post

Tec team gets owned by fodder ninjas and soldiers, A Grundy wrecking Bane eats them.