Page 27 of 91 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    OMD didn't obliterate continuity. Every story still happened. You can read those stories knowing the marriage aspect was undone but Peter and MJ's relationship still impacts current continuity and any story from that time can be referenced today. You can't say the same about DC stories from the past in relation to today.
    So Aunt May was still shot by a sniper during Civil War?

Peter still revealed his identity during the same story?

Peter & MJ still had a wedding, a honeymoon, a stillborn baby?

DC also has some 25 years publishing history on most of Marvel's characters. Give Marvel time. They've already recently gone nuts adopting DC's penchant for legacy heroes and alt-universes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    So Aunt May was still shot by a sniper during Civil War?

Peter still revealed his identity during the same story?

Peter & MJ still had a wedding, a honeymoon, a stillborn baby?

DC also has some 25 years publishing history on most of Marvel's characters. Give Marvel time. They've already recently gone nuts adopting DC's penchant for legacy heroes and alt-universes.
    Yes she was still shot we know this because it has been mentioned several times...
    Yes his identity was still revealed and it took reed, tony etc to use some of their knowhow to make people forget it... So yes to both of these. I assume you havent read these stories or you are trying to pretend they didnt happen?

Yes they had planned the wedding but they did not go through with it. I dont know if the honeymoon specifically has been mentioned but some marvel people have stated there never was a baby now. So changes yes, but still very small ones. As for the "DC has more years" well sure they might have 25 years on them but they started rebooting more then 30 years ago...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Yes she was still shot we know this because it has been mentioned several times...
    Yes his identity was still revealed and it took reed, tony etc to use some of their knowhow to make people forget it... So yes to both of these. I assume you havent read these stories or you are trying to pretend they didnt happen?
    So--if she was shot because Peter revealed his identity, and the Kingpin targeted him and Mary Jane, but the assassin's bullet hit May instead..

Was she ever lying there wondering why she was gutshot, especially after the illuminati put Peter's identity magically back in the can? Or.."how did I get this gaping bullet wound?"

Yes they had planned the wedding but they did not go through with it. I dont know if the honeymoon specifically has been mentioned but some marvel people have stated there never was a baby now. So changes yes, but still very small ones. As for the "DC has more years" well sure they might have 25 years on them but they started rebooting more then 30 years ago...
    I wouldn't say these were "small changes", and I'm not sure the distinction between DC Universe rebooting and something like OMD matters that much in semantics--it was the same effect.

Marvel also launched the Ultimate line to play around in.

Newbie Member

Vortex85 wrote: It's so weird to me to hear that the version of the character I was introduced to at the age of 9 years old is not the version that future generations should be introduced to because some people in suits think they know what kids like. What was wrong with Spider-Man the way I was introduced to him? Him being married was never a deterrent as a kid. It was actually one of the more aspiring aspects of the book to me. I hear this from so many fans who enjoyed the marriage and became fans during that era, but it's as if adults/powers that be think they know what kids want, but they couldn't be further off.
    Your way of thinking resonates with me.

I still remember the first time I picked a Spider-man comic, and my first impression was:

He is married to a read-head? How Awesome!!!
    Last edited by ryu77; 03-20-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: bad quoting

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No, never advertised as a reboot.

Assumed to be by some readers but never advertised as such.
    Care to back that up? I was there when it happened and I do remember what was being said and not said.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    There's an awful lot of curious MJ variants coming out...including one for Punisher that's gotten a bit of a buzz

And Marvel wonders why fans won't let go of OMD or think that it'll be undone sometime. The Spider-Man branding, as a whole is not OMD-friendly period.

Mighty Member

So--if she was shot because Peter revealed his identity, and the Kingpin targeted him and Mary Jane, but the assassin's bullet hit May instead..

Was she ever lying there wondering why she was gutshot, especially after the illuminati put Peter's identity magically back in the can? Or.."how did I get this gaping bullet wound?"

I wouldn't say these were "small changes", and I'm not sure the distinction between DC Universe rebooting and something like OMD matters that much in semantics--it was the same effect.

Marvel also launched the Ultimate line to play around in.
    I dont know if she did. Maybe she just thought it was because of Peters, not Spidey, connection to Tony that is still canon? I dont know, but what I do know is that you asked some questions and you got your answer and now it seems like you want to downplay does because of your bias against the post OMD stories.

I call them small changes. Compared to a whole multiverse dying, being smashed together and whole teams and heroes histories no longer existing yes I do think the distinction is important. Saying that the small changes of what happened after OMD is anyway in the same league as what DC has done with Crisis on infiniti earths, zero hour, infinity crisis or New 52 is laughable. I get that you could have a moral problem with OMD, but saying the aftermatch comes even close to what DC has done over the years is silly.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Care to back that up? I was there when it happened and I do remember what was being said and not said.
    You made the initial claim so why dont you back it up? I was there to and all I saw from Marvel itself was lines like "this is the end of the marvel universe" etc. Fans called it a reboot but the people involved where either silent or said non-clues like "wait and see".

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Guess this thread has no end...

Here's what I think, Spider-Man, married or not, has overall been cool to me, regardless of how stupid I will tell you OMD was. Guess I am not married to a certain status quo for the character. That's all.

BANNED

I dont know if she did. Maybe she just thought it was because of Peters, not Spidey, connection to Tony that is still canon? I dont know, but what I do know is that you asked some questions and you got your answer and now it seems like you want to downplay does because of your bias against the post OMD stories.

I call them small changes. Compared to a whole multiverse dying, being smashed together and whole teams and heroes histories no longer existing yes I do think the distinction is important. Saying that the small changes of what happened after OMD is anyway in the same league as what DC has done with Crisis on infiniti earths, zero hour, infinity crisis or New 52 is laughable. I get that you could have a moral problem with OMD, but saying the aftermatch comes even close to what DC has done over the years is silly.
    The claim was "OMD didn't obliterate continuity. Every story still happened." This is a patent falsehood and I've highlighted why (OMIT itself proves that statement incorrect).

You can quibble over the perceived magnitude, but the aims of both OMD and DC's various resets were not whatsoever dissimilar.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Guess this thread has no end...
    So long as Marvel keep dangling the carrot themselves like they just have today, no, there's no end in sight.

You made the initial claim so why dont you back it up? I was there to and all I saw from Marvel itself was lines like "this is the end of the marvel universe" etc. Fans called it a reboot but the people involved where either silent or said non-clues like "wait and see".
    Fair enough. I did try to double check on quotes online but couldn't find anything, so I may have been a little frustrated when I made that reply. Where would we go to double-check anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    So long as Marvel keep dangling the carrot themselves like they just have today, no, there's no end in sight.
    Pretty much.

I am doubtful, but would really like there to be some SORT of closure to the devil deal, even if it doesn't fix the marriage. I hate to see a world, post devil deal where Mephisto won and Peter (and everyone close to him) lost...And it just goes on forever THAT way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by farmernudie View Post
    I am doubtful, but would really like there to be some SORT of closure to the devil deal, even if it doesn't fix the marriage. I hate to see a world, post devil deal where Mephisto won and Peter (and everyone close to him) lost...And it just goes on forever THAT way.
    Agreed--and hey man, welcome back.

Mighty Member

The claim was "OMD didn't obliterate continuity. Every story still happened." This is a patent falsehood and I've highlighted why (OMIT itself proves that statement incorrect).

You can quibble over the perceived magnitude, but the aims of both OMD and DC's various resets were not whatsoever dissimilar.
    Everyone has acknowleged that small changes happened, but the stories themselves still happened.

And I am certaintly not the one doing any quibble here I am just not ignoring actual comic history because I am stil mad about a story thats almost 10 years old.
    Saying that OMD and everything DC has done over the years is such a silly statement and anyone trying to look at this even a little objectively would see that.
    Btw you never answered my question: Did you just not know that some of the things you tried to point to, like the identity reveal still happening, was already addressed or where you just trying to make it seem like there were bigger plotholes then there actually are?

This really reminds of the whole thing the last couple of years where people kept saying that Harrys return was never addressed when it quite clearly was years ago in a pretty good story.
    Last edited by Bor; 03-20-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough. I did try to double check on quotes online but couldn't find anything, so I may have been a little frustrated when I made that reply. Where would we go to double-check anyways?
    As I said I dont remember seeing Marvel themselves claiming it was a reboot so I would not know. I dont see how, if I am right, I would be able to proove a negative.