Page 29 of 91 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    As I said I dont remember seeing Marvel themselves claiming it was a reboot so I would not know. I dont see how, if I am right, I would be able to proove a negative.
    Well, specifically, I was trying to find quotes from Marvel from when they were doing publicity for Secret Wars. I can't seem to find anything, but I'm not sure if that's because it's buried farther than I've searched or if you're right and they never said that. (I do remember a quote that the Powers That Be said Secret Wars was or was not a reboot as the reader prefers, and I'm positive that that was the final word after an initial announcement that Secret Wars would reboot the main comics and then them saying no the wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, specifically, I was trying to find quotes from Marvel from when they were doing publicity for Secret Wars. I can't seem to find anything, but I'm not sure if that's because it's buried farther than I've searched or if you're right and they never said that. (I do remember a quote that the Powers That Be said Secret Wars was or was not a reboot as the reader prefers, and I'm positive that that was the final word after an initial announcement that Secret Wars would reboot the main comics and then them saying no the wouldn't.
    There's a feature on twitter that allows you to search for comments made on particular days (or on a range of days.) That could help if you're looking for comments a prolific tweeter made during a particular time.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Jimmy and Amanda's Harley Quinn book has always been a wonderfull seller for DC for sometime.
    After over a decade of not charting well against Marvel titles, I think it's great that a number of DC characters with their own high-rated network TV shows and big budget movies coming up are putting up a fight on the charts.
    I'll say it again and again, DC's Rebirth did gangbusters for them-- and it's really helped boost some of their most iconic properties. Good for them!
    and almost all articles i've read that offer a clinical/balanced analysis caution that it we can only make a conclusion once the initial thrust of rebirth has settled. will those titles retain their readership? apparently n52 sold very well initially as well.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    and almost all articles i've read that offer a clinical/balanced analysis caution that it we can only make a conclusion once the initial thrust of rebirth has settled. will those titles retain their readership? apparently n52 sold very well initially as well.
    May 2016 - March 2017 with most of the titles nearing issue #20, and while some books have inevitably dipped, many others are still selling high.

How much more "initial thrust" do you need to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's a feature on twitter that allows you to search for comments made on particular days (or on a range of days.) That could help if you're looking for comments a prolific twitter made a particular time.
    The quotes I thought I read weren't on Twitter; I don't follow Twitter and they were too long. I actually think they were excerpts from interviews that showed up on different websites (like the analogy of Secret Wars being like two pizzas slapped together). Thanks for the tip though, it would be worth checking just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    May 2016 - March 2017 with most of the titles nearing issue #20, and while some books have inevitably dipped, many others are still selling high.

How much more "initial thrust" do you need to see?
    i like it when we talk "thrusting"

12 months is a drop in the ocean in any business or industry. newly launched products and services can have a healthy year or two but that doesn't always translate to longevity. from what i can see, new 52 began to plateau at around the 8 month mark which puts rebirth ahead in terms of success but i would hold out until the rebirth meta narrative has played out before even thinking about making a call on its continued success.

i know that rebirth has touched a chord with a lot of disgruntled fans and the idea of its success is validating for you/them/those/they. i don't have any particular dog in this fight, so i'll just keep it boring and factual for now.

this recent article is a good read. most of it is about some guy named spencer, but the closing paragraph is much wisdoms.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...vs-dc-rebirth/

But Spencer is right about another thing. If the comics are being returned and the sales numbers are back to pre-Rebirth numbers already, that doesn’t bode well for the long-term success of DC’s Rebirth. Whether that says something about DC Rebirth itself, or about the overall event and reboot/relaunch cycle that Spencer’s own employer, Marvel, is an even worse offender at than DC, is up for debate though. And if DC’s meat-and-potato-focused Rebirth event is such a poor example to follow, why is Marvel copying it later this year with a “meat and potatoes” relaunch of their own? There’s something rotten in the state of comics — we agree — but the smell is coming from both Marvel and DC, as far as we can tell.
    troo fan or death

i like it when we talk "thrusting"
    You're making this this thread look like two seals fighting over a grape. Get a roof! p

12 months is a drop in the ocean in any business or industry. newly launched products and services can have a healthy year or two but that doesn't always translate to longevity. from what i can see, new 52 began to plateau at around the 8 month mark which puts rebirth ahead in terms of success but i would hold out until the rebirth meta narrative has played out before even thinking about making a call on its continued success.

i know that rebirth has touched a chord with a lot of disgruntled fans and the idea of its success is validating for you/them/those/they. i don't have any particular dog in this fight, so i'll just keep it boring and factual for now.

this recent article is a good read. most of it is about some guy named spencer, but the closing paragraph is much wisdoms.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...vs-dc-rebirth/

But Spencer is right about another thing. If the comics are being returned and the sales numbers are back to pre-Rebirth numbers already, that doesn’t bode well for the long-term success of DC’s Rebirth. Whether that says something about DC Rebirth itself, or about the overall event and reboot/relaunch cycle that Spencer’s own employer, Marvel, is an even worse offender at than DC, is up for debate though. And if DC’s meat-and-potato-focused Rebirth event is such a poor example to follow, why is Marvel copying it later this year with a “meat and potatoes” relaunch of their own? There’s something rotten in the state of comics — we agree — but the smell is coming from both Marvel and DC, as far as we can tell.
    So, the moral of the story is that the comics industry is dying and everyone is using cheap gimmicks to delay the death rattle?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    You're making this this thread look like two seals fighting over a grape. Get a roof! p
    now there's an image

So, the moral of the story is that the comics industry is dying and everyone is using cheap gimmicks to delay the death rattle?
    that's certainly one interpretation. i took it more as the jury is still out over rebirth's long term success and that even if we're getting warm fuzzies about the return of wally west, to keep in mind that both marvel and dc are locked in an event/reboot/relaunch/bigsomething cycle and it's just the label that changes (all new all different/back to basics/rebirth/ meat and potatoes)...i didn't necessarily get that it was heralding the big crunch of the industry though.
    troo fan or death

now there's an image
    Well, there original one can be found here, so I guess we have something to compare the thread to.

that's certainly one interpretation. i took it more as the jury is still out over rebirth's long term success and that even if we're getting warm fuzzies about the return of wally west, to keep in mind that both marvel and dc are locked in an event/reboot/relaunch/bigsomething cycle and it's just the label that changes (all new all different/back to basics/rebirth/ meat and potatoes)...i didn't necessarily get that it was heralding the big crunch of the industry though.
    Okay.

The bolded part, that's the reason I avoid most comics, given that I don't like that set up.

Mighty Member

Bor, ask yourself how could "every story have still happened" when the very nature of OMD / OMIT made certain stories happen significantly differently? This is a paradox.

Yeah, I read OMIT.

But if the Illuminati made everyone in the world of the Marvel U forget the identity reveal happened, how is that really different than a reset like Crisis On Infinite Earths?

And you'll notice I didn't mention that aspect, knowing it was explained away in the Molten Man arc of BND.
    Matamorphis, ask yourself how could "every story not have happened just because they were in comitted relationship instead of being married". Certain stories with the exception of the wdding and baby does not have to have significantly different and if your bias against post OMD werent as strong I think you would be able to see that.

How is the Illumaniati making people forget anything at all like Crisis? What they did was a story element that changed peoples memory. It still happened. Crisis literaly changed the past so no one, wit a very few exceptions, knew there had ever been other universes or that they were destroyed. What they did were people specifically forgetting his identity and changed digital recordings. It still happened. The difference there should be obvious to anyone.

Actually that aspect was more adressed in one of the satalite titles. Extra or family maybe? Dont really remember but it ended with Peter and Harry playing ball together.

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

This thread made me make an account.

The marriage attracted me to the character as a kid, and Renew Your Vows is the first Spider-man comic I bought since pre-One More Day. This is from my Roger Stern Omnibus, and it pretty much describes why I liked Spider-man as a kid.

k00erIag.jpg
    Last edited by Fearless Heart; 03-21-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Smile "You just have to look at sales." Okay, let's look at sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You don't have to poll anyone. You just have to look at the sales. If fans were against a single Spider-Man, sales would've collapsed. Many fans at the time predicted they would. They didn't.
    I was bored and had a wee bit of time on my hands so I decided to do exactly what you said. I went to Comichron and looked at sales for Spider-Man.

Courtesy of Comichron, here are the sales numbers:

SEPTEMBER 2007
    Amazing Spider-Man #546 - 146,170 (this was the penultimate chapter to One More Day)

Now let's look at 2017...

JANUARY 2017
    Amazing Spider-Man #23 - 73,773

Sales on ASM are down 72,397--a drop of roughly 50% from pre-BND.

Looks like a lot less people are buying ASM now, by the tens of thousands.
    And I think it is safe to say that Marvel is aware of that, too.
    Last edited by Blackest Knight; 03-22-2017 at 10:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    I was bored and had a wee bit of time on my hands so I decided to do exactly what you said. I went to Comichron and looked at sales for Spider-Man.

Courtesy of Comichron, here are the sales numbers:

SEPTEMBER 2007
    Amazing Spider-Man #546 - 146,170 (this was the penultimate chapter to One More Day)

Now let's look at 2017...

JANUARY 2017
    Amazing Spider-Man #23 - 73,773

Sales on ASM are down 72,397--a drop of roughly 50% from pre-BND.

Looks like a lot less people are buying ASM now, by the tens of thousands.
    And I think it is safe to say that Marvel is aware of that, too.
    And ASM Vol. 4 #23 was a higher-than-average selling issue, at least compared to previous months, thanks to the Gwen Stacy cover.

Someday I would love to see an accurate graph charting ASM sales from say 1999-present.

i once cared about the marriage. i don't anymore and my comics are still enjoyable. for film and television, romance is needed. within comics, for me personally, i don't think that it is integral to story telling. i read the first issue of RYW. it was pretty good, just waiting on the trade right now to see how the first arc goes.

but for now i will keep reading ASM and SM/DP.

And ASM Vol. 4 #23 was a higher-than-average selling issue, at least compared to previous months, thanks to the Gwen Stacy cover.

Someday I would love to see an accurate graph charting ASM sales from say 1999-present.
    I looked at sales for multiple months just in case certain posters jumped on my case about it and tried to claim I wasn't looking at the full picture. Au contraire, I most certainly did.
    For example, let's add in Ultimate Spider-Man's sales in 2007. In September 2007 (when ASM hit a peak of 146k), sales on USM (which had 2 issues that month) were at 67,445 and 66,662. That's 134,107 copies sold for USM plus 146,170 for ASM.

Grand total? 280,277 copies. That's almost 300,000 Spidey books sold for just those 2 books combined in just one month of 2007.

In January 2017, the totals are:
    ASM - 73,773
    Clone Conspiracy - 54,947
    SM - 47.517

Grand total? 176,237.

280,277 minus 176,237 = a drop of 104,040 copies a month.

We could look at other months, but so far all the numbers from Comichron show sales on Spider-Man books are down by the tens of thousands.