Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Apocalypse involved in Weapon X

I am aware that Chris Claremont originally intended for Apocalypse to have had some involvement with Wolverine getting his adamantium skeleton; it was even hinted at in a number of stories. But then it was forgotten, and Marvel eventually had Romulus be the other player in the Weapon X project. Is there any way Apocalypse could still have had something to do with it though?

SSJ Ultra Mega Super God JustAnotherFan's Avatar

I guess it's always possible for them to reveal that Apocalypse was the one who was always really behind Weapon X and that Romulus was just working for him or something but I'd rather they not do that. There has already been multiple masterminds being revealed behind the Weapon X project, first it was some shadowy person, then it was hinted that it might have been Apocalypse, then it was part of Weapon Plus super-soldier program which was also responsible for Captain America's creation then it was Sublime and then Romulus.

Honestly I just prefer to think that Weapon X is a part of Weapon Plus that eventually went rogue and became an independent operation that is restarted anew every now and again (with a new mastermind, new direction & new MO) and let's just leave it at that. It's better when we don't know every single detail about it and when the mastermind(s) behind it are some shadowy characters over some larger than life big bad like Romulus or Sublime or Apocalypse or whoever it is this week.

As a sidenote, I don't remember if it has ever been hinted at in 616 but I'm pretty sure that some other continuity hinted that there was a possibility that Wolverine himself was the one who volunteered for the Weapon X project to be made into a living weapon because his life at the moment sucked so hard or whatever (no, I'm not talking about that awful XMO:W here as I distinctly remember it being a comic or a cartoon where it was hinted at) and I always kind of liked that. Maybe he was drugged and captured by some government agents or maybe he just voluntarily signed up for it, the ambiguity of it all is what makes it interesting and more tragic for his character when there's the possibility that the person to blame for it all is actually himself! (Or maybe not, who knows!)

Fans can imagine for themselves which one is the truth which honestly is better since after all these years no revelations will be as good as what many fans have imagined in their own minds.
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 03-12-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Fantastic Member

Back in 1989, '90, there was a prestige format one-shot entitled WOLVERINE:JUNGLE ADVENTURE written by Walter Simonson, and art by Mike Mingola. In the book Wolverine was attacked by a cyborg which was created in the Savage Land. He follows the trail to a lab run by a robot doppelganger of Apocalypse that went bugnuts. It was capturing the natives of the Savage Land, and altering them into cyborgs. Then sending out said cybernetic organisms to hunt down mutants, and kill them. Wolverine destroyed the Apocalypse doppelganger, wrecked the lab, and saved who he could. In his search of the lab Logan finds on the mantel a human skull made of adamantium, or a skull bonded with it like his own skeleton was. He freaked out when Apocalypse himself, via a hologram communication, thanked him for taking out the rogue robot, and admitted to at least leaving a trail of breadcrumbs for Logan to find the lab. So even back then there was an effort to tie En Sabah Nur to Wolverine's creation.

I think Sinister being involved somehow would be the best explanation, just because it fits his MO.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Ok here goes:

Yes Apocalypse was going to be made the mysterious backer behind The Professor. Claremo t intended it, however he took too long with his plots.

Grant Morrison revealed Weapon X was 10 and part of the Plus Programs. since then Romulas was revealed to be the mysterious voice from BWS Weapon X Seriel.

and yeah @BishopJuice91 Sinister is involved in a way. back in 1945 Professor Andre Thornton of weapon x found the journal of Nathanal Essex aka Sinister and from there helped Form the Weapon Plus Program and obsorbed Project Rebirth dubbing it Weapon 1. from there he worked for them till X when Sublime was at Plus The Prof was threatend with a ahut down he slintered X from Plus. backed hy Romulas he messed with Team X and used the bonding process on Logan.
    X-Fan for Life.
    Team Romy

I'd just as soon write Romulus out of the Logan and Marvel comics history all together. I actually like the idea that Wolverine was created by man and not some grand scheme of a celestial demi-god (lets be honest Poccy fits this). If there had to be a major player behind it all I would be okay with it being Apocalypse or Sinister.
    Please bring back any Wolverine.

I've heard of this abandoned plot too. I hope, at some point, it gets revisited because I think it makes a lot of sense. Even with Logan dead, having a revelation like this could really shake up Wolverine's world and put X-23 in a tough position since she's friends with Kid Apocalypse in All-New X-men.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my official publishing blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I'd just as soon write Romulus out of the Logan and Marvel comics history all together. I actually like the idea that Wolverine was created by man and not some grand scheme of a celestial demi-god (lets be honest Poccy fits this). If there had to be a major player behind it all I would be okay with it being Apocalypse or Sinister.
    I'm perfectly fine with revealing Romulus is just some genetically enhanced Wolverine clone and all his shocking revelations are just part of some larger plan of Sinister of Apocalypse.

Seriously, Romulous is the worst character since Xaviers evil twin sister that nobody knew about or Nightcrawler's dad Satan.

Death of Wolverine brought it back to Dr. Cornelius and that's how I like it. Last thing Wolverine's backstory needs is more convolution.

lol, Romulus was THE WORST. Needs retconning so bad asap.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    No, he needs universal eradication... Good thing the multiverse was recreated -- hopefully we'll never hear of him again!
    Time travel is optional.
    "Off panel", is a laughable defense.
    If it wasn't printed... It didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    He really was. I vote for him to be retconned as an experiment of Sinister's who escaped and went mad, believing himself to be some immortal lupine mutant who predates Logan and Creed. This is because he was created from their DNA, so he's fixated on them and Weapon X.

Something like that, and at the end Logan decapitates him like a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    I think Sinister being involved somehow would be the best explanation, just because it fits his MO.
    Like what the movies are doing?
    "Did you know that half of the teens in America are virgins? Not because they haven't the right person, but they haven't found the right teacher. " ~ Arsenio Hall

Gallifrey endures. Blackphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    He really was. I vote for him to be retconned as an experiment of Sinister's who escaped and went mad, believing himself to be some immortal lupine mutant who predates Logan and Creed. This is because he was created from their DNA, so he's fixated on them and Weapon X.

Something like that, and at the end Logan decapitates him like a boss.
    Sounds good. Either that, or the Secret Wars reality alterations erased him from existence. Whatever gets rid of that idiotic character.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Death of Wolverine brought it back to Dr. Cornelius and that's how I like it. Last thing Wolverine's backstory needs is more convolution.
    it did yes. but the problem with Drath of wolverine is the,plot holes. no explanation on how Cornelius is,alive again. not to mention he wasnt the only one. much les the mastermind for Weapon X that was the Professor
    X-Fan for Life.
    Team Romy