Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe

What happen to Sony's plan to make Ghostbusters have its own cinematic universe. Is it because the reboot was mediocre.

Sony Pictures is planning to create a Marvel-style “cinematic universe” based on the Ghostbusters films
    Ghostbusters would not even work as a big film universe, Its just too small to be expanded in a marvel style.

Okay thanks
    There was a time above... a time before... there were perfect things... diamond absolutes. But things fall... things on earth. And what falls... is fallen. In the dream, it took me to the light. A beautiful lie.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Yeah there isn't much you could do beyond try and sell toys and games. But Sony dropped the ball massively on this film. The trailer killed it. Plus at last check those holding onto hopes home video will save this film will be disappointed. The film has only done $32 million in home video sales.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Gho...6)#tab=summary
    \
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Incredible Member

But it just won a Kid Choice Award. That'll bring in the big bucks.

{Seriously, what were those kids thinking, unless they were all dazzled by the bright colors. Wonder how much Sony had to pay to buy that award}

Mighty Member

I'm assuming Sony's deliberately trying to tank their film division on purpose at this point.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I'm assuming Sony's deliberately trying to tank their film division on purpose at this point.
    Sony had some ups and downs last year film wise. The films they really didn't put much behind did way better than what they obviously expected. Films like Sausage Party , Don't Breathe and Money Monster didn't have huge budgets behind them. Yet did very well. In terms of the 1st , 2 films I named ...they likely have started franchise films if Sony goes down that road.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    What happen to Sony's plan to make Ghostbusters have its own cinematic universe. Is it because the reboot was mediocre.

Ghostbusters would not even work as a big film universe, Its just too small to be expanded in a marvel style.
    the movie lost 70 million dollars i think that put a end to the franchis for now we may get a reboot down the line but we still have the Animated film in the works as for a film universe it can work see the ghostbusters international comics to see how.

Incredible Member Iron_Legion87's Avatar

The reboot wasn't as good as the originals but it certainly wasn't the train wreck people on the internet claimed it would be. I wouldn't mind them doing a sequel and fixing some of the issues the first one had. But I don't see how a Ghostbusters cinematic universe would work since there aren't any super heroes or anything in the Ghostbusters universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    The reboot wasn't as good as the originals but it certainly wasn't the train wreck people on the internet claimed it would be. I wouldn't mind them doing a sequel and fixing some of the issues the first one had. But I don't see how a Ghostbusters cinematic universe would work since there aren't any super heroes or anything in the Ghostbusters universe.
    You don't need superheroes to have a shared universe. A lot of stuff Stephen King has written takes place in the same universe.

You just need to start making movies about whatever that reference the Ghostbusters film in some way.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You don't need superheroes to have a shared universe. A lot of stuff Stephen King has written takes place in the same universe.

You just need to start making movies about whatever that reference the Ghostbusters film in some way.
    Ghostbusters shared universe would not work in anyway, It would get repetitive, other ghostbusters stopping a gozer type of threat on different parts of the world?.

I kind of remember seeing comics where the Ghost Busters had a cross over with the Turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    I kind of remember seeing comics where the Ghost Busters had a cross over with the Turtles.
    While I'm not a fan of the newer TMNT movies, I would watch the hell out of a Ghostbusters (the new version) meets TMNT film.

Ghostbusters shared universe would not work in anyway, It would get repetitive, other ghostbusters stopping a gozer type of threat on different parts of the world?.
    The current IDW comics do a good job of a larger universe. They follow the first two movies and the video game.

Currently in the comics there are three teams of Ghostbusters -- two (the originals and a second group led by Janine, but who predate the 2016 GBs) based in NYC, and one based in Chicago. The two NYC teams mix and match their members (much like how the Giant Size X-Men team rescued the originals, and then much later on both teams were integrated into one), which allows them to tackle smaller cases with good agility. They'll do a variety of cases -- sometimes a murder mystery, sometimes a sci-fi romp in another dimension, and sometimes larger arcs like ancient conspiracies. And lately the Ghostbusters were hired to tackle international cases, so they would take turns where half would travel and half would guard NYC. The Chicago team lends itself to side stories but are called in when major shit goes down.

But that's just one universe. The book established the existence of other parallel universes, with many of them with their own Ghostbusters. They've had crossovers (in-canon, even) with the Real Ghostbusters, and there's an upcoming crossover with the 2016 movie cast.

The thing with a shared universe with major Gozer type threats is that you'd have to vary up how that story is told or the villain's motivation or such. The MCU has a number of villains who want to take over the world in their own way or wreck as much havoc as they can, but they can still coexist because they're going after the same goals in different ways. And even then, those goals may be similar but not the same, or even in a different off-world location altogether. What if there was a Ghostbusters team that specialized in operating in the netherworld? How would a team with classic GB tech fare against aesthetically and culturally different ghosts in a different country? Dan Ayrkoyd's original idea for Ghostbusters was to have them time travel before Ivan Reitman told him it was too much for 1984 -- what if there was a squad who did just that?
    "Until the lion learns to write, every story will glorify the hunter."
    --African proverb

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The current IDW comics do a good job of a larger universe. They follow the first two movies and the video game.

Currently in the comics there are three teams of Ghostbusters -- two (the originals and a second group led by Janine, but who predate the 2016 GBs) based in NYC, and one based in Chicago. The two NYC teams mix and match their members (much like how the Giant Size X-Men team rescued the originals, and then much later on both teams were integrated into one), which allows them to tackle smaller cases with good agility. They'll do a variety of cases -- sometimes a murder mystery, sometimes a sci-fi romp in another dimension, and sometimes larger arcs like ancient conspiracies. And lately the Ghostbusters were hired to tackle international cases, so they would take turns where half would travel and half would guard NYC. The Chicago team lends itself to side stories but are called in when major shit goes down.

But that's just one universe. The book established the existence of other parallel universes, with many of them with their own Ghostbusters. They've had crossovers (in-canon, even) with the Real Ghostbusters, and there's an upcoming crossover with the 2016 movie cast.

The thing with a shared universe with major Gozer type threats is that you'd have to vary up how that story is told or the villain's motivation or such. The MCU has a number of villains who want to take over the world in their own way or wreck as much havoc as they can, but they can still coexist because they're going after the same goals in different ways. And even then, those goals may be similar but not the same, or even in a different off-world location altogether. What if there was a Ghostbusters team that specialized in operating in the netherworld? How would a team with classic GB tech fare against aesthetically and culturally different ghosts in a different country? Dan Ayrkoyd's original idea for Ghostbusters was to have them time travel before Ivan Reitman told him it was too much for 1984 -- what if there was a squad who did just that?
    Look at the original two Ghostbusters movies, it was not made to be a huge MCU style shared universe. Sony is just forcing that Idea because they want to compete with Disney/Marvel.

As for the comics you mention, it should only be in the comic series.

Class 5 Roaming Vapor BeastieRunner's Avatar

Cyke pretty much covered this but between the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, the current IDW comics, and some of the classic NOW comics there's more than enough room to tell lots of varied stories.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium