Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman #19 (spoilers)

I'm sooooooo excited, I can barely contain myself for another week.

spoilers:
    New 52 Superman is back! He is Red! We're going to have them be the same guy at the end of this, and I couldn't be more happy. New 52 counts! Pre-Flashpoint counts!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    I'm sooooooo excited, I can barely contain myself for another week.

spoilers:
    New 52 Superman is back! He is Red! We're going to have them be the same guy at the end of this, and I couldn't be more happy. New 52 counts! Pre-Flashpoint counts!
    end of spoilers
    While I'm glad that's the route they're going I don't think everyone will be happy with it.

It's the best compromise for both Supermen fanbases.

spoilers:
    Instead of having EITHER Pre-Flashpoint OR New 52, make them both the same guy.

I, for one, was vehemently against losing New 52, while others were longing for Superdad. Why not both

This actually gets me to pick ALL of the Superman titles.
    end of spoilers

My thoughts on the issue: WTF????
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-15-2017 at 01:22 AM.

For anyone who just wants to get to the meat of it reveal-wise, spoilers:
    Mxy outright says (but does not clarify how or why) that Superman was split into Mr. El and the New 52 version, with the latter - who Mxy blames for not saving him just as much as his counterpart - exploding into what's noted as "red energy". He also refers to the incident as "the hope and optimism (being) split", making it clear with that word choice this has something to do with the larger Rebirth storyline. As Superman and Lois maneuver through a cosmic board game based on their lives to get to the top of a fifth-dimensional version of the Daily Planet where Jonathan is trapped, the boy meets a pair of glowing electric red orbs, who manage to communicate with him. When the Kents reach the top Mxy reneges on the deal and starts to eliminate their memories of Jon anyway, but the red energy bonds with Jon and lets him hurt Mxy - on the last page, it materializes fully into the New 52 Superman and Lois.
    end of spoilers

At this point while Superman's clearly going to go through some serious scale of cosmic facelift by the end of the arc, I suspect the actual mechanics of what happened to him before and why are going to be kept secret a while longer - probably into 2018 - unless the final chapter ends up essentially one massive infodump. And given that even so close to the end it's only feeding us drips and drabs, if a pretty major one in this case, I don't see that happening. spoilers:
    Plus as noted this apparently has something to do with the larger events of Rebirth, meaning aspects of it are almost surely going to be kept secret for now.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 03-15-2017 at 01:30 AM.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Yeah, there's definitely going to be a lot of unanswered questions after next issue, but at least we'll have final confirmation of what pretty much everybody had already guessed: Nuperman and SuperDad are the same guy, who were split in two by a pair of big bads--presumably Mr. Oz and Dr. Manhattan

*Since this thread says spoilers on it, I'm gonna assume those reading have already read the issue or don't care about spoilers*

Loved this issue so freakin much, man! I haven't felt this much hype for an issue of this run since like issues 10 and 11. This issue delivered, for me.

-Loved the game board game motif! A twisted version of the DP building that Superman and Lois have to climb up is fantastic.

-Love that Clark had to sign a contract, and Mxy welches on the deal at the last second.

-Loved how at the end Clark was just going off mainly pure instinct.

-Loved everything that came out of Mxy's mouth.

-I particularly liked how Jon meets the New 52 versions of his parents.

-I freakin knew Lana's chat with Lois and Clark in Superwoman #8 wouldn't just amount to "it was just dream talk." That mean the Lois that Lana sees again in Superwoman #9 is the now complete version of Lois.

Also given that ending, I feel like no one can just write this cover off as "symbolic" or anything else. It's pretty much confirming that Superman's history will be altered after Reborn

Also Gleason's art?

PS. Calling it now: Jon will gain a version of Lana's electrical powers, and Lana--even though she won't have them anymore--will show Jon the ropes. I postulate that Jon's powers will go dormant after Reborn because they're preparing for his newest one.

I mean, the kid just looked too right with that energy. Though, they may change the color to blue or blue and red (positive and negative charge)

The issue was so much fun. The only problem I've with the issue is Mxy's appearance. I prefer Dini's Mxy instead of Gleason's scary as hell Mxy. Everything else is nicely done. Does both pre and post flashpoint stories count now? Now that they have merged, I hope Superman's powers would get a boost. This is the perfect time to give Superman the powers Lana had imo. Excited for action comics 976.

New paint, same engine Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Also given that ending, I feel like no one can just write this cover off as "symbolic" or anything else. It's pretty much confirming that Superman's history will be altered after Reborn
    No doubt, but it's still a vague cover.

PS. Calling it now: Jon will gain a version of Lana's electrical powers, and Lana--even though she won't have them anymore--will show Jon the ropes. I postulate that Jon's powers will go dormant after Reborn because they're preparing for his newest one.
    So then she'd be in the Steel armor?

Also Gleason's art?

I mean, the kid just looked too right with that energy. Though, they may change the color to blue or blue and red (positive and negative charge)
    I was hoping that Superman would get a power boost. The red energy belonged to Nuperman gave Lana her powers. Now that the energy has gone back to Superman, it's fine if they give him the electrical powers. There is a really good chance of what you said happening too.
    Last edited by The Learner; 03-15-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The cover for Superwoman #10 shows Lana crafting her own armor.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    No doubt, but it's still a vague cover.
    True, but ever since I saw it I always thought the change into a suit that was neither new 52 nor post-Reborn pointed to a change in history.

Given the cover of issue #10 and the fact that Lana apparently has to prove herself to be a "Super Woman" (notice how the words are not together), I'm pretty confidant in thinking she'll be using armors from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    I was hoping that Superman would get a power boost. The red energy belonged to Nuperman gave Lana her powers. Now that the energy has gone back to Superman, it's fine if they give him the electrical powers.
    I feel like a new power would go down better with the still forming Jon rather than the solidified Superman. I doubt they'll even give Superman the super flare back, honestly.

Even if it's just one last time, that last page made me happy.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

spoilers:
    I'm not one to toot my own horn..but I kinda sorta called it all months ago with who was who and how this is all shaping up. Nuperman is SUPERMAN RED, Superdad is SUPERMAN BLUE. Both are Superman, always were, and their almost inevitable merging will give us a "new" Superman that canonizes both Pre-2011 and Post-2011 as canon. Now, granted, I may be wrong HOW they were split and when. My theory was they are the electro Supes twins from the 90's and somehow they never really merged back like we thought, with RED disappearing somehow and BLUE continuing to live the life of Pre-Flashpoint Supes. Convergence and Flashpoint hit, Blue and Lois go missing due to BRAINIAC's meddling, as the universe is reformed needs a Superman, Red is trasformed to Nuperman , lives that life until recent events. This issue insinuates the split was more recent, however.

Yet, we have another chapter to go, so maybe I will actually be 100 percent right and the split IS the 90's version. Either way, I can't wait until next week.

Personally, I think this is the best outcome. Nuperman wasn't a fake, but neither is Superdad. They are both the "real" native to this Earth and continuity Superman. So all of this talk about Superdad and Lois stealing the lives of their previous selves and invasion of the body snatchers analogies can thankfully be put aside, as it turns out it IS their life too. They just didn't know.

Aside from MAYBE the SM/WW shipping stuff (which I think the WW book is ruling as an illusion or something? Haven't been reading it so I honestly don't know),it looks like Nuperman's 5 years of comics are still canon and that continuity is fair game, which is honestly great. I have been critical of certain aspects and executuion,but there is some good to salvage from that era, like some of the new rogues ( THE PHANTOM KING!) and supporting characters (Shay Veritas, Lee Lambert and...Jon Carrol*!), Plus, it acknowledges those stories did occur and that the readers who invested in those stories aren't having those thrown completely out, so it does respect that fanbase far more than the ones DC pretty much told to go leave in 2011. I'm happy for those guys that Nuperman isn't some clone, or construct or villain etc. He is Superman and so is the other guy.

Is everyone going to get what they want. No and we never will. However the compromise that's starting to take shape is making me very happy and I'm hoping the sane among us can reunify as a fan base and hopefully DC keeps the quality high. Speaking of.....

*KIDDING! No one cared about Jon Carrol. Not even Nu Lois as it turned out. trololololol!

end of spoilers

As for the issue itself. Lots of surprises and a few answers that made me go "**** yeah!" . Mxy may not actually be evil,but boy is he scary. As a whole this storyline has felt shorter than I expected,but it beats the several month long never ending crossover events we've had for awhile, so I can't really complain, as it has been satisfying and enjoyable so far.The art was great and that last page....wow.

In seven days....SUPERMAN IS REBORN for real. The hype is high.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.