Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

So, that would make him 27-28 ish by the start of Superman #1. Add , say a year and a half or so in comic book Time with the events of everything from SUPERMAN #1 to #52 and you have him about 29-30, which is Superman's usual in canon age.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well you also have to add in how long it took Supes to reach earth from Krypton. In most versions he's said to have traveled 3 to 4 years in suspended animation. So, 27 minus 3 years ish equals 24 at the oldest.

Although technically, his actual age was 27 but when taking into account his journey here, he was 23 ish.

Also, now that I think of it, that back up story you got that panel from , while it was published in the back of one of Morrison's " past" stories, I think it itself was set during the present day meaning NOW ( as in 2012 lol) it had been 27 years since KRYPTON exploded.
    Yes, it was set in present day.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don't think Superman and Lois will be any younger. All the covers suggest he is the same height as he was before Reborn.

Nuperman and superdad were the same height.there was no glaring difference between them physically besides their face and hair
    #BRINGBACKKON

-Mutation is a bitch

-Don't mess with the "S"

-kon is humans trying to recreate God(Superman)

-what do you give a half kryptonian clone to be super,TACTILE TELEKINESIS of course

Kon-el appreciation thread
    http://community.comicbookresources....l-Appreciation!
    Young Justice (comic and TV) appreciation thread
    http://community.comicbookresources....c-and-tv-show)

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's a mixture of factors. One was that the new Superman was having a bit of a time outrunning the craptacular reputation that the company had initially tried to build him on. Initially, they likely thought bringing in people like Perez and Jurgens on New52 would do it, but that didn't happen. So Rebirth became a way to tell older fans "look, we get it, we're sorry" - and it worked. I wouldn't be here without at least "Superman: Lois & Clark" and I'm excitedly here because of Rebirth. Hell, it even changed my stance on New52 Superman by letting me separate the character from DC PR bull. I actually wouldn't mind going back and reading the New52 books to get a better sense of things - something I couldn't do before with such a bad "taste in my mouth" so-to-speak.

Two, Jurgens initially pitches the "five years later" for New52 Superman and Lois to have Jon - but the fill in stories would take longer to bring the idea to fruition than they wanted, and combining this with the first point, a merger became their answer.

I actually respect the pride-swallowing it had to take for DC to do this.

Also...

Consider the New52 fan reaction if they'd rushed nixing SM/WW and threw Lois and Clark together. I can't imagine the reaction would be all that different, really. People would say "why even have the reboot if you're just going to turn my Superman into the crappy old version?" (I'm paraphrasing generalities here, but you get my point). The same Super-Wonder shippers would be hurt in much the same way they are now, certainly. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that there was no real way to quickly get from point A to point B that wouldn't get much the same reaction there is now. And this brings some of the other fans back in.

Granted, if it were me, they'd stay separate and have their own adventures (I still think a New52 Superman and Super-Lois and the Legion of Super-Heroes book would be amazing, but again that negates the Super-Wonder coupling).

They were kinda "damned" either way, the way I see it.
    This is exactly the way I feel. I'm impressed with DC owning up to their mistakes and I now actually have some interest in previous new52 material. In the past, I swore it off but now I plan on buying and reading through some of Nuperman's stuff and buying things like the John's Aquaman omnibus.

BANNED

You have to think that Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Batman were about 15 years into the career so there is your 10 year difference. (Comics are STUPID :-D) There wouldn't really be a height difference. And considering how Kryptonians age (See Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns) there wouldn't be much of a difference either way. SO yeah

I'm still not certain that they've merged, so much as Nuperman and NuLois have simply shown up because of Jon.

Also interesting to see Mxy admit he isn't powerful enough to do this. That's really not something he would normally admit to, but I guess it works in his favor with wanting to torment his "friend" who "forgot" him. Kind of like saying "I can't save you even if I wanted to. I didn't do this, someone else did. Still you are going to play with me as I want you to."

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Jurgens, the more I hear about the guy, the less I want him to write Superman.
    Wait, so he wanted to do exactly what you were talking about (New52 Superman and Lois have Jon) and you blame him for the switch?

All respect intended, but you know that basically proves my point, right? Unless you think the "they" I mentioned, who made the decision, included Jurgens - but it didn't. They made that decision, he was willing to play this in full New52 continuity. Technically, you should be lamenting that he didn't get his original pitch approved as-is.

"Last Son of Krypton" and "manofsteel1979":

Thanks for the clarification, guys - sorry about my mix-up earlier. I thought he was 22-23, too. Maybe it was my interpretation of his characterization. Either way, my bad!
    Last edited by JAK; 03-16-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

So I'm a bit late to the party on this one. Didn't get my issue until last night. Seems all the Superman Red/Blue talk was right. Which is pretty cool, considering it seems like we're heading for a merger of the two. It's a nice way to reference a Superman story that came up in the past a few times while merging continuities into a "both count" kind of deal. At least that's where I hope it all lands. I guess Superdad (or Superman Blue) is considered the anomaly as he's representative of the stolen history/10 years. While Nuperman (or Superman Red) is the continuation of Superman despite those missing years. I suspect we'll end up with the marriage and Jon back in place yet Superman and Lois will regain a bit of their youth to settle back into roles in the universe as it stands. The events of the New 52 will probably stand with some post-crisis sprinkled in during those missing years, like Doomsday and the death.

Also nice to see Myx as a real threat. He can take something from Superman that very few people can take, his memory and family. Plus I really like the angle that Myx is hurt that Superman didn't save him and he thought they were friends. It's a cool take and I can sympathize with Myx a bit. The contract was a nice touch too.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    SAlso nice to see Myx as a real threat. He can take something from Superman that very few people can take, his memory and family. Plus I really like the angle that Myx is hurt that Superman didn't save him and he thought they were friends. It's a cool take and I can sympathize with Myx a bit. The contract was a nice touch too.
    I really like how they are making Myx a real threat and yet at the same time they are making him a sympathetic bad guy. I find that take on the character to be an interesting one and I do really feel for Myx here even as I'm wondering if his time in Oz's prison hasn't unhinged him a bit. I'm quite anxious to find out how this all wraps up next week and in the aftermath issues as well.

Aftershock: Alters/Eleanor and the Egret/Rough Riders
    Dark Horse: Rebels
    DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/BoP/Blue Beetle/Bug/DoomPatrol/Flash/Gotham Academy/GLS/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Mother Panic/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans/Trinity/Wild Storm
    Image: Invincible, Monstress
    Oni: Angel City
    Valiant: Britannia/Faith/Ninjak/X-O Manowar
    Manga: Blue Exorcist/Devil's Line/My Hero Academia

I'm not sure if I said this or not already, but when New52 Superman flew up to face Mxy with New52 Lois and Jon in each arm, it was only the second time I heard the Superman theme song playing in my head in conjunction with a comic since the beginning or Rebirth. I used to read New52 Superman comics, and the theme song was almost always there. Something about the Rebirth Superman just never clicked as Superman to my subconcious, except on one occasion. New52 Superman making the dramatic rescue and reappearance immediately clicked. New52 Superman is the guy I want to read about.

I am not saying it's wrong for others to feel differently. It's just that even almost a year after they "killed" him, New52 Superman evokes for me personally a positive reaction that I don't get reading Rebirth Superman.

Maybe a merger will translate that quality, I don't know- but for it do so, I think they definitely need to make the New52 Superman part of the Reborn Superman's consciously remembered personal past and his personal makeup. It can't just be the spiritual type "I've got the red back, but my memory is no different than it was yesterday when I was Rebirth Superman".

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Maybe a merger will translate that quality, I don't know- but for it do so, I think they definitely need to make the New52 Superman part of the Reborn Superman's consciously remembered personal past and his personal makeup. It can't just be the spiritual type "I've got the red back, but my memory is no different than it was yesterday when I was Rebirth Superman".
    I think DC have learned their lesson about N52 informing the character too much. Youthful vitality is about all we're getting, as well as maybe space for the period Diana used him earlier in his timestream

And sorry that Superdad never evoked the theme song from you...especially when he has proven worthy of it for decades and will continue to do so with this era firmly in the rear view mirror.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-17-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I am not saying it's wrong for others to feel differently. It's just that even almost a year after they "killed" him, New52 Superman evokes for me personally a positive reaction that I don't get reading Rebirth Superman.
    I also feel that positive reaction after see him again.. I will enjoy this one last time.

Maybe this time I can leave my resentment behind.. Although, I will continue reading the same..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And sorry that Superdad never evoked the theme song from you...especially when he has proven worthy of it for decades and will continue to do so with this era firmly in the rear view mirror.
    Hey, Superman as he's been in Rebirth evokes the theme song for me.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Hey, Superman as he's been in Rebirth evokes the theme song for me.
    I know you do. So do a lot of us. It's funny Supercrab's all "Oh I totally understand everyone feels differently", but then posts provocative remarks like "Muh Superman deserves the theme more" with the likely awareness it can stick in people's craw.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Yeah, but of course SuperCrab will feel this way: the Superman iteration he cared a lot about got replaced by the Rebirth one, and the circumstances of their lives are very different, some aspects of he doesn't like. That's fair, even if it's also subjective.

The reverse is how I felt in 2011, for the most part, for much the same reasons (again, in reverse).

Now, I've certainly been excited as I used to be with the Rebirth comics, and I hope that continues after "Reborn". But my excitement doesn't negate others' skepticism, mistrust and disinterest, even as those in them doesn't negate my excitement.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/