Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Old Marvel Comics you miss the most

What old comics do you miss the most today where they were popular at the drug store, grocery store or at a super market? Back then I loved these

Marvel Comics Presents
    Any annuals for X Men or Amazing Spider Man
    What The?! an old childhood favorite of mine
    Groo during the early 1980s

Bonus. NOW Comics a big deal back then where it was Fright Night, Ghostbusters and Terminator

The last one that I remember haunting the racks at my neighborhood convenience was Marvel Saga. Formalizing a Marvel history was a concept doomed to failure, considering writers love to re-invent the wheel, but it was fun while it lasted.

I also miss Two-Gun Kid and the Ringo Kid. They were not great or insightful literature, but they were fun to read.

And, of course, the one series that I was constantly searching for in the racks was Jungle Action featuring the Black Panther. Don McGregor's writing and Billy Graham's artwork left me equally awed.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Back then, my faves were:

New Defenders (the team with Angel, Iceman, Beast, Moondragon, Gargoyle and Valkyrie)
    New Mutants (the first three years, from #1 up through the Sienkiewicz era)
    Dr. Strange and Strange Tales (the Roger Stern and Peter B. Gillis runs)
    Power Man & Iron Fist
    Micronauts: The New Voyages (we didn't have a comic shop, so I never saw the original run)

But, of course... those weren't what was 'popular'.
    Batman, Spiderman, Superman... those were the popular ones.
    I just have always had a hard time getting into what was popular for some reason.
    I have more offbeat tastes.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-15-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    "The definition of all ages is it’s not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Doom Patrol, Micronauts, ROM.

Ostrander's Heroes for Hire
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Fantastic Member

The old Sub-Mariner series from the late sixties. Every couple issues there would be a cool villain like Tiger Shark or Orka show up, with Stingray and Triton showing up in a buddy role. Loved every issue.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Have to agree on the old Sub-Mariner issues especially when John Buscema or Gene Colan was doing the art. Speaking of Namor, I miss the old Super-Villain Team-Up issues. It wasn't exactly consistent in the quality since it had many different writers and artists. I wish they had revisited that Sub-Mariner/Doom alliance with Dark Reign and the Cabal but they never really teamed up although they did talk about it right after the meeting with Osborn.

I also miss the old What If series. Every so often Marvel would do it as a mini event but they've not done one is some years
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

Ultimate Member

Some books are What If in all but name. Renew Your Vows is "What If One More Day Never Happened?" Spider-Gwen is primarily "What If Gwen Stacy Got Bitten By the Radioactive Spider Instead of Peter Parker?" and has also done "What If Captain America Was Female?", "What If Silk Was a Villain?", "What If Spider-Woman Was Male?", "What If Daredevil Was The Kingpin?" and a whole bunch of other things!

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

new warriors

What If series

Original Defenders

Original Avengers

Original Fantastic Four

Power Man/Iron Fist

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Some books are What If in all but name. Renew Your Vows is "What If One More Day Never Happened?" Spider-Gwen is primarily "What If Gwen Stacy Got Bitten By the Radioactive Spider Instead of Peter Parker?" and has also done "What If Captain America Was Female?", "What If Silk Was a Villain?", "What If Spider-Woman Was Male?", "What If Daredevil Was The Kingpin?" and a whole bunch of other things!
    Guess you're right about that. Spider-Girl started from a What If story and lasted 100 issues IIRC

Other series I miss:

Master of Kung Fu esp the Doug Moench/Paul Gulacy run.
    Tomb of Dracula (Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan)
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

The X-Men.

it appeared twenty years ago and only lasted 7 issues, but i really dug marvel universe and thought it had a world of potential. it was basically designed to showcase stories prior to fantastic four #1 hitting the stands; the first arc featured the invaders, the second arc paid tribute to marvel's monster hunter era.

Generation X, Lobdell/Bachalo era.

Slingers! What a fun comic, although the end issues were rushed due to cancellation.
    "Cría cuervos y te sacarán los ojos."

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    new warriors

What If series
    The entire current Marvel universe is a What If series.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    What old comics do you miss the most today where they were popular at the drug store, grocery store or at a super market? Back then I loved these

Marvel Comics Presents
    Any annuals for X Men or Amazing Spider Man
    What The?! an old childhood favorite of mine
    Groo during the early 1980s

Bonus. NOW Comics a big deal back then where it was Fright Night, Ghostbusters and Terminator

circa 1986 - 1990

everything, basically.

Even Marvel Age was fun for the insider articles and previews. Before the internet era.

catching the Marvel Universe character publication books. Again, before Internet Wikis on everybody.