Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

I've still yet to read the Legends of Tomorrow story with Firestorm, but from what I'm reading, I'm getting the sense that his return to Firestorm did not go as well as his return to Spider-Man, which seemed to do a better job of honoring the core and classic elements of the character while still progressing them...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Granted, while he hasn't done anything of note in the comics for a while, he's probably had the most media exposure he's ever had as of late, even if he's three different people across three different pieces of media .
    That's actually part of made me start this thread; between Injustice, the CW, and that new JLA cartoon, 'Storm is getting some solid media exposure. This is a great time to bring him back into the comics in a big way. And the whole Rebirth stuff, with altered timelines and cosmic foolishness seems like a great place to bring in a character who warps the molecular structure of reality itself.

What DC has done instead is throw an old school writer at the character, toss the character into an overpriced miniseries that didn't sell very well, and promptly forget him. And I hate seeing potential resources mismanaged, as both a comic fan and a business student.

I've still yet to read the Legends of Tomorrow story with Firestorm, but from what I'm reading, I'm getting the sense that his return to Firestorm did not go as well as his return to Spider-Man, which seemed to do a better job of honoring the core and classic elements of the character while still progressing them...
    I can't speak for the guy's Spidey run, but he certainly didn't progress Firestorm. He actually did a great job of pushing the character back a few steps. Im not trying to be down and out on the guy, I dont know Conway, I dont know anything about the man, and for all I know he's a really awesome person. But this series was not what Firestorm needed.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's actually part of made me start this thread; between Injustice, the CW, and that new JLA cartoon, 'Storm is getting some solid media exposure. This is a great time to bring him back into the comics in a big way. And the whole Rebirth stuff, with altered timelines and cosmic foolishness seems like a great place to bring in a character who warps the molecular structure of reality itself.

What DC has done instead is throw an old school writer at the character, toss the character into an overpriced miniseries that didn't sell very well, and promptly forget him. And I hate seeing potential resources mismanaged, as both a comic fan and a business student.
    Well, all that kind of predated the Rebirth branding for DC, so I don't think it should be indicative of a "Rebirth" of Firestorm so much as an attempt to return to the classic Firestorm, to varying degrees of success depending on who you ask.

I imagine Firestorm's return to prominence might be planned, especially given he was on that cast splash page in the Rebirth special, but like with, say, the Shazam family, the Legion, the JSA, it's still just a little ways off.
    I can't speak for the guy's Spidey run, but he certainly didn't progress Firestorm. He actually did a great job of pushing the character back a few steps. Im not trying to be down and out on the guy, I dont know Conway, I dont know anything about the man, and for all I know he's a really awesome person. But this series was not what Firestorm needed.
    You should! It's some great stuff, both his original run, taking over from Stan Lee, and his returns on Spectacular, Spiral, and Renew Your Vows .

I imagine Firestorm's return to prominence might be planned, especially given he was on that cast splash page in the Rebirth special, but like with, say, the Shazam family, the Legion, the JSA, it's still just a little ways off.
    I imagine you're right. It took a little bit for Vixen to show up in JLA after all. I dont doubt that DC has plans for 'Storm, I just think that letting those plans simmer on the back burner is wasting an opportunity.

You should! It's some great stuff, both his original run, taking over from Stan Lee, and his returns on Spectacular, Spiral, and Renew Your Vows .
    Perhaps someday, but honestly Im not much of a Parker fan.

Discipline = Freedom.

I imagine you're right. It took a little bit for Vixen to show up in JLA after all. I dont doubt that DC has plans for 'Storm, I just think that letting those plans simmer on the back burner is wasting an opportunity.
    I was saying the same thing when Supergirl was without a book for so long while her show was becoming a huge success, but that ultimately worked out so I don't doubt it'll be the same for Firestorm .

Perhaps someday, but honestly Im not much of a Parker fan.
    Fair enough. We can't like 'em all (though I try to), but still, good stuff .

I was saying the same thing when Supergirl was without a book for so long while her show was becoming a huge success, but that ultimately worked out so I don't doubt it'll be the same for Firestorm .
    I dunno. Did they maximize their profit potential with Supergirl? Sure its working out now but I just see a big loss of potential profit DC will never gain back.

Fair enough. We can't like 'em all (though I try to), but still, good stuff .
    Its weird. I like Miles. I like Gwen. I like other "screw up" or "regular person" characters like Roy Harper and Kyle Rayner. Ive enjoyed the Spider-Man movies (for the most part). I liked Holland in Civil War. But comics Parker just rubs me the wrong way.

Discipline = Freedom.

Incredible Member

Its weird. I like Miles. I like Gwen. I like other "screw up" or "regular person" characters like Roy Harper and Kyle Rayner. Ive enjoyed the Spider-Man movies (for the most part). I liked Holland in Civil War. But comics Parker just rubs me the wrong way.
    That kinda thing happens to me to, for whatever reason.

I dunno. Did they maximize their profit potential with Supergirl? Sure its working out now but I just see a big loss of potential profit DC will never gain back.
    Well, they've given her an ongoing with one of their top writers, Steven Orlando, and also had a tie-in comic to the TV show written by one of the more notable Supergirl writers, Sterling Gates.

I'm not sure how else they could've maximized their profits...had it launched closer to the show's premiere? But I think it worked better becoming attached under the Rebirth banner, since it was a true rebirth for the character.

I always find that weird given that, while their circumstances and some bits of their character or situation might be different, at their core I think both characters are pretty similar or reflective of Peter Parker and still take a lot of cues from him, so to have them seem more appealing to people then Peter has always been interesting to see.

Usually I would just chalk it up to experience with bad runs for Peter (lord knows there have been plenty for him in the past decade or so), but you never know...

But I guess that's just fandom for you .

I feel a similar way when it comes to Ronnie - Jason - Jax or Hal - John - Guy - Kyle.

Fantastic Member

Firestorm already had a Rebirth in the pages of the legends of tomorrow mini-series!

Spectacular Member

After reading this entire thread, the ideal book DC should do is a title called TEAM FIRESTORM. Team Firestorm would kinda be like Green Lantern Corps meets The Shazam Family which would focus on different participants of the Firestorm matrix and expand on the mythos of the character and the powers. Firestorm will also have a mixture of new and old villains for the series as well as new concepts never explored before.
    Last edited by Alpha Male; 04-17-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Amazing Member

I would just make Firsestorm Martin Stein. I don't think he needs the merger with Ronnie...and I preferred Ronnie with Jason anyways. Just something creepy and wrong with an adult man merging with a teenage boy. Plus, I preferred Stein's fire elemental look more than the disco Firestorm look.
    I would make Ronnie and Jason the "merged" hero and call them Fusion...it's nuclear based name and describes that they are fused together...

Honestly I wanted to like the LoT reinvention of Firestorm, but it felt like a letdown.
    The idea behind of the rebirth concept is not only recover the concept but at the same time give something new, different to expand the core concept and with Firestorm it felt like "now everything old is new again". It lacked of the hook to push Firestorm forward. The last time I was excited for a Firestorm return was in Brightest Day, whe the fusion of Ronnie and Jason discovered they would be to detonate.
    #Dr.Wertham would be proud of you.

I'm not sure how else they could've maximized their profits...had it launched closer to the show's premiere? But I think it worked better becoming attached under the Rebirth banner, since it was a true rebirth for the character.
    Well, a Supergirl book re-launched under the Rebirth banner would sell well regardless of what came before, as many of DC's books that've seen a sales increase can attest to.

Would launching a Supergirl title closer to the show's premiere have been good business? I cant say because I dont have access to DC's accounting data, but it's hard to imagine a set of circumstances where such a book wouldn't have generated any revenue.

I always find that weird given that, while their circumstances and some bits of their character or situation might be different, at their core I think both characters are pretty similar or reflective of Peter Parker and still take a lot of cues from him, so to have them seem more appealing to people then Peter has always been interesting to see.
    I think it's a matter of Parker being such a terrible adult; Marvel wants to keep the "struggling teen" appeal but also have Parker be an adult with an adult life, and what we often seem to end up with is a man-child who could be the world's greatest hero if he wasn't such a self-destructive twat.

But yeah the fact that I enjoy Gwen and Miles as much as I do is weird as hell given how I feel about Parker.

Usually I would just chalk it up to experience with bad runs for Peter (lord knows there have been plenty for him in the past decade or so), but you never know...
    That might just be my problem, though I've read more than a couple of the more recommended tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
    After reading this entire thread, the ideal book DC should do is a title called TEAM FIRESTORM. Team Firestorm would kinda be like Green Lantern Corps meets The Shazam Family which would focus on different participants of the Firestorm matrix and expand on the mythos of the character and the powers. Firestorm will also have a mixture of new and old villains for the series as well as new concepts never explored before.
    That's what Ive been leaning towards myself.

Discipline = Freedom.