Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Bruce has been a rotten father to all of his "sons" except Duke.

Thats not true, he's been good to Dick.

Amazing Member

I don't really see how you can blame Bruce for Jason's crimes (which -unless I'm forgetting the extent of his misdemeanours as Robin- only happened for a brief period after his resurrection). The horrific nature of his death, coupled with the betrayal by his mother, plus the trauma of his resurrection itself were all major influences in warping his psyche.

And you can't pin Joker's actions on Batman either; in the context of comics, where normal laws of logic or physic don't apply, I don't think hypothetical 'what ifs' are good arguments: For example while you can argue that if Batman had killed Joker earlier Jason's life would be fine...but in comics, there are literally dozens of scenarios where Joker could been resurrected himself, or one of the many other nutjobs in Gotham could have done something similar. Similarly, saying that becoming Robin put him in harm's way doesn't hold much water when Batman villains frequently rack up considerable killcounts during their rampages, meaning a kid on the street was always at risk of being a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Always happy to see someone thinks the same. Jason's death could have been an important part of Batman's character developement making him a better mentor, father and hero but instead Jason's death feels like any other superhero death in comics - meaningless. There was also the recent Batman issue where the boys were making fun of dying like in a bad fanfiction. It was a little bit funny but it also proved how meaningless death is in comics.

QFT.

I find Jason's constant cracks about his own death quite funny, but the group's collective attitude to death in general really does cheapen it. Like, Nightwing simply pretended to be dead for a while and that whole period is generally regarded with as much (if not more) gravitas as the genuine deaths of Damian and Jason.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gridde View Post
    I find Jason's constant cracks about his own death quite funny, but the group's collective attitude to death in general really does cheapen it. Like, Nightwing simply pretended to be dead for a while and that whole period is generally regarded with as much (if not more) gravitas as the genuine deaths of Damian and Jason.
    If you look how many Batfamily members died and returned in the last years there is no really reason to make Jasons death special imo.

And any effect on Bruce charcter development of Jasons death would be today close to 30 years later anyway not that important anymore. And Bruce is anyway alternating between working with his family and going lone wolf for at least the last two decades.

The only ones who pretend to try to write like it had even a third of that sort of impact are the former Graysons.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Bruce has been a rotten father to all of his "sons" except Duke.
    Not mention his Godson he hasn't seen since the 70s.