Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Action Comics #976 preview

From Comicsalliance:

You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Superman's reaction here is a little interesting - he notes Mxy 'seems' to have unlimited power, almost as if he wasn't actually sure how Mxy worked. Maybe the two of them never did have that proper first meeting by the time of Superman's death.

Jurgens seems to be writing this Superman a bit more in the Johns/Lobdell vein here, sadly. The snarling, the borderline-stupid impulsiveness, the note that "everyone knows Superman doesn't have a family" - maybe it's just to establish a contrast with Blue, but given the little digs at the New 52 guy from throughout the run, I do wonder if this is meant to paint a slightly less pretty picture than the other guy, even if it's clearly not going to the extent of villanizing him the way some were worried about.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

So it looks like they did merge... But at the moment at least Superman and Lois just have their New 52 memories only.

Makes you wonder how they resolve all of this. It also completely confirms Mxy had almost no role in the changes in Supes life and the split, but knows who did it and knows they are more powerful than him! That's pretty damn powerful
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Mighty Member

Thanks for sharing.

I guess this confirms the merging did occur, but N52 Lois and Clark are the prevailing personalities (at least it seems for the beginning of the comic), that'll definitely get Supercrab and other N52 Fans coughing up their wallets for the issue, rofl.

As Myx points out, there's more to this than meets the eye.

Nice still having Mahnke on pencils, he draws a mean Mxy .

So despite being fused, Superman and Lois have regressed back to their "younger selves" after getting hit with their energies, which is also coupled with not remembering Jon.

I wonder if Mxy's going to tease who was really behind the Lois and Clark split, if he really knows who did it. Oz? Manhattan? Someone else?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Superman's reaction here is a little interesting - he notes Mxy 'seems' to have unlimited power, almost as if he wasn't actually sure how Mxy worked. Maybe the two of them never did have that proper first meeting by the time of Superman's death.

Jurgens seems to be writing this Superman a bit more in the Johns/Lobdell vein here, sadly. The snarling, the borderline-stupid impulsiveness, the note that "everyone knows Superman doesn't have a family" - maybe it's just to establish a contrast with Blue, but given the little digs at the New 52 guy from throughout the run, I do wonder if this is meant to paint a slightly less pretty picture than the other guy, even if it's clearly not going to the extent of villanizing him the way some were worried about.
    Nah, I don't think he's that different from say, how Jurgens wrote Superdad and how he flew of the handle with Luthor when this current run started. I admit though, the " everyone knows Superman doesn't have a family" line from Lois here does seem a little on the nose and oddly echoes a lot of the Superdad critics and the strict Superman traditionalists who would rather he be unchanged from his pre 1986 status quo in regards to his relationship with Lois.

It is interesting that if this is indeed just Nuperman's actual memories and not just because the merged Superdad had his memories messed with by Mxy, it seems either Morrison's Mxy/ vyn story is out completely or Nuperman just forgot. Either way, it's a missed opportunity to tie everything together from the start of Morrison's story to now.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Mighty Member

In the one panel, his boots are the wrong colour.

So they merged, so I guess I was wrong on that not happening, but I think they are gonna switch again and have superdad in control.

Mighty Member

So I reckon everything now lies with whatever Myx decides to do...he's the one who erased Lois and Clark's memories of their love and Jon before the merge, he may give them those memories back, but he also says that requires abilities that are beyond his...all he can really off is the tip about Oz.

This story is really making me gain a lot of respect for Mxy as a villain.
    there is no "i" in denial

Mighty Member

Myx is the funtime Mephisto.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It is interesting that if this is indeed just Nuperman's actual memories and not just because the merged Superdad had his memories messed with by Mxy, it seems either Morrison's Mxy/ vyn story is out completely or Nuperman just forgot. Either way, it's a missed opportunity to tie everything together from the start of Morrison's story to now.
    Yeah, you have to realize that they are in the story, so they're not going to jump to these conclusions that we've been talking over for months. He's not suddenly going to jump back to that discussion with Nyxly.

Fantastic Member

Doesn't seem they're (DC) quite playing fair here.... Nuperman and Nulois seemed to know who Jon was in Superwoman, but seem to have forgotten here... apparently that memory didn't merge(?) And Jon was in a different place when he met the dematerialized Nucouple. Jon was "playing cards" with Mxy when we last left him (Dini). But obviously the last page of Superman #19 wasn't going to constitute a "win" for the Nu52 side anymore than anyone who still believes that Pre52 Superman makes a full return. Only the merger will restore the family in the end. But the inconsistency of detail kind of hurts the overall narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Doesn't seem they're (DC) quite playing fair here.... Nuperman and Nulois seemed to know who Jon was in Superwoman, but seem to have forgotten here... apparently that memory didn't merge(?) And Jon was in a different place when he met the dematerialized Nucouple. Jon was "playing cards" with Mxy when we last left him (Dini). But obviously the last page of Superman #19 wasn't going to constitute a "win" for the Nu52 side anymore than anyone who still believes that Pre52 Superman makes a full return. Only the merger will restore the family in the end. But the inconsistency of detail kind of hurts the overall narrative.
    I feel like we've gotta expect some plotholes in a story like this with two different writers and a ton of people behind the scenes, so I can't get too mad, especially when the story quality has been so good.