Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Star Trek: TOS Vs. Aliens

So, let's say that somehow, someway, Kirk and Co. find themselves on LV-426 during the events of Aliens (1986). The crew encounters a distress signal and, due to plot interference, their transporters don't work. Kirk orders a shuttlecraft down to the colony to investigate. Later, they find that the atmosphere is also interfering with their communicators -- they can talk to each other, but not the Enterprise, at least not without a more powerful radio. In essence, they've replaced Ripley, Burke, and the Marines.

The landing party consists of the senior staff: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, Chekov. They have their phasers, tricorders, communicators, and standard equipment (i.e. McCoy with his medicine bag, Scotty with his toolkit, etc).

From here on out, the rest of the movie plays out normally, including the power plant. Can our heroes find (but not rescue!) the colonists, defeat the Queen, and return to the Enterprise? Each round is a separate scenario, and the first time the crew meets the Xenomorphs.

Round 1: The crew circa Season 3 of TOS

Round 2: The crew (with Chekov and Spock) circa The Wrath of Khan (with bonus James Horner score)

Round 3: The NuTrek crew after the events of Beyond

Bonus: using standard equipment, how do casts of the other shows fare?
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    "Until the lion learns to write, every story will glorify the hunter."
    --African proverb

These could all work out in many different ways...

But what the frell is Kirk thinking putting his entire command staff on an away team?

Also, "right before the events of Aliens"... I take it that this means "sometime during the events of aliens" instead of "before the colony got attacked"?
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

But what the frell is Kirk thinking putting his entire command staff on an away team?
    Yeah, it's a question that's plagued much of Trek, like that one episode of TNG where the captain, chief engineer, head of operations, and ship's counselor went on vacation together.

Also, "right before the events of Aliens"... I take it that this means "sometime during the events of aliens" instead of "before the colony got attacked"?
    I'll edit to clarify. The colonists have disappeared (hence the distress signal), but otherwise instead of the Marines, it's the crew. So Kirk and the rest replace Ripley, Hicks, Bishop, and the bunch.
    --African proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

You say that as if it didn't happen every episode. Okay, it was usually more like half his command crew but still.

As to the movie, don't think I saw that one. I saw the original 1979 one and some more recent ones. Phasers are obviously going to be a huge advantage but depends on reaction time using them.
    The Four Levels of Competence
    Unconscious incompetence - where one is not aware one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious incompetence - where one has trained enough to finally figured out one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious competence - where one has skill, but needs to concentrate and think about everything as one is doing it.
    Unconscious competence - where one has hardwired stuff in enough that one doesn't actually think about what one is doing, but just does it.
    -SharpandPointies

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

They're going to need plot-shields to maximum if they want to survive this. The Marines were hardened soldiers with actual high-end military gear and training and most of them didn't make it out. Kirk and a bunch of other minimal-combatants with no advanced warning about the Xenomorphs (like Ripley gave to the Marines) and Sensors that can't detect the threat means at LEAST a dozen redshirts are going to bite it. And as he only brought command staff, that means trouble.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Now I'm wondering about a Vulcan-Xeno Hybrid and if it might bring stability and Logic to their race.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    They're going to need plot-shields to maximum if they want to survive this. The Marines were hardened soldiers with actual high-end military gear and training and most of them didn't make it out. Kirk and a bunch of other minimal-combatants with no advanced warning about the Xenomorphs (like Ripley gave to the Marines) and Sensors that can't detect the threat means at LEAST a dozen redshirts are going to bite it. And as he only brought command staff, that means trouble.
    Agreed. If it just amounts to a garden variety "Away Mission", I can't see it being anything except the sound of humanoid bodies hitting the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post

Ok. What if Ripley joined them?
    --African proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Ok. What if Ripley joined them?
    With the film's heads up? Or, are we talking the group with Ripley in tow walking into Xenomorphs doing who knows what?

Astonishing Member The Chou Lives's Avatar

Two things.
    1: What kind of phasers do they have as in tos. Onecould super heat rocks as camp fires and batteries were used to power a shuttle macguyver style.

2: Tricoders are better sensors than what the marines had as they depend on infra red and the motion sensor detected motion. But not pin point.

If it's the Aliens situation they are still screwed due to numbers and xenonstats.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    With the film's heads up? Or, are we talking the group with Ripley in tow walking into Xenomorphs doing who knows what?
    Ripley meets with them in space and joins them in the shuttle. She'll let them know what she knows before they disembark.

Two things the Trek crew have over the Marines (characterwise) are that: 1. They're nowhere near as cocky going in, and 2. They don't have anyone as panicky as Gorman.
    --African proverb

Fantastic Member

The original series Phasers came in 2 flavors, Phaser 1 and Phaser 2, 2 being the stronger of them. Also the phasers had a wide beam setting, In at least 1 episode we see them using that and taking out multiple enemies at the same time. The other thing is they aren't going to have to worry about molecular acid blood, The phaser either knocks you out or vaporises you. No blood spatter. The minute the aliens look hostile, the phasers come out and it's all over. The aliens will never reach them and they can clear them out with no problem. you should also remember the phasers come with battery packs so if they have more than one pack they can go all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Ripley meets with them in space and joins them in the shuttle. She'll let them know what she knows before they disembark.

Two things the Trek crew have over the Marines (characterwise) are that: 1. They're nowhere near as cocky going in, and 2. They don't have anyone as panicky as Gorman.
    So thus they are going to be fully kitted out for battle when going down and losing contact with the Enterprise? Kirk won't mess around with deadly aliens as he has hunted down at least one Ahab-style, so beyond the standard weapons I see them maybe bringing down some high explosives or the ingredients and equipment to make some fun chemical toys that Bones & Spock could come up with to screw with things that have Acid for blood.

If they are still stuck with the standard loadout and just supplied with Info I think they are fucked as they might know better how to respond but not have the extra energy packs and such to make a winning fight out of it. They could rig a few things from the wrecked colony but like a fallen Captain in an episode of TOS I can't remember the name of said "But they just kept coming!"

And thus I continue to ponder about how a Vulcan-Xeno would increase their natural psi-potential on top of the Logic angle. Of course any captured folk might save enough of their phaser power to trigger an overload rather than wait to beg someone to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Now I'm wondering about a Vulcan-Xeno Hybrid and if it might bring stability and Logic to their race.
    It's more likely to bring green acid, superstrength, and uncontrolled rage to their species. Vulcans are not naturally logical and serene. It's an aquired skill.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

If Ripley actually gets them to buy into the concept of the Xenomorph, I have a tough time buying that the usual "Away Mission" sort of scenario happens.