Mighty Member

Default Old School Disney or Modern Disney

What era of Disney did you prefer for animated movies and cartoons, classic disney 1928-2004 or the modern era 2005-todays animation. Which one did you think was more creative or the one you see as very lacking.

Whats everyones view on this.

Old school Disney was reliant on a number of classic fairy tales and I feel like they basically ran out. The majority of those stories and movies are great, but you could tell they ran out of steam at around The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Current Disney seems more sustainable. Frozen and Moana have been huge hits, and I thought they were really good. Wishing Disney would just do what they used to and have the same results seems pretty unrealistic.

I think your timeline is off. Or what do you think happened in 2004 that is important?

1989 is the year Little Mermaid came out, which was the beginning of the Disney Princess juggernaut. Yes there were Princesses before, but Little Mermaid and then Beauty and the Beast, really allowed it to take off.
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"That's the problem with our opposition – they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I think your timeline is off. Or what do you think happened in 2004 that is important?

1989 is the year Little Mermaid came out, which was the beginning of the Disney Princess juggernaut. Yes there were Princesses before, but Little Mermaid and then Beauty and the Beast, really allowed it to take off.
    I ment when they used the 2D hand drawn animation alot in the past, now its just all CGI for the movies these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    What era of Disney did you prefer for animated movies and cartoons, classic disney 1928-2004 or the modern era 2005-todays animation. Which one did you think was more creative or the one you see as very lacking.

Whats everyones view on this.

Your description of 'Classic Disney' is a crazy big net. There should be, like, five eras:

- When Walt was alive
    - Right after Walt died when things weren't as good but they were still on top
    - Long lull period
    - Disney Renaissance
    - Shorter lull period
    - Now

I'm pretty confident saying the "Walt Disney is alive" period was the most creative - I mean, they were groundbreaking innovators for several decades: in terms of animation they were unparalleled in quality (the other studios went funnier in part because they knew they couldn't compete in terms of animation quality), essentially invented the animated film and kept experimenting with it, pioneered the live action family film and did tons of innovation with special effects there as those film often had fantasy and sci-fi elements (like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), and then Walt invented the gall-durn amusement park in his final decade of life!

Now I think Disney is pretty much on par with the Renaissance period; so tied for second place. That's just the stuff they label 'Disney,' though. Marvel is Disney. Lucasfilm is Disney. ABC is Disney. etc. etc.

Renaissance was the best for me but i was born in the late 80s so im bias. Beauty and the beast,aladdin,Lion King,Hunchback etc.... ill take Goofy Movie over most disney movies from other era's.

Mighty Member

I wonder if the creation of Mulan film was influenced by the Disney's support of LGBT.

I can't wait for Disney to make an animated film of Chevalier d'Éon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_d'Éon

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

A few months ago somebody posted on here and did a pretty good job of dividing Disney animation into several distinct eras.

My favorite period is probably from when Walt was alive... "The Jungle Book" being the last animated feature he personally worked on. Some of the stuff from the modern Pixar/Disney era ("Toy Story" to now) is comparable in quality to that period... my two favorite Disney animated features are "Sleeping Beauty" and "Inside Out."

My least favorite period was when the 80's/90's "renaissance" finally fell apart under the weight of tired formula and bad art, beginning around the time of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and continuing until Disney finally gave up on 2D animation after the "Home on the Range" failure.
    Last edited by AndrewCrossett; 03-17-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Veteran Member

Whichever era gave me Aladdin and Lion King. Oh and props to The Little Mermaid for coolest villain death (they shanked a witch with a ship!).

Aladdin and Little Mermaid would be in my top three but for quantity of quality I would have to go with the original classic era. Also I'm a big fan of the shorts that Disney made back in the 30s-50s. I'm glad to see Disney 'nailing it' again with creative and commercial success.

Aladdin
    Little Mermaid
    Sleeping Beauty
    Peter Pan
    Jungle Book
    Alice in Wonderland
    One Hundred and One Dalmations
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

^^Hunchback was a downer, IMO their first misstep in this era was Pocahontas. However Tarzan and Aladdin were very good, although I haven't re-watched Tarzan in ages. That movie was always going to be judged on 'historical accuracy,' by trying to turn it into a 'princess' story.

I wish Disney would actually make Don Quixote some day so they can cross that off their list of projects that have been in on-and-off development since the Walt era, like The Little Mermaid, Snow Queen and Reynard the Fox and Chanticleer. I mean Don Bluth made Chanticleer into Rock-a-Doodle, but perhaps enough time has passed for that concept to be revisited. With the success of Zootopia I'm sure Disney will be developing more 'animal' projects.

Around the time of Pocahontas and Hunchback is when Disney inexplicably made the decision to downgrade their art and animation to Cartoon Network levels... grotesquely designed characters done in solid colors with no shading or textures, telling stories so formulaic and predictable you could practically time the story beats with a stopwatch. Schlocky, overproduced songs clearly written for radio airplay rather than for the movie. Just way too much laziness and arrogance by a studio that clearly thought people would flock to see anything with the Disney logo scrawled on it.

It basically killed 2D animation in the U.S., and Disney didn't find its way back until they snapped up Pixar and assimilated it.

Mighty Member

Disney has princesses like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Moana. It is good that Disney has recently decided to dive into diversity.
    Both Moana and Pocahontas are the daughters of chieftains, so they count as princesses.

Princess Jasmine, Aladdin's girlfriend, is an Arab.
    Pocahontas is a Native American
    Mulan is Chinese
    Esmeralda (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) is a French Gypsy.
    Moana is Polynesian
    Tiana (The Princess and the Frog) is a Black American

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Disney has princesses like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Moana. It is good that Disney has recently decided to dive into diversity.
    Both Moana and Pocahontas are the daughters of chieftains, so they count as princesses.
    MOANA: "I'm not a princess, I'm the daughter of a chief."

MAUI: "You wear a dress and you have an animal sidekick. You're a princess."

Whatever era gave us smoking, drinking, tango dancing Mickey...

(lol shoe stays on wall)

Last edited by Güicho; 03-18-2017 at 04:16 PM.

For films, I was a 90's kid so obviously The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King were my faves. Although I also had strong bonds with Mulan and Hercules. But I do think some of the stuff they've been putting out lately (like Moana and to a lesser extent Frozen) are rivaling the Disney Renaissance.